Officers’ and EMs’ re-tailored “Ikes”

Sabrejet

That must be a pretty unique uniform! I've never seen one like that before. I'm amazed at how much GIs apparently "got away with"!

Beautiful "Ike" conversion and grouping with great provenance! The combat wings and patch might be British made? Thanks for helping to revive this old thread! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Here's my small contribution to this excellent topic.

First, a converted enlisted man coat from an unidentified (not now at least) member of the 5th inf div :

post-10981-0-36506700-1354657519.jpg

Second is another EM coat converted to "Ike" style. 22nd FAB, named to a "Cranmer" (and another laundry number which is hardly readable).

post-10981-0-18515300-1354657400.jpg

Ben

• 4 months later...

With thanks to Ian/Sabrejet for the education about these re-tailored Ikes and to RustyCanteen for getting me back to this thread. I can now bump it up with my limited contribution of which I'd never have noticed without Sabrejet's teaching.

9th AF Ike named to Lt. Charles Bilby of the 402nd FS, 370th FG. Plastic buttons, narrow waist band and shoulder epaulets, covered buttons down the middle and no officer braid on the sleeves.

BilblyIke_zpsa180578f.jpg

9thShoulder_zpsd726836a.jpg

9thIke_zpse4f7df64.jpg

9thsleeve_zpse19f1270.jpg

9thWaist_zpse8ebd146.jpg

Un-named 8th AF Ike that I 'had to have' after learning all I did from Sabre. Seems to me this one should be pinned too btw. I learned lots.

I justified it as within my narrow goal of filling out the uniform of an ETO fighter pilot. OK so I have and 8th and a 9th now. So shoot me!

Lighter color, regular 4 pocket buttons, wider epaulets, and wider waist band, along with the officer braids on the sleeves. About as the same and as different as you can get I guess.

8thIkeJ_zps30999e39.jpg

8thIke_zps8aba29b0.jpg

8thShoulder_zps6c73fdbd.jpg

8thwaist_zps3cec189a.jpg

Yet another sharp example of the type! Note how the brass buckle from the original belt has been used to make a battledress-style waistband.

This truly is an informative thread. I fell in love with these cut-down jackets after acquiring this one. Saberjet helped Identify it as a cut down cadet jacket. It is named to B-17 pilot Alvin H. Nurre (429th Bomb Squadron, 2nd Bomb Group, 15th Air force)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/162417-2nd-aaf-captain-cut-down-ike/

DSCN0584.jpgDSCN0586.jpgDSCN0587.jpgDSCN0588.jpgDSCN0589.jpgDSCN0590.jpg

I like that one!

One of the interesting things was looking at the differences in the individual tailoring. I'd never have paid attention had Sabrejet and the other folks sharing their examples, pointing out the differences both in the appearance and quality of the work. I very much appreciate that education.

Thanks!

Also I don't know if it was already discussed, but I am curious if anyone knows what a conversion like this would have cost?

• 1 month later...

Here is a very recent pickup. I have just re-focused my uniform collecting to the cut down/re-tailored jackets. This one has all the bells and whistles. It came with pinback wings and I am not sure if the ones that came with are original. Anyway here it is.

Mike

post-1387-0-48974600-1371081328.jpg

That's a real beauty Mike...proper "battledress" style with some terrific bullion work!

Thanks Ian! here is a close up of the SSIs. Best bullion work I have seen. There is a laundry mark in this one so I may be able to ID it someday.

Mike

post-1387-0-79069600-1371118214.jpg

post-1387-0-20985100-1371118226.jpg

Outstanding pick up Mike! I'm jealous for sure. Great addition to your collection!

Kevin

Thanks Kev!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hello all!

I'm posting these at Ian's request in another thread, I'm very honored to accept his invitation. I'm pleased beyond words they'll be preserved here.

My best wishes to all,

Joe

post-48324-0-88560800-1377981743.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

Thanks!

Also I don't know if it was already discussed, but I am curious if anyone knows what a conversion like this would have cost?

I was once talking to a vet who had a photo of himself wearing a cutddown jacket. I asked him about it and he said that he loved it, looked great and always stood out. Said he walked into a shop in France with his jacket and 2 packs of smokes and they had it done within 2 hours. Start to finish.

Tyler

• 3 months later...

Bringing this one back up to show this expertly re-tailored shirt into an "IKE" style jacket. All the pleats are stitched with very fine thread and the waist detail is awesome in hand. Named to a Grill and is patched to the 11th ABD.

Mike

Bringing this one back up to show this expertly re-tailored shirt into an "IKE" style jacket. All the pleats are stitched with very fine thread and the waist detail is awesome in hand. Named to a Grill and is patched to the 11th ABD.

Mike

post-1387-0-83734600-1386452613.jpg

post-1387-0-94642000-1386452627.jpg

post-1387-0-82750100-1386452640.jpg