The Big Stick, USS Iowa, BB-61 underway!

SlaterDoc

Zeph, thanks for posting those pix! :thumbsup:

Wow, even in her current condition, the Iowa is still a babe of a ship! Can't wait to see more pix as her refurb progresses.

Terry

VirtualMariner
So Virtual and Jim are both OSs? I was as well. Made 1st and got out after 10 years.

Yes, sir. Former OS2. Did four years of active duty, as well as some Reserve time. Had some broken service in the mix, but my relationship with the Navy lasted more or less from '88-'97. Now I volunteer my spare time to the Coast Guard Auxiliary...mostly because the Navy doesn't have one. :lol:

Aside from the 3 of us former OS's that posted to this thread, I've seen at least one more on the Forums...maybe more. I think Salvage Sailor was an OS, or perhaps and RD (or both), depending on when he was in.

Yes, sir. Former OS2. Did four years of active duty, as well as some Reserve time. Had some broken service in the mix, but my relationship with the Navy lasted more or less from '88-'97. Now I volunteer my spare time to the Coast Guard Auxiliary...mostly because the Navy doesn't have one. :lol:

Aside from the 3 of us former OS's that posted to this thread, I've seen at least one more on the Forums...maybe more. I think Salvage Sailor was an OS, or perhaps and RD (or both), depending on when he was in.

Very cool. I served from '84-'94. We have the Navy League here and I've been thinking of joining/volunteering.

I waffle back and forth about whether I should have stayed in for the other 10 or if I did the right thing in getting out when I did. I miss the guys I served with and I truly enjoyed what I did.

I retired as an OS1 in 1992, and LOVE that retirement check I get every month. I spent almost all of my time in the reserves, and would have loved to have made OSC, but most of the years when I was eligible, the Navy promoted very few guys. I remember 1987, when they only made 7 Chief OSs in the whole Navy - reserve and active.

Zeph, thanks for posting those pix! :thumbsup:

Wow, even in her current condition, the Iowa is still a babe of a ship! Can't wait to see more pix as her refurb progresses.

Terry

Not a problem. She is impressive. As I metioned earlier, I hope to go down and see her after she has been through the painting program. It would be great to have the before and after comparisons here.

Thanks,

Zeph