Huge U.S.S Chicago/U.S.S Bowditch grouping

Yancy Irwin

57.my favorite page from the album my grandfather is in the largest of the cut out close up shots..all pictures are captioned with the sailors names

post-3084-1319906173.jpg

heres a part of the grouping that was amazing to me.I learned something about my family history that neither myself or anyone from my generation had known about my grandfather.I had always been told that he used to get into alot of bar fights and used to box when he was a kid.I never thought much of it until i got this grouping a few months ago and started reading these clippings from the U.S.S Chicago and Navy newspapers-at 6'2 200 pounds my grandfather was big by 1930's standards and i from reading these you can see he boxed as the heavyweight on the U.S.S Chicago and it looks like they were constantly having fights between the U.S.S Chicago and other ships in the fleet-

post-3084-1319906624.jpg

• 6 years later...

Outstanding photo collection! Picture 49 is a battleship in drydock, not Chicago. Picture 55 shows ENS Morton, who was the famous submariner Dudley W. "Mush" Morton, who joined the Silent Service after his time aboard Chicago.