5th Bomb Wing patch

Sjef

The DESIGN was approved, as a coat of arms and DUI, in 1924, and was in use before Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii. At that time, the unit was the 5th Bombardment Group, supervising B-17s and B-24s. It later was assigned to the 13th AF, Solomons to the Philippines.

The Patch is the 5th Bombardment Wing (Heavy) and it looks like its from the 1960's

Mark

Thanks, Mark and Ski!

Although my original question was actually about the date when the design was first used (instead of this particular patch), it is still very useful information.

I should have formulated my question better.

The DESIGN was approved, as a coat of arms and DUI, in 1924, and was in use before Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii. At that time, the unit was the 5th Bombardment Group, supervising B-17s and B-24s. It later was assigned to the 13th AF, Solomons to the Philippines.

Thanks, J!

Was it this exact design? I have seen some variants without the ox head and also without the shield.

Pretty much the same, and, yes, the water buffalo head goes back to 1924. BTW the Group started in 1919, but the coat of arms came five yrs later. The colors green and black were the Air Svc "branch" colors in WWII; not sure when the blue and golden orange came or why the 5th did not change the colors to "update".

• 4 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Here's one from my collection, 5th Bombardment Wing patch, KIAI O KALEWA The Bomber Barons, made by N.S. Meyer

5th Bombardment Wing N S Meyer 001.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...