Announcing New Film "Saints and Soldiers, Airborne Creed"

American Patrol Co.

American Patrol Co.

Look for a new film from the creators of "Saints and Soldiers" this spring.

You can check out the teaser on youtube at the link below;

used lots or re-enactors, great guns, gear and vehicles etc.

FYI I have been told his is a stand alone film project and not a sequel or prequill. It tells the story of some 517th troopers mis-dropped in Operation Dragoon. They meet up with French partisans and attack german forces when encountered.

looks like they even got a panzer III for this film.

Thanks for the heads-up. Is it set for general release or will it be straight to DVD? It has the same look/feel as the recent airborne movie "Pathfinders".

The original "Saints and Soldiers" was the best war film I ever saw. I can't wait to see this one!

100% Agreed!

Another paratrooper film? Do people know that others fought in WWII as well? I am kinda passed the whole "para phase" that seems to have taken over reenacting, movies, and video games...not too mention collecting. :ermm:

Justin

American Patrol Co.

Not all 517th helmets were of the theater made style, of course you’re right, it would have been nice to include at least one.

I was told by the makers this film it was made specifically for European audiences with a specific audience being the French, who really enjoyed the original "saints" production. This film features a lot of native French actors. It is as much a partisan film as it is a paratrooper film. I was not told if it will be a theatrical or DVD release here in the states.

The biggest flaw I can see in wardrobe is the let down ropes. I asked about that and apparently WPG was supposed to send them and didn’t deliver. At the last minute they had to find something similar and the only local option was the larger rope.

Another paratrooper film? Do people know that others fought in WWII as well? I am kinda passed the whole "para phase" that seems to have taken over reenacting, movies, and video games...not too mention collecting. :ermm:

Justin

I bet you still will watch it. But, you're right, we need a movie like: "Quartermasters Storm Normandy on D plus 7" ;)

There is nothing bad in the fact that somebody was a paratrooper during WWII. More than half a century Hollywood was focused on "leg infantry". Now the paras may have their prime time and very good, really very good. Admire your creators of WWII era parachute forces because they had no such a simple task as the Soviets or Germans where paratroops were very well developed since mid-1930s. The USA lost many years in various military aspects during interwar period and that was a kind of miracle that the US parachute units were set up relatively quickly and without any experience.

I am still waiting for a movie on the USFS smoke jumpers instructors who helped Army to create professional para units.

I bet you still will watch it. But, you're right, we need a movie like: "Quartermasters Storm Normandy on D plus 7" ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

:thumbsup:

Looks interesting! I do tire easily of "ETO 44" but I have to admit, I did like the first Saints & Soldiers film and own it on DVD.

But, you're right, we need a movie like: "Quartermasters Storm Normandy on D plus 7" ;)

This comment had me :lol: :lol:

Naw, gotta be "Airborne Seal Quartermasters Storm Normandy on D plus 7" ;)

Saints and Soldiers was an outstanding film and very well done...but I wouldn't call it the best war film made as there are so many incredible productions to compare it to. However, this film is one of my all time favorites.

Regarding another Para movie, it doesn't phase me that this is still a popular topic when one considers the success of Band of Brothers and SPR in reaching new audiences, introducing them to a very important aspect of history. I see this as fundamental in preserving that history - engaging people in wanting to seek more information and educate themselves. While no movie could ever get every complete detail to be 100% historically accurate to please us militaria geeks, I think that Saints and Soldiers and this new one do a very good job of capturing the essence of the historical accuracy with their costumes and props.

Better yet, Combat Cooks of the Troop Ship Galley at Iwo Jima!

Well may be not that...

It would be nice to have some movies dedicated to some obscure areas of the military: tank crews, bomb crews, Seabess, engineers, etc. Just think of all the movies and video games made in the last 20 years about D-day and the Battle of the Bulge!

I am just saying a break from the norm would be refreshing.

Justin

It would be nice to have some movies dedicated to some obscure areas of the military: tank crews, bomb crews, Seabess, engineers, etc. Just think of all the movies and video games made in the last 20 years about D-day and the Battle of the Bulge!

For the record, I was just messin' with you about the Quartermasters title. :) I do agree, it would be nice to see something along those lines, especially the tank crew idea, I like that.

Unfortunately, the obscure means very few box office sales. If it isn't some highly-touted RGT or a well-known USMC unit, Naval Aviator, etc...no one really gives a crap. The general public barely knows their grandfather served in WWII let alone where or what he did.

If grandpa didn't jump with the ever-growing 506th PIR or take the 'Canal with the 1st Marines, then his service wasn't all that important.

"Uh gramps, what do you mean you were a radioman? What is an APA? Is that some sort of battleship? Does that mean you flew Tomcats like Maverick?"

"No, Johnny. I worked in radio central on radio gear and teletype on an amphibious troop carrier. We delivered Marines and Seabees to the beach so they could attack the enemy."

"So were you on the Nimitz? That's a cool carrier!"

For the record, I was just messin' with you about the Quartermasters title. :) I do agree, it would be nice to see something along those lines, especially the tank crew idea, I like that.

Understand :lol: But all kidding aside there were several Quartermaster units that landed on D-day. See: http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/d-day/d-day.htm

"No one seems ever to think a soldier in QM ever gets to smell any gunpowder, dig any foxholes, get into any fighting, go without food, mail and the like. Our QM outfit hit the beach on D-day right when the heat was on, and more outfits are hitting the beaches every day--to unload and load rations, ammunition, and all other equipment and supplies. Opening and running dumps under combat conditions is a tough job. We sleep in foxholes, wash and shave in helmets, dig slit trenches, eat in the open as do other Army outfits. We also have bazooka men, machine-gun men and operate twenty-four hours a day--about fifty percent of that time in the rain and mud."

Private First Class, James P. Hatchell,

(in a letter to the Stars and Stripes Newspaper, August 10, 1944)

So in order to make it "interesting", we can go like this; the Airborne 4th Armored Division with their paratroop tanks break out near the town of Avranches.

We see GIs in armor gear but they have the "Airborne" arc over the 4th AD patch while their tanks roll out of huge gliders.

The crews themselves are dropped via parachute.

Their tank coveralls are - of course - reinforced and have cargo pockets fitted (also reinforced).

Over their tanker helmets, they have the M2 paratrooper steel helmet.

(Sarcasm intended)

Erwin

So in order to make it "interesting", we can go like this; the Airborne 4th Armored Division with their paratroop tanks break out near the town of Avranches.

We see GIs in armor gear but they have the "Airborne" arc over the 4th AD patch while their tanks roll out of huge gliders.

The crews themselves are dropped via parachute.

Their tank coveralls are - of course - reinforced and have cargo pockets fitted (also reinforced).

Over their tanker helmets, they have the M2 paratrooper steel helmet.

(Sarcasm intended)

Erwin

Along with their Space Shuttle Door Gunner badges.