Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

How about Telly's tanker helmet from "Battle of the Bulge"?!

post-8022-1319303998.jpg

Ive always wondered about Tellys tanker helmet, i think it was some type of European clone of the US tanker helmet or just some made up prop??.....mike

Mike...it was mostly filmed in Spain using Spanish Army equipment (though largely of US origin) so I'm guessing the tanker helmet was, as you suggest, a European clone...probably Spanish?

Ian

Ever notice that SGT Saunders (Vic Morrow) in COMBAT! wore a LINER (covered with parachute silk)??

Later in the series the cast grew tired of wearing the heavy steel helmets and fiberglass replacements were made. You will notice the odd texture on Lt. Hanley's helmet and that the chin straps just disappear up into the helmets, probably just glued into place.

I could never understand the use of the M2 carbine in the WWII war movies of the 50s and 60s even in the 70s, it would seem that everyone of them the M2 was being carried, this is puzzling given the hugh amount of M1 carbines that where certainly avilable, conversely at the time in the 1950s the M2 carbine was a standard issue weapon in the Armed Forces and I find it equally puzzling that Hollywood could get its hands on so many of this weapon that was being used by the Armed Forces, was there such a glut of the M2 carbines ?, In closing do any of you guys ever remember seeing a late 40s through 70s WWII movie, especialy a late 40s -50s movie where the M2 carbine was not used but rather the correct M1 carbine ? Moderators feel free to move this if its deemed better in another forum.

In Merrill's Marauders, all the troops carry M2 carbines.

post-8022-1319354157.jpg

If I remember some of the helmets worn in the movie had the early non sewn chin straps, it was the type that had the metal grommet ( I not sure if i'm useing the correct description here ) to attach it to the bail as opposed to the bar tack.

In Merrill's Marauders, all the troops carry M2 carbines.

Merci Andrei,Oh yea, I do know that, I remember, but can any forum member site a movie from this time period where the M2 was NOT carried, and the proper M1 was ? This is not some gotcha question on my part, I honestly do not ever recall seeing a movie or a TV series from the early 50s in to the 70s probably in to the 80s ( That turkey the Big Red One comes to mind ) where an M1 carbine was carried, this would include Combat.

The bayonet lug debacle comes because most carbines were rebuilt in the years following WWII. If I receall correctly, all the carbines ever made were WWII production, just arsenal refurbished for Korea and Vietnam. I am unsure to what extent the M1s and M2s served beside each other, but at the very least, most of those carbines were refurbed for their many potential users: National Guard outfits, South Korea, Greece, and other anti-Communist governments. Among the mandatory upgrades were the M2 style sights and M2 barrel band with lug. I betcha a nickel that they are all carrying M1s, but with that postwar rebuild, original lugless carbines with flip sights were rare then as well as now.

usmc-collector

Some photos from movie Batle of Los Angeles, probably some type of commercial one size fits all plastic helmets, strange shape and terrible suspension and retention system (straps). They spend milion dollars on locations, vehicles, FX effects and do not provide main actor stars with realistic helmet and gear. It is bad detail you see on every poster, promotion photos end etc. As well notice empty body armor, and in movie you can also see gear marines never used. Just wonder why they hire military advisors for movies.

post-31-1319364885.jpg post-31-1319364894.jpg

The bayonet lug debacle comes because most carbines were rebuilt in the years following WWII. If I receall correctly, all the carbines ever made were WWII production, just arsenal refurbished for Korea and Vietnam. I am unsure to what extent the M1s and M2s served beside each other, but at the very least, most of those carbines were refurbed for their many potential users: National Guard outfits, South Korea, Greece, and other anti-Communist governments. Among the mandatory upgrades were the M2 style sights and M2 barrel band with lug. I betcha a nickel that they are all carrying M1s, but with that postwar rebuild, original lugless carbines with flip sights were rare then as well as now.

IIRC, in Merrill's Marauders you can see and hear actors shooting full automatic with their carbines during combat action scenes. And the clips are 30rd bananas.

Has anybody seen Spike Lees "Buffalo Soldiers 44"? An incredible mix of uniforms and equipment from three decades 40´s til 60´s. Lee had a budget of 40.000.000 bucks and used postwar M1. Wasted celluloid and time to watch...

post-3208-1319394704.jpg

General Apathy
E.G. Marshall, "Bridge at Remagen". He needs to let out his suspension a little!

post-8022-1319319298.jpg

Hi Ian, when your an actor you want your face seen by the public and the producers of any future films to keep the work rolling in. :thumbsup:

I recall one actor saying that when he had to kiss women in films he always put his hands on either side of their face to obscure most it and make his face the dominant one in the scene, it's all about being seen and remembered. :lol::lol:

ken

Hi Ian, when your an actor you want your face seen by the public and the producers of any future films to keep the work rolling in. :thumbsup:

I recall one actor saying that when he had to kiss women in films he always put his hands on either side of their face to obscure most it and make his face the dominant one in the scene, it's all about being seen and remembered. :lol::lol:

ken

Did you use the same technique during your re-enacting hey-days Ken?! ;)