Looking to put together a WWII 2nd Rangers D-day Demolition Impression

Tasken_Lander

Tasken_Lander

Hi,

I was looking to put together a 2nd Rangers/D-day Demolition soldier impression. My questions are:

Would there be a demo soldier deployed among the first waves of soldiers on D-day from the 2nd Rangers? Would he wear an assault vest or traditional haversack? Would he have a Tech grade like, say, a T-corporal? How many satchel bags could he carry? Would they be M-37's? Are the bags relatively easy to come by? Do they make fake C4 blocks to but in them? What weapon would he have? Regular M1 Garand? M1 carbine?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, didn't know where/whom else to ask.

Thanks.

Hi,

I was looking to put together a 2nd Rangers/D-day Demolition soldier impression. My questions are:

Would there be a demo soldier deployed among the first waves of soldiers on D-day from the 2nd Rangers? Would he wear an assault vest or traditional haversack? Would he have a Tech grade like, say, a T-corporal? How many satchel bags could he carry? Would they be M-37's? Are the bags relatively easy to come by? Do they make fake C4 blocks to but in them? What weapon would he have? Regular M1 Garand? M1 carbine?

Thanks.

If I may suggest a fabulous book that will I believe answer most if not all your questions, pick up Spearheading D-Day: American Special Units in Normandy, by Jonathan Gawne ( He's a member here on USMF, I have no affilliation with Mr Gawne ) this book covers those units that landed on D-day its very extensive, as a matter fact I need to get a another copy myself, I sold mine years ago. It can be had on amazon for one maybe E-Bay as well.

• 8 months later...
arnhem44mad
Hi,

Thanks.

Hey was wondering how this impression was going? Any luck with the book?

Scott

I agree with Patches...a "must have" book (as indeed are all of Jon Gawne's titles!) I noticed a softback version for sale recently, so that'll help lower the price a little.

Tasken_Lander

Hi,

Thanks for the interest. I have started getting some stuff for this display, but have gotten sidetracked by numerous side projects along the way plus a reluctance to purchase genuine WWII militarilia online as it almost NEVER photographs the way it looks in person.

I hate to say it but I'm definitely a "color nazi" -- I like my web gear to look good together and have gone through at least two sets of first aid pouches and canteen covers because the color of the canvas did NOT match my expectations/that of the photos of them I saw online.

I also want to state that this mannequin display is truly more of a "Saving Private Ryan" display to put in my game/movie memorabilia room. I used to react WWII years back and had MANY impressions (US and German) but have sold all my stuff years ago to help make ends meet and now and simply looking to put together a one shot display to help commemorate my past loved hobby (re-enacting w/ my father who has long since past) and one of my favorite films of all time; SPR.

One day -- I'd LOVE to get back in the re-enacting game but that's far from now, after I've completed school; gotten a better job. For now -- this'll have to do. :-)

Annnyyywwaayyyyyy -- now that I've gotten all that crap out the way, here's what I have mustered so far:

I wanted a half mannequin (but one w/ a head) and this was the nicest one I could find, and God knows I looked for MONTHS. It's from Webster Displays, was pretty pricey, a little smaller than I had expected, but is exactly (more-or-less) what I wanted:

DSCF5232.jpg

^ You can also make out my original GI wool shirt to mannequin's right

Next up my D-day gear set up. Pretty self explanatory. All gear is real except for vest which is an ATF reproduction:

DSCF5239.jpg

Here's my helmet. It was painted by a family friend and is a post war shell w/ reproduction chin strap but the net, liner and brown leather chin strappy thing (forgot the name lol) is real.

DSCF5242.jpg

Headband appears to be new. Inner canvas is becoming very weak and actually broke while I was handling helmet to take pictures. had to tape it together w/ some fabric tape. =/

DSCF5241.jpg

I've decided to forgo the demo soldier idea and just make him a basic infantry as it'll be easier, better indicative of how the average D-day ranger looked, and I miss having a M-1 bayonet.

Off the top of my head, I still need:

M-41 jacket w/ rank and insignia

HBT shirt

Undershirt

M-1 bayonet

Two bandoliers w/ dummy M1 clips in them

Two grenades for vest

Rubberized gas mask bag

Arm brassard

I have a french SPR poster that is mounted on foam board and is like 23 X 64 that I'm going to display the mannequin in front of when I'm done. It should look nice when I'm done.

And I know what book you're talking about, patches. It is a good one. I need to eventually get my own copy.

Thanks for the interest/suggestions,

Mike