M7 Launcher, H.S.M. Co.

tsellati

...a nice example of a WWII M7 grenade launcher nonetheless -

M7launcher.jpg

This one was made by the Hawley Smith Machine Company (H.S.M.CO.). H.S.M.CO. was a latecomer to M7 production. The company received a government contract in November 1944 and was the last maker to cease production.

M7makermark.jpg

As WWII was ending, Ordnance was working on giving the grenadier carrying an M1 Garand rifle the capability of launching grenades. The standard grenade launcher had a long stud which kept the gas system opened. This allowed venting of the operating gases to prevent injury to the operator and damage to the rifle. It was accomplished by a valve inside the Gas Cylinder Lock Screw. The long stud automatically depressed the valve to the opened position, which allowed gases to escape from the gas system. The disadvantage of such a system was its inability to allow the rifle to be fired while the M7 launcher remained on the rifle and the gas system remained opened.

What I particularly like about this example is that it appears to have seen field use. Here is a picture of the range markings on the launcher and below that you can see evidence of what appears to be powder/burn residue around the launcher stud and at its muzzle (if that's the correct term) -

M7sightingmarks.jpg

M7breachend.jpg

M7businessend.jpg

When get a chance I'll set up the launcher along with an M1A1 grenade adapter and MkII grenade on my M1 Garand rifle and post some pictures.

Tim

Oh, I meant to ask out of curiosity, has anyone ever launched a grenade from their M1 Garand rifle? I'd love to give it a try and I know launcher ammo is still floating around. I would just be a little leery about lobbing the grenade and adapter over the range's berm and losing the darn thing :unsure:.

Tim

A fellow NCO did with those Blue AT practise grenades and the ballistite cartridge on his property. He had it set for 200Yds and the thing went over the tree line at 600. Luckily he has a large property

A fellow NCO did with those Blue AT practise grenades and the ballistite cartridge on his property. He had it set for 200Yds and the thing went over the tree line at 600. Luckily he has a large property

Ah yeah :think: , I think I will skip the risk of launching my adapter/grenade into orbit :ermm: .

Tim

Oh, I meant to ask out of curiosity, has anyone ever launched a grenade from their M1 Garand rifle? I'd love to give it a try and I know launcher ammo is still floating around. I would just be a little leery about lobbing the grenade and adapter over the range's berm and losing the darn thing :unsure:.

Tim

I haven't launched any grenades, but I've launched tennis balls. Several years ago Samco had the grenade adapters for something like $40 per case, if I recall correctly. Each case came with a small box of grenade blanks. A tennis balls will fit one of the adapters just as neatly as a grenade will and a plain M1909 blanks will send an adapter with a tennis ball several hundred yards.

Okay, here's a little trick I found to have all the fun with no chance of losing your grenades...

I purchased dummy grenades from a place online called Service of Supply. They have both AT and AP grenades made of foam rubber. You can get blank cartridges from Atlantik Wall Blanks. The ranges are somewhat short... but then you probably don't want to go all over God's green acre looking for your grenades either. The Grenades are $29.50 the last I saw... The Blanks are NOT the GRENADE CARTRIDGES used to fire the real thing... I also have a demonstration here:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video...160513273971595

Good luck!!!

Wayne

Okay, here's a little trick I found to have all the fun with no chance of losing your grenades...

I purchased dummy grenades from a place online called Service of Supply. They have both AT and AP grenades made of foam rubber. You can get blank cartridges from Atlantik Wall Blanks. The ranges are somewhat short... but then you probably don't want to go all over God's green acre looking for your grenades either. The Grenades are $29.50 the last I saw... The Blanks are NOT the GRENADE CARTRIDGES used to fire the real thing... I also have a demonstration here:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video...160513273971595

Good luck!!!

Wayne

Excellent, that definitely looks like the way to go :thumbsup: . I'll look into picking up the items I need and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tim