Question about uniform markings

DocRick

This picture is from the battle of Tarawa. I can see the white disc on the guy on the far left, id'ing him as a corpsman. The closet and right guy have a white stripe circling their right thigh. Was this a way of id'ng litter bearers? It almost looks like it was added to the picture.

Doc Rick

post-4556-1319724295.jpg

Marchville1918

I remember seeing a pair of USMC pants for sale on ebay last summer that had a red stripe stitched around the leg. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time other than to think it was unusual and I can't clearly remember the sellers explanation of it, but I think it had to do with landing guides (or something).

I remember seeing a pair of USMC pants for sale on ebay last summer that had a red stripe stitched around the leg. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time other than to think it was unusual and I can't clearly remember the sellers explanation of it, but I think it had to do with landing guides (or something).

The red stripe indicates shore party. I have a set of dungarees from a vet of Iwo. He said if you didn't have the red stripe you were pushed inland as you were not supposed to be on the beach. I am thinking the white might be the same.

Ray

I've read reports that the circle on the helmet was not just for corpsman, but different types of units, i.e. beach party, supply, etc, had different colored dots on their helmets to designate their status. I seriously doubt that corpsman inland with the grunts, wore the white dotted helmets, just aid station medics, usually on the beach.

Beast, I see what you are saying. I think the "white dot' on his helmet is just a reflection. It does look to low to be a corpsman's disc.

Doc Rick

Actually, all the white dots and stripes on helmets & uniforms worm by navy corpsmen in WWII are explained pretty thoroughly in this book;

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/b...isbn=0764324268

I've read reports that the circle on the helmet was not just for corpsman, but different types of units, i.e. beach party, supply, etc, had different colored dots on their helmets to designate their status. I seriously doubt that corpsman inland with the grunts, wore the white dotted helmets, just aid station medics, usually on the beach.

Beast, I see what you are saying. I think the "white dot' on his helmet is just a reflection. It does look to low to be a corpsman's disc.

Doc Rick

Interesting photo. And If you look closely, you can see that they all have the white material on the right leg. Makes the idea of it denoting who's who more likely. Medical tape or perhaps engineer tape? I am thinking the engineer tape, and if you take a closer look at the nearest Marine with the brown side camo, appears to be a large safety pin holding it on?? I can make out something metallic looking, with the U shape in the "safety" enclosure next to his seam above the tape?