WWII A-2 Jacket Grouping How much do I pay??

OD MAN

Guys, sorry for doing this, but I REALLY need some good advice on how much I should pay for this grouping. I am going to see it in a few hours.

All the stuf belongs to the same guy, an aerial gunner in the 451st bomb group, 15th air force. He was awarded multiple air medals and went on 23 missions. The A-2 jacket is rough (dry rot to sleeves) but has nice painting on the front. Documents, flight bag, flight suit, flight helmet, goggles, radio gear, shirt, pants, two photo albums, etc.

They are asking $1,000

Pics will follow....

14t991i.jpg

1zwl20i.jpg

2reioog.jpg

34xm1sp.jpg

20jg31y.jpg

25zr0j5.jpg

I believe that the prize in this grouping is the A-2. Its overall condition is the key to the price. If it is not in good enough shape to hold together, or have restored, I would pass on the group.

I believe that the prize in this grouping is the A-2. Its overall condition is the key to the price. If it is not in good enough shape to hold together, or have restored, I would pass on the group.

I added more pictures of the jacket above your post, it looks like the sleeves have a fair amount of dry spots.

Let me know what you guys think.

Justin

How many photos in the album? I have sold good WWII photo albums for close to $1,000. A good A-2 would be worth more than the asking price but in this case it's only good for display (maybe in one of those frames designed for sports jerseys): but with a good photo album, the other documents and the flight helmet, etc. it looks like a nice grouping for a WWII combat veteran.

The leather doesn't look too bad, it appears a bit day, but is it still somewhat soft, and does it seem to hold together

Well. Mothing is to be expected, as is the leather drying. But how dry, is too dry ?

How many photos in the album? I have sold good WWII photo albums for close to $1,000. A good A-2 would be worth more than the asking price but in this case it's only good for display (maybe in one of those frames designed for sports jerseys): but with a good photo album, the other documents and the flight helmet, etc. it looks like a nice grouping for a WWII combat veteran.

Thanks for the advice. The lady only sent me a few pictures of the scrap book and photo album, but it seems they are full and look to have nice combat shots in them.

I am a little worried about the A-2. How badly does the damage to the sleeves effect the value?

Justin

Thanks for the advice. The lady only sent me a few pictures of the scrap book and photo album, but it seems they are full and look to have nice combat shots in them.

I am a little worried about the A-2. How badly does the damage to the sleeves effect the value?

Justin

Remember: you are not buying a coat - you are buying the surviving artifacts of a WWII combat crewman. I have sold groupings for over $10,000 and the only uniform item was totally moth-eaten.

I am leaving right now, if I got it for $900 how would there be room to sell? Or should I only pay that price if I want to keep it???

Justin

I think the A-2 is kind of plain. Just the Missions painted on and nothing else ? Is it about to fall apart ? It doesn't look too strong. Are those the best photos in the album ? Nose art ? Photos of the jacket or squadron patch ? It does have the US flag arm band and that brings 200 - 300 on ebay. Flying helmet with all the avionics 200 if it is in good shape. The flight suite I'm not up on its price but for argument sake lets say 100. So so far you got 600.00 + A-2 say 700.00 = 1300.00, photo album ( not sure how good it is ) say 300.00 that totals 1600.00 not counting some of the other things. Don't forget to ask them for other things. Squadron patch, wings, and who knows what else they are holding back ( red finger nails ). So looks like a good deal. Where do I go to get it ?

M

PS always offer a lower price nothing wrong with that in my book.

BOB IS PRETTY MUCH ON THE MONEY-- I WAS GOING TO SAY 1000 TO 1500.00. IF YOU WANT IT DONT LET THE MONEY GET IN YOUR WAY. TOO MANY COLLECTORS DONT WANT TO LET GO THE MONEY AND END UP LOOSING THE ITEM.

vintageproductions

I am not going to comment on whether the price is great or not, but remember when an A-2 finish starts flaking like that it is almost impossible to stop it.It will keep flaking and will become very thin where the flaking is happening. Keep that in mind when you are figuring the price.

Well guys I got it for a good price. The jacket is much better in person. The whole thing is very soft and the drying is not too bad. There is a load of more paperwork and souvenirs in the very large scrap book. The best part: The scrap book features articles of his missions (and there were quite a few). I will post pictures later on, but I am very pleased with the grouping.