Fake M2 Medic Helmet

The seller states that the helmet, in his words "May have been restored or repainted" so that probably means he knows it and is covering his backside but what of the D-bales? Any comment on their originality and reasons either way? I'm none the wiser when it comes to identifying repros.

Cheers.

Rob

Rob Cawte

Interested in buying AIR CORPS items, particularly 8th and 9th AAF id'd medals, uniforms/groupings

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

it doesnt look good to me. but i do applaud the seller for listing it in the repros section of ebay and not trying to pass it off as an original.

Philip

Actively Seeking:

WW2 USN/USMC Attributed/Named Purple Heart Groups

WW2 USN/USMC Combat Aviation Groups

WW2 and Prior USN/USMC Medal Groups

Contact me if you have something

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

The seller told me the M2 helmet is original from WWII and so in the liner, but the medical markings are newly added, as are the trees. :rolleyes::lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

I'll add pictures when I get home tonight

im guessing the person that's been mailing him about his fake is you ?? good job i think he's finally got the idea that not even the loops are original as i think he was atleast trying to hold on to that possibility :rolleyes:

Regards Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bound to say it sold relatively cheaply when compared with the prices fake/repro lids have been making recently!!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I'm bound to say it sold relatively cheaply when compared with the prices fake/repro lids have been making recently!!

True that. Still doesn't make sense to me though. I would rather put that money towards a real fixed bail with good liner, etc..!!

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

True that. Still doesn't make sense to me though. I would rather put that money towards a real fixed bail with good liner, etc..!!

I would bet a lot of the bidders for these helmets are looking to resell them as original to some unsuspecting collector. Why do you think these fakes gets passed around so often? :pinch:

Justin

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Good point Justin. I've often had those thoughts too.

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I would bet a lot of the bidders for these helmets are looking to resell them as original to some unsuspecting collector. Why do you think these fakes gets passed around so often? :pinch:

Justin

A lot of people like to bag on eBay for the fakes on there, but how many fakes are sold at shows and never see the "public scrutiny" of the forum? It's easy for someone to take a decent fake pot to a show, peddle it for a "good" price, and then essentially disappear afterwards...leaving the new (and unsuspecting) buyer up the proverbial creek without a paddle when he realizes his error down the road...

Dave

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

A lot of people like to bag on eBay for the fakes on there, but how many fakes are sold at shows and never see the "public scrutiny" of the forum? It's easy for someone to take a decent fake pot to a show, peddle it for a "good" price, and then essentially disappear afterwards...leaving the new (and unsuspecting) buyer up the proverbial creek without a paddle when he realizes his error down the road...

Dave

This is why I am spending so much time at this forum (also the reason I joined) . I have to say, I am appreciative of everyone on here who has honest knowledge about the helmets, and I am just soaking it all up :) I will be in teh helmet selling business for years to come, seeing the qty of helmets that I recently came into. I attend gun & militaria shows as a vendor, my intent is to be a buyer for certain items such as helmets. So once again, thanks for all the chatter back and forth on helmets and fakes and such - great stuff for a rookie like me !