Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

Has anyone else noticed that limited numbers of the rare WWII Army test camouflage helmet covers made it into the movie prop houses post war and can be seen in a few features. Here from First To Fight

I absolutely never noticed that. Thanks for posting this - very interesting.

Tom

• 4 months later...

Found another M1 Carbine used in a 50s movie, Retreat Hell, this scanned from a book I got, go figutee right, in this instance the M2 carbine would be totally accurate :lol:

Frank Lovejoy on the right, Richard Carlson on the left.

post-34986-0-69884100-1545713459_thumb.jpg

I have read on several posts referring to an "M2 Carbine." Just because it has post war mods, like a bayo lug, round bolt, type 2 or 3 rear sight, does not make it an M2. M2s were strictly select fire semi or full auto - the flip lever being on the left side of the receiver - usually not even visible. I know of no M2s being fielded during WW2. The bayonet lug appeared very, very late ETO or PTO, as in April/May 1945, and in extremely limited numbers. I have spoken to a few WWII vets who were trained for the invasion of Japan and were sailing from Hawaii to Australia and were issued one 30 round magazine. But that would still be the summer of 1945. Someone posted an interesting photo taken in Europe spring 1945 where the GI had a carbine with no bayonet lug, but clearly in his scabbard was an M4 bayonet instead of an M3 knife.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I have read on several posts referring to an "M2 Carbine." Just because it has post war mods, like a bayo lug, round bolt, type 2 or 3 rear sight, does not make it an M2. M2s were strictly select fire semi or full auto - the flip lever being on the left side of the receiver - usually not even visible. I know of no M2s being fielded during WW2. The bayonet lug appeared very, very late ETO or PTO, as in April/May 1945, and in extremely limited numbers. I have spoken to a few WWII vets who were trained for the invasion of Japan and were sailing from Hawaii to Australia and were issued one 30 round magazine. But that would still be the summer of 1945. Someone posted an interesting photo taken in Europe spring 1945 where the GI had a carbine with no bayonet lug, but clearly in his scabbard was an M4 bayonet instead of an M3 knife.

are you talking factory M2 or T17 and T18 converted M1s? I have read 14,000 converted M1s were used at the tail end of the ETO.

Here's a WWII photo of the 20 found magazine fixed in an M1 Carbine, photo is of member jmar Father who posted a TAPS notice with the photos on the occasion of his passing March 2012, two photos as we see.

His commentary on the subject.

FOR PATCHES:

My dad would have gotten such a kick out of being able to help the forum with his photo. I recall speaking with him about the carbine and he said it was a 20-round clip. This photo and the one originally posted are marked on the back: Korea 1946. He was stationed there as part of the 6th Inf Div occupation forces attached to the Quartermaster Corps (he with routing materials via rail and had some very amusing stories to tell).

You can clearly see the banana clip in this photo of him.

Thank you ALL again, my best to each of you,

post-48324-1331324727.jpg

post-48324-1331575032.jpg

Great shot of the 3rd Inf Div painted helmet on Murphy's new First Sergeant (what was it in the movie, Sgt Klasky??) in To Hell and Back, the North Africa scene when he reports for duty with Co B 15th Inf. 3rd Div patch would be more akin to the Korean War than WWII in size and appearance.

post-34986-0-36572700-1546657340_thumb.jpg

Great shot of the 3rd Inf Div painted helmet on Murphy's new First Sergeant (what was it in the movie, Sgt Klasky??) in To Hell and Back, the North Africa scene when he reports for duty with Co B 15th Inf. 3rd Div patch would be more akin to the Korean War than WWII in size and appearance.

attachicon.gifrsz_to_hell.jpg

I might also add the the division didn't start painted the division shoulder patch on their helmets till after the Sicilian Campaign so having this in Algeria would be inaccurate.

I've clicked on several of the real good close up images and not seeing that rivet either on any of them. The helmet sure does look like a prop, if used in Wake Island movie, maybe then one not worn by the principle actors?

Just got the movie from Amazon today, havn't see it in years and years, going to start watching the DVD tonight, just for fun, will keep a eye out if we spot this kind of helmet in the movie.

• 8 months later...

Just got the movie from Amazon today, havn't see it in years and years, going to start watching the DVD tonight, just for fun, will keep a eye out if we spot this kind of helmet in the movie.

Whoops forgot to give that update,

NO EGA Ornaments are seen on any helmets throughout the movie, these being both the principle actors or extras.

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed, here he is in ATTACK, couldn't find an image of Jaeckel in Battleground, but for those unaware, he wore a British netted steel pot with the Paratrooper first aid pack tied to the top front.

attachicon.gifAttack_05.jpg

Found the photo of Jaeckel in Battleground, in the Battleground topic in MOVIES, Aid Pack tied as we see now towards off a bit to the side the bottom not on the front top.

post-34986-0-43298600-1573880523_thumb.jpg

Really cool cap Patches, always loved that movie. I really enjoy when they are all geared up and moving towards the front, mixed with original footage, such an authentic movie.

• 1 month later...

Genuine Liners of the 720th MP Bn in Japan as seen in the 1952 movie Back at the Front the sequel to the 1951 movie Up Front. Some of the movie was filmed on location in Tokyo in 1951-maybe in 1952, so these may be actual serving solders of this unit, but then there's the GHQ patch, Shouldn't it now be the new Far East Command Patch, you know the one with Mount Fuji on it????

post-34986-0-88892100-1578804861.jpg

The actual liners in use in 1951 in Tokyo.

post-34986-0-00364500-1578804870_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-34986-0-10767300-1583116667.jpgpost-34986-0-79820100-1583116678.jpg
Paulette Goddard and Veronica Lake

Found two, these from So Proudly We Hail, these look OK, M1917 seems on on Goddard, Lake an M1917A1 rght

BILL THE PATCH

Hubba Hubba!............mike

Veronica lake was one of the most gorgeous women of the 1940's, and was a very good actress.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

Waiting for the shyte storm to hit, lmao, the pc police are gonna get you.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

As Captain Mc Lean (Eddie Albert) said about Lotus Bloosum (Machiko Kyō) in the movie Tea House of August Moon.

Oh...She Can Dance in My Chaya (Teahouse) anytime :D

post-34986-0-40940800-1583198972_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hollywood Helmet

Robert Taylor has a good pot, Fixed Loop, English Net, the movie is D-Day the Sixth of June. Richard Tood there as his English Counterpart in the invasion, Todd's character sports a Somerset Light Infantry Cap Badge on his Green Commando Beret, that's how it went, most offcers wearing the badge of the regiment they were in before joining the new commandos.

pkm.JPG

Theriddler

Apologies for being pedantic but the Somerset Light Infantry were attached to the 7th Parachute Battalion during D Day not the Royal Marine Commandos that’s why Richard Todd is wearing a Denison smock in the photograph above. As you probably know Richard was an actual veteran of D Day taking part in the Glider assault that captured the canal bridge now referred to as Pegasus Bridge. He also reenacted this assault in the film the Longest Day playing the Part of the commanding officer Major John Howard.