Marine Officer 1912 Pattern Winter Service Dress Tunic

suum cuique

Hello:

I picked up an marine officer's winter service dress tunic out "west" a few months ago. The only information to gleen from the jacket is the name (H.A. Miles), the date (May 2, 1919) in the tailor's label, two over seas stripes and the seller's information that the tunic was found in the Bay Area. Subsequently, his name was found in the 1920 Navy Register indicating his final rank as 2nd Lt. and he had resigned and honorably discharged on June 13, 1919. BTW, Hasting Clothing was found in San Fransico. I'm at a dead end here, so I'm hoping to get any further information on this officer. The collar insignia and marksmanship award were not on the tunic. Thanks for looking.

Regards

Dave

marinepic2lu9.jpg

marinepicbackwc4.jpg

marinelabelvj8.jpg

A quick check: Herbert A. Miles...looks like he had some Europe time with the 6th marines 78th and 95 companies...looks like a battle field commission Dec 1918 .

Herbert A. Miles--- Enlisted: 10 May 1917 Discharged: 13 June 1919

When with the 78th Company (8/10/18) he had what looks to be severe Ptomaine poisoning (food poisoning)

Hope this helps a bit more.

Ken

Thank you both for your quick (lightning!) response. It seems interesting that a chap would resign within six months of his battlefield commission and one month after he had a tailored tunic made for him. I wonder what happened...

Regards

Dave

Looks like he started in CA moved up to Mare Island quickly then moved east Dec 1917 before going overseas Feb 1918....at some point toward the end of his career he must have picked up the uniform...returned to Quantico 1919....maybe he was anticipating joining the reserves? I remember talking to one historian who specializes in these mustang officers and he said the Marines during WWI promoted a number of men from the ranks (mainly career NCO's) and at the end of the war most were returned to the ranks, discharged and a few retained....nice uniform....this looks like a great research project.....please keep us posted!

Dirk

Even more interesting. Do you think he voluntarily resigned his commission or was he forced to resign by the Corps? Seems odd to appoint a battlefield commission after hostilities ended. I own and have previously owned named marine officer items who were appointed and made in-active within a short period, sometimes within a few days! I suppose that Miles wasn't in the Corps long enough to get a good conduct medal as an enlisted man, so I suppose he would have recieved only have a victory medal; possibly with a couple stars on it.

Regards

Dave

Dave: I'd have to study the muster rolls month by month to see if things went bad at some point but right now from what I am seeing his record looked clean. I thinking the Corps was downsizing and like many others was offered the option to leave...although I just found something that indicates he may have been going into a class of the reserves....the record is not clear for May 1919. He did move up the ranks quickly so he must have been a good man...when he was in. Still a nice find! Dirk