"Elvis-era" class A...question

theschneid88

I recently aquired a nice late 50's set of the AG44 serge jacket and trousers. It has the SSI of the 3rd Armored, and I thought it would be fun to set up a "Elvis era" grouping, representing someone that may have served with he king in West Germany.

Im not that familiar with uniforms of the era, and I was wondering exactly what shirt and tie was used in that period? Looks like from the pics I have seen of Elvis from that period it appears to be the same as the Korean war, but the tie looks black rather than OD...any help would be appriciated.

Dano

Hello Patches. It has crossed my mind, but I'm not sure the Army would've allowed blue suede shoes with Class A's! ;)

Remember what The DI G/Sgt Moore said to the Boot in the 1957 classic THE DI.

MOORE -Those Side burns come off boy you understand, we dont wear side burns in this Marine Corps ! you know who wears side burns dont you ?,

BOOT- YES SIR !

MOORE -Well you ain't got no guitar !

:evilgrin:

Hello Patches. It has crossed my mind, but I'm not sure the Army would've allowed blue suede shoes with Class A's! ;)

Thats my new project, I just need to know what qual badges he had, and to track down some 32nd Armor DIs. Apperently the cut edge E-5 stipes are few and far between too, I have dound every grade except that one...D'OH. Thankfully the coat I have already has the right SSI..

The Tan shirt is Cotton Poplin Tan Shade 46 which was the only one worn until the Tan 446 was introduced in 1965. These shirts are pretty tough to come by, I have one Tan 46, one Tan 446, and another unknown Tan on the way. These shirts are not normally listed on ebay as "Tan shade 46" or by any official title, they are more likely to say "army khaki shirt" or some variation. However the shirts are easy to spot. They have one open pocket on the wearer's left breast, no epaulets, or anything to distinguish it from a civilian shirt. The shirts are very light tan when compared to the other tan and khaki uniform items. Basically this shirt looks like a very, very light tan civilian shirt. I recommend searching ebay and using the terms "khaki" and "tan". While technically it is a tan shirt, most people selling them don't know the technical name. Best of luck on your search!

What iamck94 says about the shirt is correct. In my many years of collecting GI clothing, these tan shirts have proven to be incredibly elusive. I have many other GI shirts, officers' and mens', all periods and colours, but still don't have a Tan 46! However, all is not lost because these shirts, being essentially civilian in style, can be replaced for display purposes by just that...a light tan civilian shirt! On a mannequin all that can be seen is the collar so it's not really a big problem.

And here is a (very wrinkly) Tan 446 shirt:

To me they look the same in design both have a open pocket and no epauletts, even in shade they look identical, was the newer 446 shade shirt now a cotton/poly blend as opposed to 100% cotton ?

To me they look the same in design both have a open pocket and no epauletts, even in shade they look identical, was the newer 446 shade shirt now a cotton/poly blend as opposed to 100% cotton ?

I would guess that it would not be a strech to assume that some of elvis' uniform items were privately made anyway? I'm trying to make myself feel better about using a civilian shirt if I cant find the issue item..

Yes, exactly.

Yes, exactly.

I can see the confusion, as well as the need to have in hand when buying one to get the correct type, 50s early 60s or mid 60s on and not rely on a sellers description.

I would guess that it would not be a strech to assume that some of elvis' uniform items were privately made anyway? I'm trying to make myself feel better about using a civilian shirt if I cant find the issue item..

That elvis's AG Class A uniforms where privately made is possable but not probable, he no doubt had his GI issue Class A's custom tailored to fit so he would look dashing, many men did so. Same on the khaki's I'm imagining, he may even had the private purchase tropical worsted type, to supplement his GI issue Khaki cotton twill one's.

That elvis's AG Class A uniforms where privately made is possable but not probable, he no doubt had his GI issue Class A's custom tailored to fit so he would look dashing, many men did so. Same on the khaki's I'm imagining, he may even had the private purchase tropical worsted type, to supplement his GI issue Khaki cotton twill one's.

He did

post-49998-1320698905.jpg

I can see the confusion, as well as the need to have in hand when buying one to get the correct type, 50s early 60s or mid 60s on and not rely on a sellers description.

I normally use the buttons to help identify that shade. Tan 446 was introduced in '65 and ran to '79. The buttons are comparable to the AG 415 shirt in that they are (for lack of a better word) "clear" only with a tint of brown rather than white. The Tan 46 has buttons with a more solid color.

But anyway Elvis was in 32nd Armored Regiment and wore this unit crest:

post-49998-1320699816.jpg

He also had a set of Blues:

post-49998-1320700025.jpg

I normally use the buttons to help identify that shade. Tan 446 was introduced in '65 and ran to '79. The buttons are comparable to the AG 415 shirt in that they are (for lack of a better word) "clear" only with a tint of brown rather than white. The Tan 46 has buttons with a more solid color.

But anyway Elvis was in 32nd Armored Regiment and wore this unit crest:

Roger on the buttons.

He also had a set of Blues:

Very good photos I, ve never seen those, he would given his status and his unlimited funds get these private purchase uniforms, always good for those photo ops. These uniforms, the khaki tunic set and dress blues would of course be items that he could not wear in formation, he probaly had the khaki TW long sleeve and trouser sets as well

Very good photos I, ve never seen those, he would given his status and his unlimited funds get these private purchase uniforms, always good for those photo ops. These uniforms, the khaki tunic set and dress blues would of course be items that he could not wear in formation, he probaly had the khaki TW long sleeve and trouser sets as well

Based on the military creases on this shirt, I'd say most definately!

post-49998-1320714741.jpg