** Never seen this pattern of WWII field jacket. **

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1319920937.jpg

Hi members and friends ...................

Whilst tidying around in my shoebox yesterday I pulled out this WWII leather version of the early WWII field jacket and thought I would share it here with you ;) . It's the only copy that I have knowledge of and many other collectors may never have seen one before either. :think:

Two front slash pockets, cuff adjusters, American buttons WWII officers raincoat, collar throat tab, blanket lined.

lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1319921669.jpg

cont ................

inside shot showing white cotton label, manufacture by Abbott, Armstrong & Howie a company operating in New Zealand from around the turn of the century and up into the 1940's during WWII.

Hope you enjoyed the images of this unusual jacket ;)

lewis

General Apathy
Wow.. it's like a leather M-41. Very interesting to say the least.

Tyler

Hi Tyler, thanks for your interest in the jacket, sometimes when a collector thinks they have seen it all something comes out the woodwork which helps keep the hobby interesting and moving. :thumbsup:

ken

I would guess this could be a one off jacket tailor made for a US soldier stationed in New Zealand? It could also have been a clothing line this particular company produced to attract business from the US military. :think:

Very cool item.

Justin

Not often do I get the opportunity to pull something out of my way, way, way back machine....

I must of had this jacket in the late 1990's.... probably sold it on Ebay (along with a lot of the other really amazing stuff that was just laying around in those days ).

This jacket was mfg'd by Scott Leather (Funny all these years I thought it was "SCHOTT", not SCOTT)

General Apathy, I envy you for holding onto yours (want to sell it) ?

JC

post-5673-1319923485.jpg

General Apathy
Any idea on when or why this jacket was made?

Hi Tyler, pure conjecture really as the firm no longer exists as far as I can find out, but other jackets ( such as the Marine Vandegrift jacket ) were made during WWII for the U.S. forces stationed in New Zealand and Australia, similarly as the British made U.S. equipment in Britain during WWII.

lewis

General Apathy
I would guess this could be a one off jacket tailor made for a US soldier stationed in New Zealand? It could also have been a clothing line this particular company produced to attract business from the US military. :think:

Very cool item.

Justin

Hi Justin, thanks for the ' cool item ' comment, and funnily enough ' oddmod has just posted an identical style jacket made by a different company. :thumbsup:

I was going to suggest that maybe forum members could study PTO photo's more closely to see if we can spot one of these being worn. :think:

lewis

General Apathy
Not often do I get the opportunity to pull something out of my way, way, way back machine....

I must of had this jacket in the late 1990's.... probably sold it on Ebay (along with a lot of the other really amazing stuff that was just laying around in those days ).

This jacket was mfg'd by Scott Leather (Funny all these years I thought it was "SCHOTT", not SCOTT)

General Apathy, I envy you for holding onto yours (want to sell it) ?

JC

Hi JC, really really pleased to see another example of this jacket out there, although made by a different company.

Sorry to hear that you parted with your jacket but thankfully you kept photographs to record it.

Also sorry to say I am holding onto this one at the moment, but who knows when.

lewis

Just a couple of thoughts.

I have seen similar, and even older "U.S. Army" labels on jackets that are strictly mfg'd for commercial use, so that is a possibility with this jacket; a leather, civilian made M-41 jacket. Remember how many "Tanker" & "B-15" jackets were made for the civilian market after WW2.

If it was a jacket used by the Army, I'd suggest looking for pictures of transport drivers or dispatch riders wearing them. If you look at photos from "Back in the day" blue collar workers, factory workers, truck drives, longshoremen all wore bad-a** leather jackets.

JC

Hi JC, really really pleased to see another example of this jacket out there, although made by a different company.

Sorry to hear that you parted with your jacket but thankfully you kept photographs to record it.

Also sorry to say I am holding onto this one at the moment, but who knows when.

lewis

Thanks Lewis, you should see some of the flight jackets & leather jerkins I used to have !!!

I don't blame you for holding on to it.... I WOULD !

JC

General Apathy
Just a couple of thoughts.

I have seen similar, and even older "U.S. Army" labels on jackets that are strictly mfg'd for commercial use, so that is a possibility with this jacket; a leather, civilian made M-41 jacket. Remember how many "Tanker" & "B-15" jackets were made for the civilian market after WW2.

If it was a jacket used by the Army, I'd suggest looking for pictures of transport drivers or dispatch riders wearing them. If you look at photos from "Back in the day" blue collar workers, factory workers, truck drives, longshoremen all wore bad-a** leather jackets.

JC

Hi JC, good thoughts on the blue collar workers, however the New Zealand manufacturing connection has me wondering.

We have a few New Zealand and Australian members of the forum lets hope that they check in on this topic and either shed some information on the jacket or engage in some research.

ken

General Apathy
I don't know about anyone else, but to me this piece just screams AIRMAN!

Hi Patriot, thanks another line of thought that could be looked into. :think: ;)

ken

I have a friend who's preparing to move to Korea, I might need to send him some buttons, pics and my measurements...

Ken, thanks for starting this thread!

Steve

The biggest number of leather jackets, vests and various field gear elements was manufactured for all Allied troops in North Africa. I would say this jacket comes from the US Army's terrain of North African campaign of 1942-43.

Another clue to look into...

The tag on the jacket I used to own appears to read;

SCOTT MFG COY

The word, or abbreviation "COY" is not one that I am familiar with in American English. Perhaps it is an English - English abbreviation ?

Also, here is link to a jacket I found in a museum several years ago.... that jacket is nothing like Lewis's jacket, but the civilian "US Army" tag is worth noting.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...;hl=indian+wars

JC

• 1 month later...