WW2 LT Commander uniform w/ ribbons

History Man

here is the LT Commander uniform i got in a trade on Sunday at the swapmeet, i traded a vietnam era bronze star for it. has wolf brown ribbons and is in great shape. let me know what you guys think! :thumbsup: if anyone can help me research the name that would be most appreciated. the name is "Bocos".

Philip ;)

post-25965-1319570425.jpg

post-25965-1319570434.jpg

post-25965-1319570441.jpg

post-25965-1319570450.jpg

post-25965-1319570459.jpg

Could the name be Boggs ? I would take that jacket over a Bronze Star any day. You got the best part of that deal plus you got the Generals coat as well. You are a steam roller.

M

Could the name be Boggs ? I would take that jacket over a Bronze Star any day. You got the best part of that deal plus you got the Generals coat as well. You are a steam roller.

M

thanks, the swapmeet dealer wanted the bronze star and i wanted the jacket. i even got a soldiers medal box (coffin) from him at $2 but its gutted. the name could be Boggs so i will check. i have been doing pretty good lately and i even have a named fixed bail grouping on its way from the vets daughter (fixed bail helmet (complete), double patched ike, overcoat, and cap.) she is sending me some information and pics of him when she gets back home. :w00t: oh and the grand total price for the group was $60 shipped. :thumbsup:

Philip

thanks, the swapmeet dealer wanted the bronze star and i wanted the jacket. i even got a soldiers medal box (coffin) from him at $2 but its gutted. the name could be Boggs so i will check. i have been doing pretty good lately and i even have a named fixed bail grouping on its way from the vets daughter (fixed bail helmet (complete), double patched ike, overcoat, and cap.) she is sending me some information and pics of him when she gets back home. :w00t: oh and the grand total price for the group was $60 shipped. :thumbsup:

Philip

It must be those pink wings.

M

:think:

Philip

Yeah, must be the pink wings...

Not to state the obvious, but seems to me like there is a strong chance this jacket and your other Navy jacket belonged to the same guy. Similar name, very similar ribbons, both from officers, etc.

maybe. but the name on the green uniform is clearly Boggo or something and the name on this one is Bocos clearly written. also no wings. i mean it could very well be but it needs some more research. anyone got access to naval records?

Philip

maybe. but the name on the green uniform is clearly Boggo or something and the name on this one is Bocos clearly written. also no wings. i mean it could very well be but it needs some more research. anyone got access to naval records?

Philip

Those names are too close together. And don't worry about the wings. I have had several Navy pilots groupings and I think they would switch wings around because some uniforms had wings and others didn't. Can you post some clear pics of both names ?

Those names are too close together. And don't worry about the wings. I have had several Navy pilots groupings and I think they would switch wings around because some uniforms had wings and others didn't. Can you post some clear pics of both names ?

i just looked at the names. the green uniform says Boggo R.H. and the blue uniform says Bocos.

Philip

its in the latest finds and acquisitions section. i posted in 2 sections. so could this have belonged to the same guy?

Philip

i just looked at the names. the green uniform says Boggo R.H. and the blue uniform says Bocos.

Philip

Get some good photos of those 2 names together. I'd like to see that.

I just find it a remarkable coincidence that your two new Navy jackets, both to officers close in rank, and sporting VERY similar ribbons were acquired around the same time, and apparently didn't belong to the same person though they had similar last names...

Especially considering that your other jacket belongs to a guy just one level lower in the officer's ranks, and this jacket (with a higher rank) sports a Navy Reserve medal. This would make perfect sense if the guy stayed in the reserves after the war, made it to the next rank, and retired sometime later. Both uniforms have the exact same number of stars on the Pacific Campaign ribbon (4), the Philippine Liberation Ribbon (2), and both have a Purple Heart. The fact that the WWII awards match up perfectly is very interesting...

Of course, I could just be making something where nothing exists if the names written in the jackets truly are different.

When you take pics of the tags, make sure you hold the camera VERY still, and give your picture a good chance at coming out right by getting some good light. Most small digital cameras are perfectly capable of taking good closeups (even the camera in my phone does pretty good) if you give the picture a chance at coming out right.

I just find it a remarkable coincidence that your two new Navy jackets, both to officers close in rank, and sporting VERY similar ribbons were acquired around the same time, and apparently didn't belong to the same person though they had similar last names...

Especially considering that your other jacket belongs to a guy just one level lower in the officer's ranks, and this jacket (with a higher rank) sports a Navy Reserve medal. This would make perfect sense if the guy stayed in the reserves after the war, made it to the next rank, and retired sometime later. Both uniforms have the exact same number of stars on the Pacific Campaign ribbon (4), the Philippine Liberation Ribbon (2), and both have a Purple Heart. The fact that the WWII awards match up perfectly is very interesting...

Of course, I could just be making something where nothing exists if the names written in the jackets truly are different.

When you take pics of the tags, make sure you hold the camera VERY still, and give your picture a good chance at coming out right by getting some good light. Most small digital cameras are perfectly capable of taking good closeups (even the camera in my phone does pretty good) if you give the picture a chance at coming out right.

I must say, and my post support it, that I agree with Longbranch. I think that there is a very good possibility that these jackets belong to the same guy. If they do it would be a bonus.

I take all my photos using what little light there is in the room. No flash. If I tap down on the trigger very softly the picture comes into focus and then I take the picture. Doesn't always come out the way i want it to but more often than not it does.

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this

M

here is the LT Commander uniform i got in a trade on Sunday at the swapmeet, i traded a vietnam era bronze star for it. has wolf brown ribbons and is in great shape. let me know what you guys think! :thumbsup: if anyone can help me research the name that would be most appreciated. the name is "Bocos".

Philip ;)

The name in this jacket is clear, even though the picture isn't, it's B.O.G.G.S. same as the green jacket.

so its a large capital letter then small capital letters (dont know if that sounds right). that makes sense. maybe a dealer bought the jacket from the man and couldnt get the other so i picked it up. very cool, so now i have a group! oh, and when i was looking at the pin marks i saw 2 makrs above the purple heart where wings would go! so i the dealer probably took them off. see if i can find them this weekend.

Philip

Does this ( the blue one ) jacket show any signs of have had a wing on it ? I could have been a sew on bullion one.

as i said. the jacket shows signs of have one above the PH as there are 2 pin marks above it. too bad the dealer took em off :pinch:

Philip

so its a large capital letter then small capital letters (dont know if that sounds right). that makes sense. maybe a dealer bought the jacket from the man and couldnt get the other so i picked it up. very cool, so now i have a group! oh, and when i was looking at the pin marks i saw 2 makrs above the purple heart where wings would go! so i the dealer probably took them off. see if i can find them this weekend.

Philip

Well this is good news. And disregard my last post I see you did find holes for the wing. See if the dealer has any hats or flying gear or photos or paperwork.

Well this is good news. And disregard my last post I see you did find holes for the wing. See if the dealer has any hats or flying gear or photos or paperwork.

well, he bought it from another swapmeet guy who found this at a yard sale. the guy had his hat but wanted too much for it and it wasnt in the best of shape. i think the dealer only bought the uniform. next to his table there is a dealer that brings wings so i will see if i can get a set there.

Philip

I've got a name in "my great list of WWII naval aviators," Ralph E Boggs, Lieut, USNR, VBF-94, USS Lexington (CV-16), with a reference date of 24 July 1945.