WW1 US PILOTS WINGS

jager1

Major,

I think your on the money with that, alot of the metal badges and "Dallas" wings are seen by the men at Love, Ellington. I love looking through Ellington book to see all the variations in wing badges and wing prop devices.. PAul

Good point Terry! I think in general we collectors tend to try to put things into neat little boxes as a way of organizing our thoughts in generalized terms. Another example would be the Juarez wings... or another favorite Gemscraft ;)

All the best

John

Here are the better pics of my wing, thought it worth posting these as they can be used as a reference in future for either a good fake set or a good set if ever proved otherwise.

Jager1

post-14132-1319628639.jpg

Here is a wing with a very similar background that I just found being sold on ebay. While the photos aren't great, I suspect that this is an better than average attempt to copy this Homorichus-style wing: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/wwi/us/presleyhaile.shtml

(I hope Bob and Cliff don't mind me linking to the site?).

Patrick,

The eBay dealer "tally_estate_buyer," offering that Humrichous-style WW1 copy has also listed a "USAAF STERLING SILVER WASP PILOTS WINGS" by Robbins, eBay Item #280759158011. It also happens to be a post-WW2 copy; therefore, two copies being offered on eBay at the same time by the same dealer should serve as red flags waving and be a warning to everyone that we need to be extra careful about which dealers we choose to do business with.

post-4542-1319817619.jpg

post-4542-1319818300.jpg

And, unfortunately Cliff, someone has bid it to $300 with 8 hours to go. I checked this wing with Bob's fine Web site and it has a number of differences with the World War 2 originals.

Patrick,

The eBay dealer "tally_estate_buyer," offering that Humrichous-style WW1 copy has also listed a "USAAF STERLING SILVER WASP PILOTS WINGS" by Robbins, eBay Item #280759158011. It also happens to be a post-WW2 copy; therefore, two copies being offered on eBay at the same time by the same dealer should serve as red flags waving and be a warning to everyone that we need to be extra careful about which dealers we choose to do business with.

IMHO he has more than 2 repops in auctions. Including a couple of WWI wings and a few WASPy related wings. Not so sure about the WASP stuff myself, but if the WWI stuff is systematic of the rest...

At the risk of boring you all to death I would like to throw forth one more comment then I will shut up for awhile.

I have noticed recently that the term "Dallas Wing" keeps popping up when one refers to any metal on wool and sometimes all metal wings. In my conversations with several WW1 vets and with Duncan Campbell I came to the conclusion that the only true "Dallas Wing" was the two styles made by BB&B Philadelphia (with the small feathers in the shoulder) and Eisenstadt St. Louis (with the three large feathers in the shoulder).

Pictured below is the Eisenstadt version of the Jr. Military Aviator (August 1917 to Oct 1917) and then Observer wing badge (Oct 1917 to Dec 1917). These wings were never manufactured in Dallas, Tex, but were tagged "Dallas wing" because they were purchased from the sales reps in Dallas, and when the dashing young aviator was asked where he got his wings his reply was Dallas.

Of course I could be way out in left field on this but the explanation came directly from the old boys (Lt. Ruban Keller in particular) who bought and wore this style wing. Would love to hear from you other gents on your opinion ref the "Dallas" wing.

Terry

I had posted the patent for the "Dallas style" wing a few weeks ago. While I don't know better, it seems plausible to me that since the patent was submitted from a couple of fellows in Dallas, that is where the name came from.

P