Has Anyone Seen this Hallmark?

mshaw

Obviously I'm having computer troubles tonight. My apologies. Here is the original wording I meant to include with the back.

I picked this command pilot wing up several years ago. It has a hallmark I've never encountered. It appears to be either CTC or OTO, I can't say for sure even with a loop. Also, there appear to be dots inside the Os or Cs whatever they are. Is this even a hallmark or am I seeing things?

Obviously I'm having computer troubles tonight. My apologies. Here is the original wording I meant to include with the back.

I picked this command pilot wing up several years ago. It has a hallmark I've never encountered. It appears to be either CTC or OTO, I can't say for sure even with a loop. Also, there appear to be dots inside the Os or Cs whatever they are. Is this even a hallmark or am I seeing things?

"O.C. Tanner"

Salt Lake City, Utah

Hey my friend, the back of your Command Pilot wing sure appears to be WWII vintage. When you have a moment, please share an image of the front. The O.C. Tanner Jewelry Company was established in 1927 and is still around. I suspect Tanner may have contracted with a company like Josten to actually produce your wing.

Here's a similar O.C. Tanner hallmark on an early 1950's U.S. Army Pilot wing.

southairwingrev_1__crop.jpg

Thanks for posting this little gem! Now help educate me folks... to my knowledge they only produced wings post war is this correct? Additionally it looks like we have two variations of the makers mark. I would love to see some other examples.

Cheers

John

EDIT - I guess i should have Gooled it first - it appears that O.C. Tanner did not build his first factory until 1954 (key dates below from the web). I still would love to hear form other collectors.

Key Dates:

1927: Obert C. Tanner starts selling graduation class rings and pins.

1945: O.C. Tanner Co. starts selling corporate recognition awards.

1954: O.C. Tanner builds its first factory.

1993: Kent Murdock becomes president of the company.

• 10 years later...

I just spotted another wing with this "ctc" hallmark, and it is definitely a "c" with a dot in the center on both sides of the t.  I am not sure if the center is really the letter t or if it was more meant to be a cross.  In this example it looks like there might be an open loop at the top of the t, but everything above the cross bar of the t might just be a product of stamping the hallmark on a curved surface.

Anyhow, based on this I would say this is definitely not an OC Tanner hallmark.  Wishful thinking would make it a previously unknown Charles Tiffany Co. hallmark.

CTC hallmark.jpg