Pure as the driven snow - textbook graduation WASP Wing

CliffP

:lol:

Even an old blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then!

My first WASP wing badge:

These wings arrive today, and after examining them closely through a jeweler's loop I was astonished to learn how well made and preserved they really are. Except for the coating of factory applied lacquer starting to break down on its surface, this badge shows little if any sign of use.

Of special interest is how the wings curve back away from the WASP diamond shaped shield. This was done at the factory and the manufacturer then bent the pins a few degrees to allow for the curvature of the wings to insure that each pin would fit perfectly straight into the back of both clutch-back fasteners used to secure the badge to the uniform. See sketch in third picture down from the top.

At bit of trivia: Why do WASP wings have a diamond shaped shield? They represent the shield carried by Athena, the goddess of war and protector of the brave.

Cliff

post-4542-1320107180.jpg

Ckiff,

I had no idea that there was a wing badge you DIDN'T have before now !!! :o

NOW.......that's news.

It's a beauty, I hope to have another soon!!

Beautiful wings! Thanks so much for showing these. If they are unused, did you get them from someone other than a WASP estate? Are there some wings floating around that are not attributed to a WASP? I am just curious and trying to learn.

Thank you ,Kat

Terry, thank you for your continuing friendship and those kind words.

Robin, for a number of reasons it did take me forever to obtain a set of WASP wings but an opportunity finally came by that was just too good to refuse and I'm still shaking my head in disbelief over how it happened. Good luck on getting your second set.

Kat, I'm sure the wings were used... but just barely, and I've asked the consignor to please make an effort to try and get the name of the original owner if it is at all possible. Oh, and WASP wings made by JOSTEN were only awarded directly to each pilot after they completed their flight training, they were never made available for purchased over the counter.

Just for reference: Duncan Campbell shared a story with me several years ago that it was his understanding the reason JOSTEN did not have the original die to make more wings for the first WASP reunion held back in the mid-1960s was because for some reason it was turned over to the government after the WASP program was cancelled. What happened to that die after that will probably always remain a mystery.

All the best,

Cliff

Kat, I'm sure the wings were used... but just barely, and I've asked the consignor to please make an effort to try and get the name of the original owner if it is at all possible. Oh, and WASP wings made by JOSTEN were only awarded directly to each pilot after they completed their flight training, they were never made available for purchased over the counter.

Just for reference: Duncan Campbell shared a story with me several years ago that it was his understanding the reason JOSTEN did not have the original die to make more wings for the first WASP reunion held back in the mid-1960s was because for some reason it was turned over to the government after the WASP program was cancelled. What happened to that die after that will probably always remain a mystery.

Cliff,

Thank you so much for the explanation. I really appreciate it.

....Kat