New photos of WWII

hawkdriver

A great collection of images...thanks Hawk'. Love the huge computer. There's probably 1000 x the computing power in an iPhone...and then some! :w00t:

General Apathy
Some very interesting pictures and captions

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10...the-war/100180/

Hi Hawkdriver, thanks for adding the link here, I was aware of the site and that they were adding sections monthly or so, but it had slipped my mind to keep checking back in with it. :blink:

I have recognised several photos relating to the Normandy area and when I can get the time I intend to go take some ' then and now ' shots. :thumbsup:

ken

Hi Hawkdriver, thanks for adding the link here, I was aware of the site and that they were adding sections monthly or so, but it had slipped my mind to keep checking back in with it. :blink:

I have recognised several photos relating to the Normandy area and when I can get the time I intend to go take some ' then and now ' shots. :thumbsup:

ken

That would be cool, keep us posted.

Excellent Great group of photos there and thanks for sharing them with us :thumbsup:

Notice how the German Wehrmacht General has most of his Insigna & Ribbons

all stripped off his Uniform before his Execution by Firing Squad !

General Apathy

post-344-1320697104.jpg

post-344-1320697127.jpg

Then & Now photos would be cool, keep us posted.

Hi hawkdriver, sadly some of the WWII photo's on the website that you highlighted are a little further out from me, I will have to try and do some of those when I get over that way.

For tonight here's one that I achieved today the village is La Haye du Puits almost over the other side of the Peninsula from Utah beach.

Difficult for the two shots to be compared easily due to rebuilding at the end of the war and more recent modern items that make up towns and villages now, parking, street signs, lights and such.

looking at the original concentrate on the soldier on the left, note the two chimney's and blank end of wall above his head. Then above his extended hand check out the number of closely grouped windows of the one building, the low building to the left of these windows and then the taller building and chimney to the left of that, hope this helps fix the location. :think:

I do try and add regular then & now shots to my running topic of ' Norman D. Landing reports from Normandy '

take a look at post #3401 and another post a couple of numbers later to see a few then and now shots. ;)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...407&st=3400

ken