WWII Submarine USS Cobia - Wisconsin Maritime Museum

Bugme

This museum is located 10 minutes from my house and has a huge section dedicated to the WWII building of Submarines and other war ships in Manitowoc. It features the WWII GATO class submarine: USS Cobia(SS-245) I have a special place in my heart for these subs, my Grandfather machined torpedo tubes for the 28 subs built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Inc. Here's a link to the website: http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/index.php

The museum:

Museum5_31_03_rl.jpg

Great shots! I had a great time visiting there several years ago while visiting my family in Milwaukee where I was proudly born and raised. My mother's family lived in Two Rivers and my grandfather was an architect who worked with the submarine program. He went on one of the shakedown trips into the lake and was completely freaked out during one of the dives. Needless to say, it was his last foray under the waves, hehehehe.....

-Ski

• 3 months later...

This is one of the best preserved subs I have been aboard. You could almost imagine that if the coal-fired SS Badger was a Japanese transport, it would have made a juicy target.

post-32676-1327845457.jpg

• 1 year later...

Plaques of the 28 boats built in the Mantiwoc , Wisconsin Shipyard mentioned previously . The USS REDFIN SSR 272 was the one I rode for three years 1958-1961 on a site SUBMARINES ALL on this Forum http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/195882-submarines-all/

I took several pictures on my tour of the USS Cobia SS 2451 in July of 2012 . If anyone is interested . I will post them here .

• 2 weeks later...

I've toured several WW2 subs and I think the Cobia is the best preserved of them all. It's definately worth seeing when you're in Wisconsin.

Keith

Hi Scott,

Excellent Photos there from inside and Out-Side of the USS COBIA

Very Nice indeed and Thanks for Sharing them with us. ;)

- Tomás