SFC John R. Sicinski uniform (grouping) ?

P-E

Hello,

I see this uniform for sale :

captur32.jpg

captur33.jpg

captur34.jpg

captur35.jpg

captur36.jpg

I did a quick research and apparently the wearer is the SFC John R. Sicinski. I found a small biography of him at this link : http://www.militarymarksmanship.org/tapssicinski.htm.

tapssicinski.jpg

Sergeant First Class John R. Sicinski was born February 7, 1931 in Poland and died in Columbus, Georgia on Sunday, November 21, 2010. John was cremated and his ashes will be returned to his native Poland.

John escaped from post WWII Communist Poland in February 1950 to West Germany where he worked for the British Army then for the U. S. Army in Germany and France. In 1955, he enlisted at Heidelberg, Germany in the U. S. Army under the Lodge Act and completed his basic training at Fort Dix, New Jersey.

His assignments include the 1st Cavalry Division, Korea; 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kansas; 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Benning, Georgia; 8th Infantry Division at Fort Carson, Colorado and Germany; and the USAREUR and USAMU Marksmanship Units.

In 1967, John was assigned to Aero Rifle Platoon, D Troop, 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas and reassigned in 1969 to Vietnam for duty with Flight Operations, Hq Troop and later to C Troop, 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry, l0lst Airborne Division. John returned from Vietnam to Fort Benning in 1970 for assignment with the USAMU Pistol Team. In 1973, he was a member of the record setting Army “Blue” Team at the National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio. He was reassigned to Army Flight Operation in Heidelberg, Germany in 1976 and retired from the Army in 1979 with 24 years of honorable service.

His awards include the Bronze Star Medal w/OLC, Air Medal, Good Conduct Medal w/6th award, Army Commendation Medal, National Defense Medal, Vietnam Service Medal w/Silver Star, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry w/Palm, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Army Occupation Medal (Germany), Expert Infantry Badge, Combat Infantryman Badge, President's Hundred Tab, and was awarded the U. S. Army Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge in 1960.

After retirement, John attended technical school under the GI Bill and was employed by TRW as a toolmaker. Later, he was employed by Pratt & Whitney, a manufacturer of aircraft jet engines, as a tool and die maker.

What's your opinion of this grouping ? Was it interesting ? Can we find more informations about the SFC Sicinski ?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

P-E

Hello,

I see this uniform for sale :

captur32.jpg

captur33.jpg

captur34.jpg

captur35.jpg

captur36.jpg

I did a quick research and apparently the wearer is the SFC John R. Sicinski. I found a small biography of him at this link : http://www.militarymarksmanship.org/tapssicinski.htm.

tapssicinski.jpg

Sergeant First Class John R. Sicinski was born February 7, 1931 in Poland and died in Columbus, Georgia on Sunday, November 21, 2010. John was cremated and his ashes will be returned to his native Poland.

John escaped from post WWII Communist Poland in February 1950 to West Germany where he worked for the British Army then for the U. S. Army in Germany and France. In 1955, he enlisted at Heidelberg, Germany in the U. S. Army under the Lodge Act and completed his basic training at Fort Dix, New Jersey.

His assignments include the 1st Cavalry Division, Korea; 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kansas; 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Benning, Georgia; 8th Infantry Division at Fort Carson, Colorado and Germany; and the USAREUR and USAMU Marksmanship Units.

In 1967, John was assigned to Aero Rifle Platoon, D Troop, 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas and reassigned in 1969 to Vietnam for duty with Flight Operations, Hq Troop and later to C Troop, 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry, l0lst Airborne Division. John returned from Vietnam to Fort Benning in 1970 for assignment with the USAMU Pistol Team. In 1973, he was a member of the record setting Army “Blue” Team at the National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio. He was reassigned to Army Flight Operation in Heidelberg, Germany in 1976 and retired from the Army in 1979 with 24 years of honorable service.

His awards include the Bronze Star Medal w/OLC, Air Medal, Good Conduct Medal w/6th award, Army Commendation Medal, National Defense Medal, Vietnam Service Medal w/Silver Star, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry w/Palm, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Army Occupation Medal (Germany), Expert Infantry Badge, Combat Infantryman Badge, President's Hundred Tab, and was awarded the U. S. Army Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge in 1960.

After retirement, John attended technical school under the GI Bill and was employed by TRW as a toolmaker. Later, he was employed by Pratt & Whitney, a manufacturer of aircraft jet engines, as a tool and die maker.

What's your opinion of this grouping ? Was it interesting ? Can we find more informations about the SFC Sicinski ?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

P-E

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: SICINSKI JOHN R

Branch: ARMY

Rate: E06

MOS: 71P

MOS Title: Flight Operations Coordinator

Entered: 5503

Discharged: 790401

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

This MOS is no doubt for his 2nd tour with the 101.

Patches, many thanks for your response and for the additional informations ! You're help is realy appreciated ! :thumbsup:

I think its previously MOS was 11B (infantryman), based on this website : http://www.dtroop.com/inmemory.html

Are these "President's hundred" uniforms interesting to collect ?

Patches, many thanks for your response and for the additional informations ! You're help is realy appreciated ! :thumbsup:

I think its previously MOS was 11B (infantryman), based on this website : http://www.dtroop.com/inmemory.html

Are these "President's hundred" uniforms interesting to collect ?

Sure there good to collect, as far as I know soldiers both officers and enlistedmen who where awarded this distinction are few, yes he was an Infantryman for years as you see the EIB and the CIB, he was awarded the CIB when he was in the 1/9 Cav. There is a slight error here in his assignment in the 1/9 Cav, as D Troop was the Ground Reconnaissance element of the 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry as was the case with ALL Air Cavalry Squadrons during the war and after in to the 70s and my day in the early 80s, thus this troop would not have an Aero Rifle Platoon ( The Blue Platoon ), and used jeeps, so in this reguard it can be either or.

There is a slight error here in his assignment in the 1/9 Cav, as D Troop was the Ground Reconnaissance element of the 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry as was the case with ALL Air Cavalry Squadrons during the war and after in to the 70s and my day in the early 80s, thus this troop would not have an Aero Rifle Platoon ( The Blue Platoon ), and used jeeps, so in this reguard it can be either or.

Apparently he was with 1/1 Cavalry, which makes sense.

Apparently he was with 1/1 Cavalry, which makes sense.

Right he was in the 1/1 Cav the error was in the 1st cavalry division it would be the 1st Armored Division, they went to nam in august 1967, but according to the history of the 1st Cavalry on the global security site, the air cav D Troop was not a part of the 1/1 Cav at FT Hood and arrived in Vietnam after the unit left FT Hood in january 1968 while stanton's OOB Vietnam states the date of D Troop arriving as July of that year as well as the D Troop 1/1 cav site, so there is some minor confusion. He most likely was a original member of D Troop when it was formed at FT Hood if it was formed at FT Hood, ( It may have been formed in country I really cant find where it was formed ), or he was member of one of the other Troops when the unit was sent to Vietnam and upon arrivel of the newly formed Air Cav D Troop was simply reassigned to the Air cav troop, this is where he would have earned his CIB in its Blue Platoon, as on his second tour he was not holding a 11 series MOS but either a Transportation Corps or Branch Unassigned one, 71 Papa.

according to the history of the 1st Cavalry on the global security site, the air cav D Troop was not a part of the 1/1 Cav at FT Hood and arrived in Vietnam after the unit left FT Hood in january 1968 while stanton's OOB Vietnam states the date of D Troop arriving as July of that year as well as the D Troop 1/1 cav site, so there is some minor confusion.

I'd go with Stanton; he apparently got his info from gov't sources. Global Security has a fair amount of errors, I've noticed.

You have an extremely rare uniform because of the tab.

The President's Hundred Tab, a full-color embroidered tab of yellow 4¼ inches (10.80 cm) long and 5/8 inch (1.59 cm) high, with the word "President's Hundred" centered in 1/4 inch (.64 cm) high green letters, is a badge awarded by the National Rifle Association to the 100 top-scoring military and civilian shooters in the President's Pistol and President's Rifle Matches. It is currently one of four permanent individual skill/marksmanship tabs authorized for wear by the U.S. Army. In order of seniority, they are the President's Hundred Tab, the Special Forces Tab, the Ranger Tab, and the Sapper Tab. Only three may be worn at one time.

[edit] HistoryThe National Rifle Association's (NRA) President's Match was instituted at the NRA matches of 1878, as the American Military Rifle Championship Match. It was patterned after an event for British Volunteers called the Queen's Match, a competition started by Queen Victoria and initiated by the National Rifle Association of Great Britain in 1860, in order to increase the ability of Britain's marksmen following the Crimean War.

In 1884, the name was changed to the President's Match for the Military Rifle Championship of the United States. It was fired at Creedmoor, New York until 1891. In 1895, it was reintroduced at Sea Girt, New Jersey.

The tradition of making a letter from the President of the United States the first prize began in 1904 when President Theodore Roosevelt, at the conclusion of the President's Match, personally wrote a letter of congratulations to the winner, Private Howard Gensch of the 1st Regiment of Infantry of the New Jersey National Guard.

It cannot be ascertained as to when the President's Match was discontinued; however, it is known that it was not fired during World Wars I and II. It appears to have disappeared during the 1930s and during the Depression when lack of funds severely curtailed the holding of matches of importance.

The President's Match was reinstated in 1957 at the National Matches as "The President's Hundred." The 100 top-scoring competitors in the President's Match were singled out for special recognition in a retreat ceremony in which they passed in review before the winner and former winners of this historic match.

On 27 May 1958, the NRA requested the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel's approval of a tab for presentation to each member of the "President's Hundred." NRA's plan was to award the cloth tab together with a metal tab during the 1958 National Matches. The cloth tab was of high level interest and approved for wear on the uniform on 3 March 1958. The first awards were made at Camp Perry, Ohio, in early September 1958. The metal rectangular tab was never officially authorized for wear on the uniform by military personnel. However, the NRA issued the metal tab to military personnel for wear on the shooting jacket.[1]

In September 2008, the Department of the Army authorized a miniature metal tab to be worn on the new Army Service Uniform. This is a scaled down replica of the President's Hundred full-color embroidered tab of yellow tab

Right he was in the 1/1 Cav the error was in the 1st cavalry division it would be the 1st Armored Division, they went to nam in august 1967, but according to the history of the 1st Cavalry on the global security site, the air cav D Troop was not a part of the 1/1 Cav at FT Hood and arrived in Vietnam after the unit left FT Hood in january 1968 while stanton's OOB Vietnam states the date of D Troop arriving as July of that year as well as the D Troop 1/1 cav site, so there is some minor confusion. He most likely was a original member of D Troop when it was formed at FT Hood if it was formed at FT Hood, ( It may have been formed in country I really cant find where it was formed ), or he was member of one of the other Troops when the unit was sent to Vietnam and upon arrivel of the newly formed Air Cav D Troop was simply reassigned to the Air cav troop, this is where he would have earned his CIB in its Blue Platoon, as on his second tour he was not holding a 11 series MOS but either a Transportation Corps or Branch Unassigned one, 71 Papa.

It is hard to sat exactly when and where he received his CIB in Vietnam without a copy of his 201 File aka service record, after serving their time in the "bush" many grunts/short-timers got rear echelon jobs for the last portion of their tour or extended 6 months for these jobs as well. So with out the file or a copy of his orders you just have to assume he got it during his tours.

Regards,

John

I'd go with Stanton; he apparently got his info from gov't sources. Global Security has a fair amount of errors, I've noticed.

I'll buy that, stanton apart from what I believe are typos or misprints is generaly reliable, and is a good template for research.

It is hard to sat exactly when and where he received his CIB in Vietnam without a copy of his 201 File aka service record, after serving their time in the "bush" many grunts/short-timers got rear echelon jobs for the last portion of their tour or extended 6 months for these jobs as well. So with out the file or a copy of his orders you just have to assume he got it during his tours.

Regards,

John

You are right John, but it is a bit sketchy on the info thats up for him, right of the bat I seen the error of 1st Squadron, 1st Cav division, Ft Hood Tex in the year 1967, we of course know that would be wrong, it was some what cleared up when P E provided the link to the 1/1 Cav site that does have him with in the that unit ( but no tour dates other than the 1st Squadron 1st Cav division FT Hood Tex Info, I believe that it may be that he was in Nam the first time around with either one of the ground armored cav troops initially as stated in 1967 and went over with the unit in august and may have switch over to the new D Troop or was a original member of D Troop when it formed up whenever and wherever this was.

By the info that P E put up from one of the sites as well as the Vietnam Data base It would seem that he returned for a second tour this time holding a Non Infantry MOS, in HQ, HQ Troop 2/17 Cav 101st Airborne Division ( Airmobile ) sometime in 1969, it does say he also served in Charlie Troop but in just what capacity it does not say, the data base apparantly lists only the 71 Papa MOS, which would be for this second tour, it is possiable that he reverted back to the 11 series MOS when he went over to Charlie Troop but unfortunately it was not indicated in the database listing.

But we still might sort this all out, and as was said we do have a overall picture of this man and his service and achivements, with the unique distinction of being one of the Presidents Hundred. and that like was said not that many soldiers where so honoured.

• 4 weeks later...

img_1023.jpg

img_1022.jpg

img_1024.jpg

honora10.jpg

overse10.jpg

img_1026.jpg

I don't have the time to post pictures of other items of the Sicinski's grouping at this time, but I'll do it tonight. :thumbsup:

John escaped from post WWII Communist Poland in February 1950 to West Germany...

Wise and brave man. In 1950 it was not so easy to escape from the country terrorized by the Commies.

A very nice grouping :thumbsup:

img_1032.jpg

img_1033.jpg

img_1034.jpg

img_1035.jpg

It's write : SICINSKI JOHN R.

and apparently, there's a number that looks like : 246 38 ?811 or something like that. But I don't know what it means and not sure it's well that...

img_1040.jpg

img_1041.jpg

img_1042.jpg

img_1043.jpg

That's the end for tonight. The seller forgot to add the utility shirt in the package, and so I've to wait he send it to me !

Hope you appreciate this uniform and the detailed pictures !

Good evening,

Pierre

Finaly received the last jacket today, the utility shirt... :thumbsup: Too bad, a few insignia were removed... this includes the President's Hundred tab :crying: It looks to be a commercial jacket because of the label, the strange sleeve with an opening system,... See by yourself :

img_1044.jpg

img_1045.jpg

img_1046.jpg

img_1047.jpg

img_1048.jpg

img_1110.jpg

img_1111.jpg

img_1112.jpg

img_1113.jpg

img_1114.jpg

img_1115.jpg

img_1116.jpg

img_1117.jpg

That fatique shirt is quite unusual, I can say that its the first one I have ever seen with snaps down one seam, interestingly, it has no snaps that go down to the cuff. I wonder for what purpose the snaps are for ? I might hazzard a guess that it might have been a shirt altered maybe because at one point sicinsky had a broken right arm that was in a cast ?