Strange modified DCU top

joefriday22

Hi guys,

I found this strange DCU top in a thrift store about 1 mile from Dam Neck. You mightl know who lives there (SEAL Teams 6/10). The top is a light nylon and certainly looks commercial but I find it strange that a company would put the pockets on the sleeves and add all of the velcro tabs for a civilian.. It has a vent across the back and also in the arm pits.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

Thanks for any info.

Rob

What it looks like to me, is a professionally made modified DCU. There are a couple of companies that offer this service

I am with Shane on this. Looks to me to be a professionally made modified DCU. Interesting piece that I'd LOVE to have in my collection!

Nice item Rob. Have one just like it. Came direct from a SEAL although I'm sure that they are not the only ones using them.

Some of the commercial outfits have been making all kinds of "off the shelf" modified stuff for some time to meet the demand of SOF and other folks.

Tru-Spec, Propper, K-L Manufacturing Company, and Beyond Clothing all produce of the shelf modifications and in many instances offer the buyer the choice of pocket placement, velcro attachments, etc. I'm sure there are other companies doing this as well.

To just add to what Lance mentioned, before the popularity of having modified DCU's took off with the big Army, these type of BDU/DCU's were often referred to as "RAID" style from the pre-GWOT days and manufactured for the various SOF and Tactical departments of law enforcement agencies, etc.. in the US and other friendly nations.

To just add to what Lance mentioned, before the popularity of having modified DCU's took off with the big Army, these type of BDU/DCU's were often referred to as "RAID" style from the pre-GWOT days and manufactured for the various SOF and Tactical departments of law enforcement agencies, etc.. in the US and other friendly nations.

Thank you for the added info.

Which guy above is Lance? Nobody uses real names on here so I'm lost when you mention real names.

Rob

Thank you for the added info.

Which guy above is Lance? Nobody uses real names on here so I'm lost when you mention real names.

Rob

Sorry, good point. I'll let him answer if he desires :lol:

Cheers, Hoovie, aka Mike :thumbsup:

Sorry, good point. I'll let him answer if he desires :lol:

Cheers, Hoovie, aka Mike :thumbsup:

Disregard, a few flips between here and OEF and I figured out who Lance is.. ;)

Rob

Can purpose-made, commercial BDU/DCU jackets really be considered modified? I mean, this thing was originally and specifically manufactured to be like this, and has not been "modified" in any way.

Is a private purchase Propper International Inc. commercial DCU (mil-spec pattern) that's been modified by putting the lower front pockets on the sleeves still considered a modified commercial DCU? Where is the line drawn?

Might be something we want to clear up...

Can purpose-made, commercial BDU/DCU jackets really be considered modified? I mean, this thing was originally and specifically manufactured to be like this, and has not been "modified" in any way.

You are correct. It is a misnomer to call purpose-made off the shelf commercial jackets with alternate pocket placement and velcro modified.

Is a private purchase Propper International Inc. commercial DCU (mil-spec pattern) that's been modified by putting the lower front pockets on the sleeves still considered a modified commercial DCU? Where is the line drawn?

If the Propper jacket was made to the standard specifications of a BDU/DCU and subsequently altered it could be called a modified commercial jacket.

If the Propper jacket was purpose-made with the alternate pocket locations you describe it is not.

Might be something we want to clear up...

My thoughts only ......

Rob, I'm Lance .....

Lance, that's my point. The standard mil-spec, private purchase Propper DCU with relocated pockets is an example of a modified DCU. Purpose-made commercial jackets with alternate pocket placement aren't modified at all.

Perhaps these purpose-made items should be termed "alternate-pattern" commercial jackets? "Raid pattern"? "Special Forces style"? There's gotta be a different term we can use...

Misanthropic_Gods
Lance, that's my point. The standard mil-spec, private purchase Propper DCU with relocated pockets is an example of a modified DCU. Purpose-made commercial jackets with alternate pocket placement aren't modified at all.

Perhaps these purpose-made items should be termed "alternate-pattern" commercial jackets? "Raid pattern"? "Special Forces style"? There's gotta be a different term we can use...

I think "Raid style" is the most common term I have seen for these..problem is, lots of the companies that make these use a standard DCU blouse at the beginning and heavily modify it