B-2 Jungle emergency bailout kit

Bob Hudson

A colleague found this recently and had me come over today and take a look at it. I assume it is the B-2 jungle emergency kit. I've looked around online and could not find another with the harness still on it.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

It has the frying pan insert, but not frying pan :)

5.jpg

4.jpg

This pilot was stationed in the Canal Zone. Besides the bailout kit, there is a flight bag full of goodies, a parachute and trunks of photos and documents.

14.jpg

13.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The flight bag was full of gear, pink and tan uniforms items and a flight suit.

18.jpg

The parachute is intact with no cut lines or panels.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

There are trunks full of documents and photos, much of it related to his service. Just before I left my friend's place this morning we found these folders which include flight and training records, equipment issue inventories (naming the items in these photos), etc.

20.jpg

This photo processing receipt shows his unit, apparently, but the flight logs showing B-24's and B-25's and the C-78 Bobcat.

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

This whole grouping was going to be thrown into the trash by the family!

Nice kit

I see those and the Navy ones from time to time.One I have(which is empty)came attaced to a S1 pilots chute.Was used as a seat cussion on the pack the way it was configured.There is also a modet where the knife is the Collins #18 style with bowie blade in lieu of the folding machete.

Nice kit

I see those and the Navy ones from time to time.One I have(which is empty)came attaced to a S1 pilots chute.Was used as a seat cussion on the pack the way it was configured.There is also a modet where the knife is the Collins #18 style with bowie blade in lieu of the folding machete.

Any idea how this was worn with a parachute?

NICE LOT BOB---- BE CAREFUL OF THE FLARE-- IT MY BE UNSTABLE AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.

I'll pass that along :o

The parachute appears to be the A-3 Parachute Reserve Pack.

Your friend has hit the mother lode!!! I would KILL to find a group like that!!

As for the B-2 kit; they were issued empty and then filled on a local basis with the contents "customized" for local conditions. A frying pan first kit without the frying pan would not be unusual under those circumstances.

Tom

Hi Bob,

Your friend appears to have an A-3 quick attachable chest (QAC) parachute. The harness for the chute has had the standard back pad cushion replaced with the B-2 jungle survival kit. The smooth side of the kit shown in your photos would go against the back and the harness would be on the outside. There are "D" rings sewn on the lower sides of the harness which would allow the pararaft pack to be attached with large snap hooks and serve as a seat cushion. This would be a common configuration for the pilot of a multi engine aircraft. The parachute pack would be stowed in a convenient location nearby. Hope this helps. Best regards, Paul