OPFOR Uniforms and headgear

MattS

After searching older threads, I've seen some cool OPFOR uniforms on here. I have one and another on the way. I just picked up the Infantry insignia to finish the black beret for this duck-hunter uniform. I bought 2 extras for the collar tabs, but I don't see any evidence of there being pins on there so I haven't put them on yet. Please post any in your collection!

post-32676-1320272768.jpg

Some of the insignia I've picked up. The red/yellow straps came off the uniform I wore at Fort Hood in the early 90s. The rank chart I found online is helpful.

post-32676-1320272922.jpg

post-32676-1320272987.gif

Thanks for posting that one! I got one in the mail today and put my loose boards on it. It is a single pocket OG-107 utility shirt with an Expert Medic badge above the OPFOR tag. Star SSI on the left and the ghost of a large 3 1/2 inch circular patch on the right. Any ideas?

post-32676-1320343424.jpg

Anyone got one of those modified OPFOR liners with the weird crest on top?! :think:

There was one on ebay last week or so that I lost out on towards the end. Woulda been a neat addition :crying:

There was one on ebay last week or so that I lost out on towards the end. Woulda been a neat addition :crying:

Bad luck Hoove'! I never understood why they saw fit to make those bizarre modifications. :w00t: Easier just to paint the liners a different colour to make them stand out from the rest!? :think:

We had plastic Soviet-style helmet shells that fit over the M-1 helmet liner. They were cheap green plastic and some had a red star on the front.

We had plastic Soviet-style helmet shells that fit over the M-1 helmet liner. They were cheap green plastic and some had a red star on the front.

Really? That makes better sense than sticking a crest on the top! :lol:

Really! I just found some for sale on the net too: http://www.military1.5u.com/photo6.html

We also had the 'rubber duck' AKs and foam rubber Soviet-type grenades too. I was on a night infil to the CP of a Texas National Guard unit (I was homing in on the sound of their generator) when I heard the distinctive sound of a M-60 cocking and heard "Halt!". They captured me and were searching me when my rubber grenade plopped out of my shirt on the ground in the middle of all of us. It was funny to see all the flashlights pan down at the same time someone said, "Oh S&*%". Good times! :lol:

I've a real Soviet lid that was used in Germany at one point. Nothing special, just a plain Ivan lid. But the idea behind the crest was to give it a distinctive look. Before the Army started using "VISMODS", visual modifications to vehicles to at least resemble Soviet equipment, the only real way to discern "the bad guys" were adhesive backed stickers with a red star surrounded by a circle. Which was difficult enough to see to begin with, and usually was covered in mud/dust or missing alltogether after a couple days maneuvering. Not much value in training to shoot you own vehicles, or "bad guys" who looked more like you than not.

nice topic, i always had a weakness for OpFor. my collection is quite meager, having only the classic 509th PIR olive shirt as well as a DCU one, plus some all black and all green sets made in late '90s.

but i collected some nice images of opfor playing soldiers, with unusual or funny uniforms (i left behind insurgent or civilian outfits). some examples

op8.jpg

op3.jpg

inside-out bdus, a classic

op.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/taucco/op2.jpg

stripped and modified jungle jacket (2003)

DF-SD-02-08222-2.jpg

tiger stripe desert

DF-SD-06-13219.jpg

modified erdl jacket (2003)

stranezze3.jpg

commercial tiger stripe

op4.jpg

old dbdus

op6.jpg

op7.jpg

night camouflage and even german flecktarn :)

op5.jpg

A couple of me (more to come):

Fort Drum, circa 1999, Soviet steel pot and Swiss Alpenflage jacket that was about 3 sizes too small for me. We just lined up, reached into a duffel, and grabbed whatever uniform our hand landed on. There was everything from bleached BDUs to...well, Swiss Alpenflage!

david5.jpg

Unknown location, circa 1997, in old OD top and boonie (note MILES halo held onto hat with 550 cord), looks like I was heating up an MRE at lunchtime:

david4.jpg

If you expand out to "Aggressor" uniforms worn for smaller exercises, you end up with just about every Camo uniform in the world!

Somewhere I have a photo of me on an ROTC exercise circa 1977 wearing Vietnam era ERDL, a Tiger Stripe boonie, and a red bandana! Whoo hoo!

It was whatever was available at the local surplus store!

Just found these photos. We were 'test driving' our OPFOR T-54... on post right next to Fort Hood's baseball diamond. The post sergeant major was NOT happy.

post-32676-1320413282.jpg

bought from U.S. Calvary catalog , worn one time in training before the guy was told to remove them and put on some OD's .

ROPFORVSR1.JPG

Some more OPFOR stuff I have picked up

USopforcoverall1.JPG

USopforpouch1.JPG

USopforpouch2.JPG

USopforDCU51.JPG

craig_pickrall

I took these photos 2 years ago. I don't recall why now but they are not the best detailed photos I ever took. They are like a partial layout. It is for a dark green Aggressor Suit dated 1964. It is a set but you would never know it by these photos. They are cut very different from normal fatigues of the time. Notice the trousers have draw string cuffs and also the loops for suspenders.

Shirt

post-5-1321058065.jpg

post-5-1321058076.jpg

Trousers

post-5-1321058085.jpg

post-5-1321058091.jpg

post-5-1321058098.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is the 1953 dated manual for converting the standard M1 helmet liner to the Aggressor Helmet.

post-5-1321058368.jpg

post-5-1321058374.jpg

post-5-1321058382.jpg

post-5-1321058389.jpg

post-5-1321058395.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is from a 1953 dated Marine Tour Book to Japan. This photo shows Marines acting as aggressors and using the modified liner with comb.

post-5-1321058717.jpg

panzerwerk-- The top photo you have there is a uniform that I made!!! I sold it on eBay a few years ago...are you the buyer from there? I purchased the uniform set from the (now defunct) Sovietski Collection catalog. Never got around to putting any insignia on except the signal patch and the required OPFOR patch (color is actually for desert uniforms). I was in a unit where we were told that we would be doing OPFOR roles for a while somewhere, so a bunch of us went out and purchased authentic uniforms. We showed up in formation (on an OPFOR day) wearing them and were dubbed "The Axis of Evil" by the company XO. Some guys had gone hog wild with insignia from various Warsaw Pact nations, so in the end we wore the uniforms for one exercise, and then put them away save for a few occasions when we broke them out for prank purposes.

Here is the only photo in my possession from the "Axis of Evil" day. I am behind the camera; the person in Alpenflage (on the right of the vehicle) is SSG A. Silva. The gentleman in the Soviet sniper uniform on the back of the HMMWV is SFC J. Cherry. I think the person in woodland camo was one of the people running the exercise, not a role-player. The "tube" (note the stainless steel guy wires) was a completely nonfunctional mockup made of things found laying around a shop, it could not so much as launch a water balloon.

opforhmmwv.jpg

More photos I found...

SGT T. Perry taking a lunch break. Note OD jackets were the uniform for that exercise. I am also guessing it was hot out and there was much brush-busting that day, as you can see the camo worn off his face, but none on his hands (we wore gloves when we were busting brush). Also note the person at upper left is sitting on a MILES gear box (frowned upon), and the rifle in the foreground (left corner) may be an M4...which would make this photo much more recent than I had originally though.

opforperry.jpg

Possibly the same exercise as above. Note one person has his BDU blouse turned inside out, the other is wearing OD. I was behind the lens and do not recall what it was that I wanted a photo of, but I am guessing that it is in the distance where everyone is looking.

opfor2.jpg