Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

A favorite of mine. Resin stunt helmet (notice the rivet that secures the bales). Also the leather liner chinstrap on this one made by Academy Costumes of London means that he has a Vietnam era liner in it.

post-20509-1321588837.jpg

The bayonet lug debacle comes because most carbines were rebuilt in the years following WWII. If I receall correctly, all the carbines ever made were WWII production, just arsenal refurbished for Korea and Vietnam. I am unsure to what extent the M1s and M2s served beside each other, but at the very least, most of those carbines were refurbed for their many potential users: National Guard outfits, South Korea, Greece, and other anti-Communist governments. Among the mandatory upgrades were the M2 style sights and M2 barrel band with lug. I betcha a nickel that they are all carrying M1s, but with that postwar rebuild, original lugless carbines with flip sights were rare then as well as now.

A belated thanks for the information Grandoman, it would seem what you pointed out makes perfect sense, I on the other hand IF I was on the tech staff in any of those films back in the day would have at least removed the LUG sleeve, at the very least, on those that would be carried by the principal actors.

A belated thanks for the information Grandoman, it would seem what you pointed out makes perfect sense, I on the other hand IF I was on the tech staff in any of those films back in the day would have at least removed the LUG sleeve, at the very least, on those that would be carried by the principal actors.

Back in the day no one really cared about being accurate. They used American vehicles and painted them to look German. So what is a bayonet lug or 2. As for Spike Lee, he now lives in the age of accuracy and should have been so. I don't think, however, that the collectors were his target audience.

What's with that lid in the Captain America selection....is it XXXL or has the guy got a very small noggin?! :lol:

the actor has a very small head and narrow face and pencil neck , making his M1 helmet appear huge

like a 10 year old kid wearing a big helmet

I think they were trying to make him appear smaller and scrawny so after he was transformed into Cpt America he was big and muscular etc.....but there is no exuse for those helmets!...the steel shells chinstraps are under the liners para straps!...KFC!?.......mike

if ya look at this one where dose his chins go between the liner & shell :lol:

the straps are probably glued or stapled in and the shell is most likely lightweight plastic of some type thats been painted to look like a steel helmet :lol:

I think they were trying to make him appear smaller and scrawny so after he was transformed into Cpt America he was big and muscular etc.....but there is no exuse for those helmets!...the steel shells chinstraps are under the liners para straps!...KFC!?.......mike

He looks like a mushroom!! :lol:

gliderrider401
1949: Battleground, all the helmets were fixed bail :thumbsup:

Great looking 327th/401st Steel Pot!!!! Heck, that 101st patch looks pretty good too. Wonder if they used original WWII vintage patches on the jackets???

Rich

Merrill's Marauders

Jeff Chandler (and other actors as well) wore various M1s. Some of them were correct, but some were with more or less strange bales and chinstrap buckles.

post-75-1321994817.jpg

post-75-1321994828.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I was experimenting with doing some screen saves the other night. Here are some pics of helmets used in the 1950 Warner Bros. film "Breakthrough" which deals with a unit taking part in the D-Day landings. The shots are from scenes in the landing craft moving toward the beach. The first pic show actor John Agar. Note the Hawley liner.

Breakthroughhelmet.jpg

Here's a shot of Frank Lovejoy also with a Hawley liner. Note the man in the left foreground with a minty looking M1C para helmet!

Breakthroughhelmet2.jpg

PVT Gomer Pyle San Diego 1965, it looks rather bulbous don't you think.

post-34986-1324415831.jpg

I watched "The Dirty Dozen" again for the first time in ages last night. I'd forgotten just how bad the helmets were. Strange buckled leather chinstraps and odd leather pseudo-airborne chincups attached directly to the bails! Weird!! :blink:

post-8022-1324416289.jpg

Merrill's Marauders

Jeff Chandler (and other actors as well) wore various M1s. Some of them were correct, but some were with more or less strange bales and chinstrap buckles.

And as we know now, Merrill's Marauders did not wear nets on their steel pots.

With some exceptions... ;)

But TOP, that will be your field made type, maybe even a Nip type, not the British types that are in the flic, having said that, I'm sure some U.S. personel who where sent out to Burma from a nice cushy yet fetid and steamy garrison existance, could be seen with either types of British or that unique Indian Army nets however rare they might of been.

Yes, we do. It is non-US helmet.

Looks like a basketBall cut in half with a set of chin straps attached by some unknown method, with a liner force up into it and a piece of camo material applied to it :w00t:

Great pics guys, but does anyone own a hollywood helmet? Thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

Im pretty sure a few guys here own helmets from Saving Private Ryan and The Pacific etc......mike