Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

Im pretty sure a few guys here own helmets from Saving Private Ryan and The Pacific etc......mike

Yessiree, I've got a plastic one from BoB....it's really pretty cool, looks great on display

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
I was experimenting with doing some screen saves the other night. Here are some pics of helmets used in the 1950 Warner Bros. film "Breakthrough" which deals with a unit taking part in the D-Day landings. The shots are from scenes in the landing craft moving toward the beach. The first pic show actor John Agar. Note the Hawley liner.

Breakthroughhelmet.jpg

Here's a shot of Frank Lovejoy also with a Hawley liner. Note the man in the left foreground with a minty looking M1C para helmet!

Breakthroughhelmet2.jpg

Once again the 1950s bracketed chinstrap for a WWII movie, this being Kings Go Forth, Sinatra with the wrong type, Curtis with the right type.

post-34986-1326094316.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Patches. Is it me or does the Duke's USMC cover look ill-fitting and kind of weird?! It appears that the flaps aren't sandwiched between the liner and shell in the usual manner!

Hi Patches. Is it me or does the Duke's USMC cover look ill-fitting and kind of weird?! It appears that the flaps aren't sandwiched between the liner and shell in the usual manner!

As we do see that Steel Helmet is complete, I would say that the flaps of the cover is not pulled tight, causing that billowing around the rim, a common enough sight in the Marines and later the Army of the 50s into the 80s when they started to wear covers, what ever type they might be.

As we do see that Steel Helmet is complete, I would say that the flaps of the cover is not pulled tight, causing that billowing around the rim, a common enough sight in the Marines and later the Army of the 50s into the 80s when they started to wear covers, what ever type they might be.

Hmmm....I see your point! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Another Marine flic, this one War Time.

GUNG HO.

An attempt no doubt to recreate the Burlap covers, here it looks like plain drab cloth over painted with greens.

post-34986-1330496280.jpg

What about Gregory Peck's helmet in Pork Chop Hill?

15557__1.jpg

600px-Clemons_Ohashi_MkII.jpg

Those are good one,s, I posted one on a Korean war Helmet covers topic a while ago as it is a authentic recreation of your typical burlap/hessian covers worn during that war from 1950-53.

post-647-1330537613.jpg

After that one you should watch "Go for broke" for the 34th and 36th ID marked helmets and " To Hell and back" for 3rd ID marked helmets. After seeing these two movies some collectors should be starting worrying about some of their helmets !!!...

Cordially.

JC

Still the best WW2 movie out there. They told the story just as well, without the graphic detail. I'd take it over Band of Brothers, or SPR any day.

I remember reading on the Mark Bando 101st AB site that some of the uniforms worn were WW2 bring back stuff and that some 101st vets were extras including some of the B of B guys.

Edited to add: I remember on some of the early episodes of "Combat" that they had helmets with the same markings as the "Battleground helmets", so I suppose they hung around the prop department for a while until pulled out for that show later.

Still the best WW2 movie out there. They told the story just as well, without the graphic detail. I'd take it over Band of Brothers, or SPR any day.

I have it on DVD and I have watched it many times. While watching it a couple of weeks ago I noted the same thing, 38Driver! It told the story better in my opinion - Movies then were more about story and personality (acting) - In movies today it's mostly shock and gore with no attachment to a character.

There was humor mixed in with the sadness of war, just as there is in real war today and the young soldiers still clown around with each other even though they're dealing with terrible stress and loss of friends. Of course the actors were outstanding back then, and you really got to like the characters they developed, so when they were killed it was still poignant.

• 1 month later...

Here one the imfamous Helmets from Patton, one was also of course by George C Scott, I started a topic months ago on this but as I remember we really didnt difinitively come to any real concensus.

post-34986-1336190734.jpg