Officers’ and EMs’ re-tailored “Ikes”

Sabrejet

I got the idea for this thread after recently discussing an officer’s cut-down “Ike” in another thread. Personally, I find these modified jackets very interesting because of the sheer number of variations on the basic theme that can be found. Ultimately, how they look was all down to the skills of the individual tailors charged with making the modifications.

These jackets were inspired by the British BD blouse / ETO jacket which ultimate evolved into the M1944 “Ike”. As we know, the latter was not available in quantity until the war’s end. So, if a soldier wanted one of these “spiffy” looking jackets, the only alternative was to have their regular four-pocket blouses re-tailored. Both officers and EMs went down this route. The fact that so many actually did suggests that it was tolerated, if not officially approved, by the powers-that-be.

Many of these modified jackets originated in the ETO, particularly in the UK where so many GIs were stationed, especially the USAAF, but probably also back in the US and in other theatres too where GIs were exposed to this “new” style.

When shortening a long service coat to hip length the tailor would cut off its skirts. This would provide the necessary material to be used in the re-tailoring process. How it was used would depend upon the ingenuity of the tailor. Most typically it would be fashioned into a BD style waistband, sometimes buttoned or, in the case of officers’ coats, their brass belt buckles were often incorporated into the design.

Sometimes, the original breast pocket flaps were replaced by new ones with concealed buttons for a sleeker look. Also, front flies were often added which concealed the buttons. When this was done, the standard brass buttons were replaced with flat OD plastic ones instead. Sometimes the original brass buttons were retained. I suppose this depended upon the individual soldier’s wishes? Occasionally, straight cuffs were replaced with buttoned shirt-style cuffs.

Some of these conversions are so well done it can be easy to mistakenly assume that the jacket was actually made that way from the outset but there are a few clues to look out for. For example, full-length officers’ coats have a horizontal seam around the middle which is usually concealed by the belt. This seam is invariably exposed in Ike-style conversions. Then there’s the distinctive shape of the collar / lower lapels. Also, officers’ jackets often retain their original straight cuffs complete with officer braid.

Internally, the “Regulation Army Officers’ Jacket” label may still be present when the jacket clearly isn’t “Regulation” style. Inside unlined EM’s converted jackets, it’s often quite obvious that it’s been shortened because of the way the internal seams and binding have been cut.

I’ve added a couple of examples of officers’ / EMs from my collection which illustrate the above just to get the ball rolling....so let’s see yours too!

Here are some details re the alterations. First...the waistband. Note the horizontal seam of the original design and the re-cycled brass buckle.

post-8022-1320338006.jpgpost-8022-1320337992.jpg

Excellent...thanks 'Ski. Similar in cut to mine, though personally I've never liked the cloth-covered buttons look! :pinch:

Graças Ricardo. Eu esperava que você iria participar!

Tr: (Thanks Ricardo...I hoped you'd join in!)

Ian :twothumbup: