55th Command Headquarters (Divisional)

JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII

I had these ID'ed awhile back as the 55th Command Headquarters (Divisional). I'm not sure though if I found out if they were Repros or not. I have seen a Repro of it and these look different. Opinions? Robert

EDIT: Pictures are lost

JCFalkenbergIII
I have no clue. I posted an identical one with the same question. It seems original, but is it?

-Ski

I hear ya my Friend. I don't know much about this one at all. I'm still hoping someone can help. Here is a closer shot of them. Robert

craig_pickrall

Stan Blake had those repoed in the late 70's or early 80's to use as fillers in collections because they were almost impossible to find. I have one of Stan's copies but no original. I am not where my patch collection is at the moment so I can't compare them. If no one else responds I will try to remember to compare them when I get home.

JCFalkenbergIII
Stan Blake had those repoed in the late 70's or early 80's to use as fillers in collections because they were almost impossible to find. I have one of Stan's copies but no original. I am not where my patch collection is at the moment so I can't compare them. If no one else responds I will try to remember to compare them when I get home.

Please do Craig :thumbsup: . I would like to know anything I can find. I can't find much on the unit. Does anyone have a source for more info on it? Robert

It was a Florida National Guard unit which only existed for a few years in the mid-1960s. It's possible that the patch was authorized, but never worn.

JCFalkenbergIII
It was a Florida National Guard unit which only existed for a few years in the mid-1960s. It's possible that the patch was authorized, but never worn.

That helped a little. Though still nothing on the patch. I found this about one of the members of the unit.

Florida’s first African American Guardsman continues service in community

http://www.floridaguard.army.mil/1657

Robert

JCFalkenbergIII

I wonder if this is the same unit? Robert

"The 55th Operational Headquarters was constituted on 5 July 1946 in the Florida National Guard as Headquarters Company, 211th Infantry, an element of the 51st Infantry Division. It organized and was Federally recognized on 14 November 1946 at Miami. It consolidated on 15 April 1959 with part of the Medical Company, 211th Infantry (organized and Federally recognized on 11 March 1948 at Miami), and the consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company, 1st Battle Group, 211th Infantry. The unit converted and was redesignated on 15 February 1963 as the Brigade Headquarters, 55th Operational Headquarters, and was relieved from assignment to the 51st Infantry Division. "

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/50asg.htm

JCFalkenbergIII

And for the 103rd too. Robert

"The 103rd Infantry Division was activated as a reserve division on May 7, 1947 in Des Moines, Iowa. In February 1963, its combat elements were redesignated and reorganized as the 205th Infantry Brigade and the 103rd Operational Headquarters. In June of that year, that headquarters was redesignated 103rd Command Headquarters (Divisional). In December 1965, it was reorganized as the 103rd Support Brigade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/103rd_Sustain...xpeditionary%29

JCFalkenbergIII

So since the 55th patch was so rare does that mean the other Command Headquarters (Divisional) units wore just their respective Divisional patch? Robert

JCFalkenbergIII

"In the summer of 1961 Congress also authorized the Defense Department to order 250,000 reservists (individuals as well as those in units) to active duty for twelve months. The subsequent closing of the Berlin border on 13 August 1961 sparked another series of mobilization measures. In October the Army Reserve's 100th Division (Training) was ordered to active military duty to open the training center at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas.

The Army Staff decided to retain one Army Reserve division in each of the six Army areas and to eliminate four divisions. Army commanders selected the 63d, 77th, 8 1st, 83d, 90th, and 102d Infantry Divisions for retention and reorganized them by the end of April 1963. Each division had two tank and six infantry battalions. With the elimination of the 79th, 94th, 96th, and 103d Infantry Divisions, the Army decided to retain their headquarters as a way to preserve spaces for general and field grade officers. It reorganized the units as operational headquarters (subsequently called command headquarters [division]) and directed them to supervise the training of combat and support units located in the former divisional areas and to provide for their administrative support. If an extensive mobilization were to occur, the staff believed that these units could become the nuclei for new divisions.

On 1 July 1965, the Army's division and brigade forces consisted of 45 divisions (16 in the Regular Army, 23 in the National Guard, and 6 in the Army Reserve) and 17 brigades (6 in the Regular Army, 7 in the National Guard, and 4 in the Army Reserve).

In May 1965 President Johnson committed Regular Army combat units to South Vietnam to halt North Vietnamese incursions and suppress National Liberation Front insurgents. With the departure of units for Vietnam, the reserves took on a more significant role. To improve the readiness of the Selected Reserve Force, the Army authorized its units to be fully manned, increased their number of drill days, and raised their priority for receiving new equipment. Because of shortages in personnel and equipment, McNamara achieved a long-standing controversial goal of the Defense Department, a reduction of the reserve troop basis. Those reserve units that were judged unnecessary and others that were undermanned and underequipped could now be deleted with minimum controversy and their assets used to field contingency forces. Among the units inactivated were the last six combat divisions in the Army Reservethe 63d, 77th, 81st, 83d, 90th, and 102d Infantry Divisions-and the 79th, 94th, and 96th Command Headquarters (Division). The 103d Command Headquarters (Division) was converted to a support brigade headquarters. "

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/age...ivision-arc.htm

• 1 year later...
lamarhooten

Hello Robert! Just wondering if the ones you have came from the Andy & Bax haul!! Found one (or more just in case!!) there. After what I had discovered in the early stuff/first boxes, I would say that they are latter than the 70s. Might have to take them to KC for review!

Hello Robert! Just wondering if the ones you have came from the Andy & Bax haul!! Found one (or more just in case!!) there. After what I had descovered in the early stuff/first boxes, I would say that they are latter than the 70s. Might have to take them to KC for review!

This isn't my e-Bay listing. I just ran across it and thought I would post the pictures for comparison.

Oohh, now that one looks 100% legit. Thanks for posting the photos. This is a third variation and the most legit looking of the three.

-Ski

• 7 years later...

I just ran across this photo of Major General Robert A. Ballard in the January 1967 issue of The Florida Guardsman monthly newsletter. As you can see, it identifies him as the commanding general of the 55th Command Headquarters(Divisional), but he is clearly wearing the SSI approved for the headquarters of the Florida National Guard. Assuming the photo was taken sometime right around late December 1966-early 1967, it begs the question of whether the SSI for the 55th was ever actually worn if even its commander was not wearing it during this timeframe.  

55th Command Headquarters.Divisional.Florida National Guard.Ballard.Robert A.1.jpg

Here's some more information on the 55th Command Headquarters from the March 1963 Florida Guardsman newsletter. The headquarters was created with the deactivation of the 51st Infantry Division and the removal of Florida elements from the 48th Armored Division. The Florida National Guard would have had three or possibly four general officers (commanding general, assistant CO and commander of the division artillery along with a possible second assistant commanding general) from the 51st and at least one and possibly two general officers serving with the 48th who would no longer have slots available for them due to the reorganization of the 48th and inactivation of the 51st.  

55th Command Headquarters.Divisional.Florida National Guard.Ballard.Robert A.5-3-1963.jpg

I don't mean to hijack a thread about a SSI, but here is some more info on the unit itself which is sort of an enigma itself. These are also from May 1963 Florida Guardsman newsletter. Note the 55th apparently consisted not only of the 55th Operational Headquarters but also the 55th Brigade Headquarters. 

55th Command Headquarters.Divisional.Florida National Guard.Ballard.Robert A.7.5-1963.jpg

55th Command Headquarters.Divisional.Florida National Guard.Ballard.Robert A.8.5-1963.jpg

Here is a photo of Brigadier General Robert A. Ballard, commander of the 55th, in a 1963 photo. Note he is wearing green leadership tabs.

55th Command Headquarters.Divisional.Florida National Guard.Ballard.Robert A.9.6-1963.jpg