1920's wing set

tarheelyankee

tarheelyankee

Hello all. Here is a scan of a set of early wings in my collection. The U.S.'s were not with the wing and the collar insignia as they are unmatched. Put them here as they would go with the matched set of wings/prop. Unfortunately only one collar wing/prop when I purchased the grouping. Not ID'd. Wings are the 2 3/4 inch size and are stamped "sterling" not raised. Collar device is 2 piece and the prop is sterling. Tom (Tarheelyankee)

post-6897-1320530388.jpg

Tom –

I have an identical wing that I’m curios as to whether it’s legit or not. I’ve had it for several years. The back is stamped BB&B and Bronze – the Bronze is in script. The wing is very thin, just under 1/16” with a very thin silver wash. The detail is crisp and the edges are sharp. It’s a handsome wing but why would a pilot buy such an otherwise cheap wing. Also, why would BB&B make a wing from bronze when sterling was not that expensive in the 20s. One reference I have (Thirty Years of U.S. Army Pilot Wings by Fitzimmons) indicates the wing was post WWI replacement but proved very unpopular and was quickly discontinued. I would appreciate any opinions.

Jim

post-20555-1320599758.jpg