Lieutenant Dorothy E. Roper USNR

collectsmedals

collectsmedals

This is a World War II Waves Reserve Officer's uniform in my collection.

The uniform was originally worn by Lieutenant Dorothy E. Roper, USNR.

post-294-1168103318.jpg

I agree Sofie..but a late WW2 WAVE as evidenced by the "Garrision" cap or overseas style cap...this was authorised for WAVES use in October or November 1944.

Regards

Lloyd

I agree Sofie..but a late WW2 WAVE as evidenced by the "Garrision" cap or overseas style cap...this was authorised for WAVES use in October or November 1944.

Regards

Lloyd

That's right Lloyd ;) .

The early hat had a white or blue crown and a navy blue brim to be rolled up both ways. It also had the cold eagle-shield worn by Naval Officers.

Greetings,

Sofie

Sofie ..Michelle my partner also collects WAVE items aswell as her Nurse Corps items....the WAVE basic "brim" had 4 different snap in tops....Light Blue,Dark Blue,White and Blue Stripe seersucker..all these different combinations of summer dress,winter dress and working dress could all utilise the basic brim

Michelle has a nice collection of WAVE items also.

Congratulations on the promotion to Moderator

Regards

Lloyd

collectsmedals

It was not a direct Veteran purchase.

The ID card is nice, but unfortunately the uniform is not named so there is no direct connection except that they all came together. I am presuming they are from the same person but I have no proof of that.

The jacket and skirt are in great condition but the hat has a small hole in it visible just in front of the insignia.

Hi Raider Girl..WAVE officers uniforms generally are scarcer than enlisted WAVES yes....Just look for the arm rank that will be the clincher.

Regards

Lloyd

Garth Thompson
Hi Raider Girl..WAVE officers uniforms generally are scarcer than enlisted WAVES yes....Just look for the arm rank that will be the clincher.

Regards

Lloyd

Here is a WAVE uniform in my collection, a Lt. Commander as I understand it was the highest rank granted a WAVE in WW2. I found it in a local trift shop with several hat covers, the rainhood and a storage block for the covers.

Garth

post-83-1168191766.jpg

Holy Moley Garth....is that named ?

There was i should think only 5 or 6 Lt-Cmdr Waves in WW2.

What a beautiful set...great find

Regards

Lloyd

Garth Thompson

My better half is a real life nurse and loves to do re-enacting at militaria shows. This uniform was purchased at a local estate sale complete as you see it and accompanied by her named cigarette lighter, a bunch of photos of her and her husband who was also in WW2 and extra insignia. She fits in a WW2 uniform without any alterations. Even though the watch, pencil and crossword are a little farbish the old vets who talked with her loved it.

Garth

post-83-1168192200.jpg

Garth Thompson
Holy Moley Garth....is that named ?

There was i should think only 5 or 6 Lt-Cmdr Waves in WW2.

What a beautiful set...great find

Regards

Lloyd

Lloyd,

The woman's name was AMY BROWN MILES. I'm not sure how many WAVE LtCmdrs there were in WW2 but it couldn't have been very many.

Garth

usmcraidergirl
Here is a WAVE uniform in my collection, a Lt. Commander as I understand it was the highest rank granted a WAVE in WW2. I found it in a local trift shop with several hat covers, the rainhood and a storage block for the covers.

Garth

Very nice, Garth! I wouldn't want to have that WAVE jacket taking up space in your collection, SOOOOOOO I'd be happy to make a space for it in mine! :D

• 7 months later...
This is a World War II Waves Reserve Officer's uniform in my collection.

The uniform was originally worn by Lieutenant Dorothy E. Roper, USNR.

The other folks are probably correct about the overseas cap but the uniform predates it. I believe the cuff stripes of reserve blue were made gold when the WAVES andSPARS were militirized along with the WAAC and Army Nurse Corps. I believe this was about the middle of 1942. Clyde

That's possible Clyde.

Instead of golden sleeve stripes, WAVES officers wore blue stripes on their jackets (navy blue stripes on white and gray uniforms and reserve blue on blue uniforms). This difference to male officer's uniforms should point out their status as reserve.

Sofie