USMC 6th Machine Gun - KIA at Belleau Wood - Silver Star

Christine1958Fury

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone seen a USMC death certificate with ribbon like this one in the grouping? I have seen the Army issued to a Marine

Yes I have a few, they are pretty rare, much more so than the army ones to Marines it seems. Very nice example that you have.

Christine1958Fury

Thanks. Yea I think it was just around 1500? Marines Killed so they have to be rare. The scan came out so bad I need to redo it. It was in that tube until the day I took it out and is just super white still and mint.

Christine1958Fury

BTW thought you might enjoy this photo I have. By your name obviously your a USMC collector. The photo came out of a album from a Sailor that was at Pearl in the 1920s and stationed at an air field

post-56417-1323146596.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Christine1958Fury

wanted to share a better image of the USMC Death Certificate. The scan made it look dark but this thing has been in the mailing tube since 1918 I have only taken it out 2 times. When i say its perfect mint it is. Very striking with the ribbon

post-56417-1327045955.jpg

As I read this I hoped I might see a familair name (a long shot, I know)... Strangely enough, my wife's great great uncle was wounded on June 8 and died later that day. he was a machine gunner with the 73rd MG Co, 6th Marines, and he was wounded in almost identical circumstances, manning his gun during a barrage. He also had a victory medal with silver star and a Croix De Guerre according to his paperwork. Amazing...

• 2 weeks later...