Reproduction 1897 US Navy Uniforms

1917Corpsman

Hello All,

I'm going to start to get into reenacting Spanish American War US Navy and I have patterns for all the enlisted 1897 US Navy uniforms made. Would there be any others interested in a set of dress blues or dress whites made according to the 1897 regulations? I haven't started making any of these so there are no photos. I just want to see who else would be interested. I'm sure the crew of the USS Olympia would be interested since I'll also be making the heavy wool navy blue overcoat with the four pockets. All buttons on the uniforms are going to be re-stamped 1897 black hard rubber buttons. So here I ask of you....anyone interested in a set?

Rick

I might be, but honestly I think the most I can pay is like 100 bucks for a jumper/pants set and maybe 100 for a peacoat.

Carnut63 these uniforms are going to be museum quality reproductions made for living historians. The price of only $100 for a jumper and trousers and another $100 for the peacoat is slightly lower than I'm estimating it at. You have to put in the fact that I am making these as a partial living and have to gain some profit off of these uniform I reproduce. Then you have to consideration that all the buttons have to be re-stamped with original button molds. That's 26 buttons that need to be re-stamped in hard rubber at $40 a set. The wool per yard by 60 inches is $28 and for a complete dress blues which is the trousers, jumper and flat dress hat it comes down to nearly $200 in wool. So when it comes down to all the costs I'm estimating close to $400 for a complete set with the trousers, jumper, dress flat hat and four-pocket peacoat. I'm pretty much coming to this cost of making my own dress blues uniform set which I'll be wearing for the first time in early June when presenting a reproduction of the Model 1895 Lee Navy 6mm straight pull rifle. The dress blues are going to be made for some of the crew members of the USS Olympia which is the only surviving US Navy ship from the Spanish American War and last of the Great White Fleet. The ship had also brought the first Unknown Soldier to the Tomb of the Unknown in Arlington soon after the Great War.

Rick