My start for a display uniform

Darktrooper

DSCF0773.jpg

The Coat is an AG-344, and the pants are AG-44, they came together.

I added the MP collar brass, National Defense Service Medal ribbon, white Lanyard and 3rd Army Brassard.

Here is my question for the Experten on 60's era uniforms.

Is the Wear and Appearance Regs back then similar to now where you wear the Regimental crest on the right side of the uniform?

Im not going to add much to the uniform for display because I want a basic look to it. Im gonna add the MP ascot to it when it goes on a mannequin. I think Less is more.

Here is my question for the Experten on 60's era uniforms.

Is the Wear and Appearance Regs back then similar to now where you wear the Regimental crest on the right side of the uniform?

Im not going to add much to the uniform for display because I want a basic look to it. Im gonna add the MP ascot to it when it goes on a mannequin. I think Less is more.

No, the army regulations that governs the wearing of uniforms changes every so often. The regulations you are trying to represent is AR 670-1 dated Feb 1968. At this time the new high top MP brassard started to be worn. No, regimental crests were worn at that time; not until the 1980s. The white pistol lanyard looks a bit odd like that. You only wear the lanyard when you are going to wear the pistol and then you usually have your leather belts on with the pistol holster. Remember the lanyard is not a decoration. Everything else is OK, however a black plastic name tag was worn over the left breast pocket. Most MPs would have worn their uniform dressed up a bit more. Distinctive unit insignia would likely be worn on the epaulettes unless the solder was in Basic or AIT. Also most MPs would have worn the pistol qualification badge on the left pocket flap and usually a rifle marksmanship badge as well. Also if he was a MP assigned to a division he would have been at least a private 2nd class, unless he had been demoted. He should have been promoted by the time he graduated from AIT. Remember MPs only wore the MP brassard when on MP duty, I don’t remember wearing my brassard without the normal leather gear worn by MP, except maybe when I took a photograph or something. The uniform would be more realistic without the brassard unless you add leather gear. If you add the leather gear, consider adding a brass whistle and whistle holder (crossed pistols with the 1960s era open triggers, not the 1970s type) this was worn by most MPs when on duty. Hook the whistle chain under the left epaulette. Also if I am not mistaken the 3rd Army MP wore a different type brassard until the early 1970s I will have to pull out my brassard collection to be sure, so your display uniform might be better call an early 1970s uniform.

No, the army regulations that governs the wearing of uniforms changes every so often. The regulations you are trying to represent is AR 670-1 dated Feb 1968. At this time the new high top MP brassard started to be worn. No, regimental crests were worn at that time; not until the 1980s. The white pistol lanyard looks a bit odd like that. You only wear the lanyard when you are going to wear the pistol and then you usually have your leather belts on with the pistol holster. Remember the lanyard is not a decoration. Everything else is OK, however a black plastic name tag was worn over the left breast pocket. Most MPs would have worn their uniform dressed up a bit more. Distinctive unit insignia would likely be worn on the epaulettes unless the solder was in Basic or AIT. Also most MPs would have worn the pistol qualification badge on the left pocket flap and usually a rifle marksmanship badge as well. Also if he was a MP assigned to a division he would have been at least a private 2nd class, unless he had been demoted. He should have been promoted by the time he graduated from AIT. Remember MPs only wore the MP brassard when on MP duty, I don’t remember wearing my brassard without the normal leather gear worn by MP, except maybe when I took a photograph or something. The uniform would be more realistic without the brassard unless you add leather gear. If you add the leather gear, consider adding a brass whistle and whistle holder (crossed pistols with the 1960s era open triggers, not the 1970s type) this was worn by most MPs when on duty. Hook the whistle chain under the left epaulette. Also if I am not mistaken the 3rd Army MP wore a different type brassard until the early 1970s I will have to pull out my brassard collection to be sure, so your display uniform might be better call an early 1970s uniform.

Thanks for the info on the regimental crests, i felt that it would have looked out of place and wanted to make sure.

If I remember correctly they didnt change the rank system till after Vietnam, so a PFC would only have one stripe and the PV2's still wouldnt have had one. As For the 3rd Army Brassard, I have two of them and they are the same.

Will, I am in the Army, (as an MP as a matter of fact), so I do know where the name tag goes.

The Uniform is going to go on a mannequin, but Im about to move and dont have the space, and the uniform went into a Clothing box after I took the pic.

I do have the leather gear, the hangers the uniform is on now wont take the weight of duty belt on there! The lanyard is hooked to the pocket so it dont catch on anything till i can get a mannequin.

The only name tag i have to put on the uniform is my own!

You are right on the 1968 regulation on the rank of PFC. I went by the PFC rank I wore when promoted to PFC during MP AIT in 1973, guess I learn something everyday. I checked on the brassard. The one you have would fit 1968 or after. Prior to that some brassards had an extender to allow the unit patch to be worn, but it was of a different style. At least you got me to drag out my old collection of 30 or so different styles of MP brassards, out of the attic. Now I am thinking of displaying them.