Football Game Fly Overs

Third Herd

When Nebraska has a home game, I'll stand in my yard to see what type aircraft fly over before the game. Today it was a P-38 and two P-51's, usually it is current military aircraft. When a B-2 flew over the stadium a plane above it took a photo and I have posters of the photo.

Puts me in mind of that scene in the James Stewart movie Strategic Air Command. Stewart's character is a pitcher for the St Louis Cardinals :twothumbup: He's training with the team when everything begins to vibrate. He looks up as a B-36 Peacemaker roars overhead!

post-8022-1319907425.jpgpost-8022-1319907457.jpg

carbinephalen

A-10 Warthogs for the Razorbacks! They are from the Arkansas Air National Guard 188th Fighter Wing located in Fort Smith!

Always a favorite part of the game for me!

AJERIRLSOIOHDWR.20070617002225.jpg

Note the special "Air Hawg" paint job on 'em complete with tusks. Gotta love those Razorbacks! :thumbsup:

110717-Z-QD538-103.JPG

Puts me in mind of that scene in the James Stewart movie Strategic Air Command. Stewart's character is a pitcher for the St Louis Cardinals :twothumbup: He's training with the team when everything begins to vibrate. He looks up as a B-36 Peacemaker roars overhead!

Say no more! Just click right here ~~~~>B-36 buzzing Al Lang Field and Jimmy Stewart

You're welcome,

Will

I love this fly-over!!

Ummm...that looks a bit low. I didn't think they came down that close for safety considerations.

Ummm...that looks a bit low. I didn't think they came down that close for safety considerations.

No doubt! I could feel the heat... :w00t:

Zeph

I think last year they had a fly over a an Iowa game.Was determined to low and there was action taken.The news channels here latched on to it and really acted like it as the latest natural disaster :rolleyes:

I think last year they had a fly over a an Iowa game.Was determined to low and there was action taken.The news channels here latched on to it and really acted like it as the latest natural disaster :rolleyes:

Oh Lord... I can only imagine... "Fly Over Gate"... Is it still safe to go to a college football game? Are our young people in danger? Could tail gating turn into a fiery zone of jet fueled death?

Tune in at 9 for Action News!

Oh Lord... I can only imagine... "Fly Over Gate"... Is it still safe to go to a college football game? Are our young people in danger? Could tail gating turn into a fiery zone of jet fueled death?

Tune in at 9 for Action News!

I think they were under the 1000 foot set level or something.Heres one link I found

"According to the investigation, the highest elevation of the stadium is at the northwest corner of the press box, which is 160 feet above ground level. Cedar Rapids Approach Control verified that the aircraft cleared the scoreboard, which is 118 feet above ground level by 58 feet and were 16 feet above the press box, which put them at 176 feet above ground level. That is well below the minimum 1,000 foot standard.

One of the pilots, Maj. Christopher Kopacek from the 25th Flying Training Squadron, has decided to “separate from the Air Force of his own accord” and has requested giving up his aeronautical rating. "

I don't think that Hornet in the other clip was any higher.

"According to the investigation, the highest elevation of the stadium is at the northwest corner of the press box, which is 160 feet above ground level. Cedar Rapids Approach Control verified that the aircraft cleared the scoreboard, which is 118 feet above ground level by 58 feet and were 16 feet above the press box, which put them at 176 feet above ground level. That is well below the minimum 1,000 foot standard.

One of the pilots, Maj. Christopher Kopacek from the 25th Flying Training Squadron, has decided to “separate from the Air Force of his own accord” and has requested giving up his aeronautical rating. "

I don't think that Hornet in the other clip was any higher.

Besides, don't they realize the lower you are to the ground, the less time the crowd can see you overhead? When you are that low you are there and then gone past the wall of the stadium in an instant.

It would have been something to see a squadron fly over. One evening when I was a kid the house started rattling and there was a loud engine noise, my Dad said it was a B-36. It was too dark to see it, I wish it would have happened during the daytime. I have seen B-17s, B-24s,B-25s, A/B-26s, B-29, B-47s, B-52s' B-57s, B-66s, B-1s and B-2s flying. Saw an RAF Vulcan flying once.

There's nothing to compare with the combined roar of multiple piston engines. When I was a boy, my late grandfather used to tell me about the RAF bomber streams which flew out to bomb the Reich by night. He said a distant hum became a steadily increasing roar which sometimes lasted for over an hour as they flew over his house....almost shaking the pictures off the walls! Hard to imagine today with hi-flying and almost silent (at that altitude) jets!

Several times a Russian AN-125 has flown out of here with air cargo, they are big enough that people walking down the sidewalk stop and look. One night one took off and the house rattled and it was low enough to see it in the light going up from the ground.

There's nothing to compare with the combined roar of multiple piston engines. When I was a boy, my late grandfather used to tell me about the RAF bomber streams which flew out to bomb the Reich by night. He said a distant hum became a steadily increasing roar which sometimes lasted for over an hour as they flew over his house....almost shaking the pictures off the walls! Hard to imagine today with hi-flying and almost silent (at that altitude) jets!

On the flip side, my best friends father when I was a teenager grew up around London... his memory was the sound of the Buzz Bombs coming over. I asked him if that scared him... he said no, what scared him was when the motor stopped...that meant seconds to dive into the closest neighborhood slit trench.

About 10 years ago I was cutting the lawn and had just stepped inside for a drink of water. I heard this deep throated roar approaching the house, and I ran outside just in time to see a flight of six civilian owned AT-6 trainers heading off to a show. It was like a time warp!