Huge U.S.S Chicago/U.S.S Bowditch grouping

Yancy Irwin

he was the fleet heavy weight boxing champ in the early 1930's and served on the Chicago until he left in 1935 (after 6 years in) to box professionally (I have tons of his navy boxing stuff to post still)-i was told he rejoined after pearl harbor but i found a photo of him dated 1940 so im not too sure when he re joined.i do know he stayed in the navy until 1965 when he retired.I have an interest in the battle of Guadalcanal that would have been something if he was still serving on the "Chi" during that battle although im sure he was thankful he didnt have to make that swim or worse....the photo album is the best part of the group-my grandfather took private pictures of alot of famous ships -arizona,indianapolis etc-and boxed in fights on board alot of them(ive got a ton of ships newspaper articles/fight programs for different ships that hosted fights!) keep checking back this thread is gonna be very large- I still cant beleive he kept so much stuff!

37.caption on back by my grandfather reads"a presentation award with the mayor of long beach, California Captain Manley H Simons U.S.S Chicago, and Vice Admiral William H Standley 1931"

post-3084-1319733159.jpg