Let's See your Paramarine & Raider Groupings

MBMorley

Chutesandskulls

Restored uniform of Elmer C.l.y.m.e.r. who was present at the Makin Raid, the long patrol and was later WIA on Iwo Jima. He served out the rest of the war as an infantry instructor.

post-157707-0-34790100-1432684121.jpg

post-157707-0-89133100-1432684182.jpg

Chutesandskulls

Uniform of Marine Raider Herman P.o.e.l.m.a.n. who was one of the last Marines to join Fourth Raider battalion. He also served on Guam and Okinawa. He was seriously wounded on Okinawa and later discharged from the Marine Corps.

post-157707-0-63841400-1432684415.jpg

Hello,

Very nice uniforms ! there is a lot of history resumed by these coats !

Here is my contribution, dress blue uniform (coat and pants) of Matthew J. Cullinane Jr who was in A company, 1st Raider Battalion. In July 1942, he was transferred to the 8th Marine regiment, 2nd Division and participated in the battle of Guadalcanal where he was wounded by gunshot in left arm.

He awarded the PH and also participated in the battle of Tarawa with the 8th regiment.

Regards.

post-67345-0-55900500-1432689369.jpg

post-67345-0-68323800-1432689370.jpg

post-67345-0-62119600-1432689371.jpg

• 2 years later...

27498584948_b2a2d4fbbd_c.jpg

I know this is a dead thread for the most part, but I still wanted to share some coats within my collection.

Here is the service coat belonging to Glenn Foster Mueller, a former member of the 2nd Raider Battalion. He served at Midway, Guadalcanal, Bougainville and was wounded in action at Iwo Jima (with 1st Battalion, 28th Marines).

hello

p41 hbt jacket belonged to T H Willhite , 3rd raider battalion then 4th marines 6th division

t_h_wi10.jpg
t_h_wi11.jpgt_h_wi12.pngt_h_wi17.pngt_h_wi11.pngt_h_wi13.pngt_h_wi14.pngt_h_wi15.pngt_h_wi16.png

3rd Marine Raider Battalion

FEB ’42 – FEB ’44 (1-2 p57-59)

The 3rd Marine Raider Battalion was the only one of the four Raider Battalions to be organized and trained overseas. Its personnel was made up of volunteers from the various units of the 2nd Marine Brigade on American Samoa, and the 3rd Marine Brigade on Upolu, Western Samoa, plus a nucleus of two officers and 25 enlisted men, each from the 1st and 2nd Marine Raider Battalions.
20 Sep 42 HQ, A and E Companies were organized on Tutuila, American Samoa. B and C Companies were organized on Upolu, Western Samoa. D Company was organized on Uvea Island, Wallis Island Group, a possession of the French Vichy Government. NOTE: Uvea was invaded and occupied on 27 May 42, by the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, Reinforced, the first amphibious landing by Marines on enemy foreign soil in the Pacific during WWII.
18 Dec 42 The machine gun platoon of E Company on detached duty with B Company, on Upolu, Western Samoa, was transferred by Naval aircraft to Tutuila, American Samoa, to join it’s parent company.
19 Dec 42 D Company embarked on board the USS Chestnut (AN-11) at Uvea Island, Wallis Island Group, sailed, and arrived at Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa, on 2l Dec 42, and joined the 3rd Marine Raider Battalion.
23 Dec 42 B and C Companies embarked aboard the Liberty Ship SS Oliver Wendell Holmes at Apia, Western Samoa, sailed arrived at Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa, on 25 Dec 42, and joined the 3rd Marine Raider Battalion.
16 Jan 43 Battalion embarked aboard the USS American Legion (APA-17), at Pago Pago Harbor, Tutuila, American Samoa, sailed, and arrived at Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides Islands, on 25 Jan 43. At Camp Renie.
10-18 Feb 43 Battalion embarked aboard the USS Manley (APD-1), Stringham (APD-6), Humphries (APD-12), Sands (APD-13), Southard (DMS-10), USS Zane (DMS-14) and the USS Trever (DmS-16), and transported to the Tetere area, Guadalcanal, BSI.
20 Feb 43 A Company embarked aboard the USS Sands (APD-13), and sailed. B Company embarked aboard the USS Manley (APD-1), and sailed. C Company embarked aboard the USS Hunphries (APD-17), and sailed. D Company embarked aboard the USS Stringham (APD-6), and sailed.
2l Feb 43 Battalion arrived and occupied Patty Bay area on Pepasala Peninsula, Pavuvu Island, Russell Island Group, British Solomon Islands.
12 Feb to 18 Mar 43 Patrolling main and surrounding islands, and garrison duty.
15 Mar 43 1st Marine Raider Regiment organized on Espiritu Santo Island, New Hebrides Islands. Regiment composed of H&S Company, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Raider Battalions.
19 Mar 43 Battalion embarked aboard APD’s at Paddy Bay, PeDasala Peninsula, Pavuvu Island, Russell Island Group, sailed, arrived on 20 Mar 43 at Lunga Point, Guadalcanal, disembarked, and then embarked aboard the USS President Polk (APA-105) same date.
24 Mar 43 Sailed and arrived at Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides Islands, on 26 Mar 43. Battalion at Camp Renie.
1 May 43 Designation changed from 3rd Marine Raider Battalion, In the Field, to 3rd Raider Battalion, 1st Marine Raider Regiment, 1st Marine Amphibious Corps. A Company designated as I Company. B Company designated as K Company. C Company designated as L Company. D Company designated as M Company. E Company disbanded.
29 May 43 Battalion embarked aboard the MS. Brastagi at Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides Islands, sailed, arrived l Jun 43 at Noumea, New Caledonia, and disembarked. Encamped at Mission St. Louis.
12 Sep 43 Designation changed from 3rd Raider Battalion, 1st Marine Raider Regiment, to 3rd Raider Battalion, 2nd Marine Raider Regiment,. (Provisional), 1st Marine Amphibious Corps.
6 Oct 43 Battalion embarked aboard the USS President Adams (APA-19), at Noumea, New Caledonia, sailed, and disembarked 11 Oct 43, at Kokumbona, Guadalcanal, BSI., and encamped next to the 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, west of the Poho river.
19 Oct 43 Battalion embarked aboard the USS Fuller (APA-7), at Kukumbona, Guadalcanal, BSI, sailed, and arrived at Efate, New Hebrides, Islands, and conducted pre-invasion landing rehearsals from 21-25 Oct 43.
27 Oct 43 Departed Efate, New Hebrides Islands, and arrived at Espiritu Santo Harbor, New Hebrides.
30 Oct 43 Arrived and sailed from Guadalcanal, BSI.
l Nov 43 Assault landing at Cape Torokina, Empress Augusta Bay, Bougainville, BSI. I and K, and one-half of HQ Companies landed, at 0730, on Green Beach #1, on the north side of Puruata Island, and encountered heavy enemy resistance. M Company landed on Green Beach #2, on the main land, pushed through enemy positions to set up a road block on the Mission Trail, about a mile north of the beachhead. L Company landed over Green Beach #2 later in the A.M.
9 Nov 43 Battle of Piva Forks.
13 Nov 43 Battle of Coconut Grove.
19 Nov 43 Battle of the Numa Numa Trail.
About 22-25 Nov 43 K Company conducted a reconnaissance in the vicinity of the Reini- Tehessi river areas, about nine miles east of Cape Torokina, in Empress Augusta Bay.
29 Nov 43 M Company participated with the 1st Parachute Battalion in the Koiara raid battle, in an area about 10 miles east of Cape Torokina in Empress Augusta Bay.
12 Jan 44 Battalion withdrawn from combat zone. Embarked aboard the President Adams (APA-19), at Cape Torokina, Bougainville, BSI., sailed, and on 14 Jan 44, arrived and disembarked at Tassafaronga, Guadalcanal, BSI.
26 Jan 44 Designation of 3rd Raider Battalion, 2nd Marine Raider Regiment, (Provisional), 1st Marine Amphibious Corps, changed to 3rd Raider Battalion, 1st Marine Raider Regiment, 1st Marine Amphibious Corps.
l Feb 44 3rd Raider Battalion designated 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines.

olivier

Jumpin Jack

Intresting chin cup.Air Corps in origin if I recall correctly

I have the same one on a untouched M1C I bought at a flea market nearly 30 yeares ago for $15.It drives the purists nuts when they see it on the set.I get the "they never done that" comment.You can even see the guys initials and 4 dig serial number on the chin strap of the liner.

attachicon.gifUS Helmets 001.jpg

I have spent most of my adult life writing military related books. One of the main points I attempt to drive home is "show me the rule, and I'll show you the verified exception." Jack

Jumpin Jack

In raising the question as to why we find a vast majority of the former Paramarines wearing the 5th Marine Division SSI, the answer is when the Paramarines were disbanded, the vast majority were assigned to the 5th. Due to their training, and gung ho attitude, they suffered very high casualties on Okinawa. I mention this in Vol 2 of Heroes In Our Midst that during WWII, there were approximately 110,000 paratroopers, of which there were only approximately 3,500 Paramarines. This gives you some idea just how rare what you see above is! Jack

I will agree Paramarine items are rare, however I would argue that the Gung-Ho attitude has nothing to do with casualty rate...it's a popular myth. I long heard that Marines were "too eager to die", from before I chose a branch up until present day. I haven't seen our "gung ho" attitude get us a disproportionate amount of casualties compared to Army units in either of my own conflicts.

• 5 weeks later...

they suffered very high casualties on Okinawa.

The above should read Iwo Jima, as the 5th MarDiv's only campaign was Iwo.