Gen. Maxwell Taylor Uniform

aaf8

I'm sure many of you have seen this uniform that was prepaired by a tailor in Germany just after the war. It is currently listed on Ebay and has already reached $1000.00. According to the seller it was not owned nor worn by Taylor. I'm quite shocked that it has reached this price as a store display sample.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=020

NOTE:

See post # 9 for photos and description of the uniform being discussed.

The ebay link is no longer active.

The interesting thing about this M1950 is that the seller indeed states: "A German uniform and insignia company made a display uniform from WWII infomation and made this General Taylor uniform for their company display window, showcasing their talent and production quality to US forces." So, as you mentioned, taken for what is stated, this was never owned or worn by General Taylor. The company probably asked permission to replicate a coat for him, he said "sure," and that was it.

Is the craftsmanship amazing? - certainly. It is a gorgeous coat. I wouldn't go that high in bid for a display model though. To be honest, I would fear this one showing up again in ten years as being a true Talyor coat.

I give props to the seller for his accurate listing of it as it would be very tempting for someone less ethical to have simply listed it as a real general officer Ike. However, it's interesting that he wasn't even in Germany at the time that this was made - the Ike is dated December 1951, and according to the auction, his tour ended in 1951. Thus, this Ike was issued to someone (thus the numbers in it) after December 1951, and then when they discarded their Ike a year or two later, the tailor shop got it and made it into a replica. So, the insignia probably dates from 1952 or even later. Not only was this not worn my General Taylor, he probably never even saw it, and chances are the tailor shop didn't request his permission, so he never even knew about it. Just about as far-removed from the good General as you can possibly get!

Dave

I agree that the seller should be commended for his/her honesty. It's a very nice "looking" Ike, but I simly don't see where one could justify paying over $1000.00 for it. Maybe I'm missing something?

Where is a point of contact between Taylor's bio and the history of this jacket? In the post-WWII Germany he does not serve in 82nd Abn or I have missed something.

pathfinder505

I think I am in the wrong business. I may have to start contracting with a company in Berlin to make General uniforms for Generals that never wore them. I will even give 10% off and you can buy them for only $900. I would be very happy just selling 100 per year. Now I won't have to struggle to pay for my militaria habit anymore. An addicts dream!!!!

Aaaah, finally I can put all my Patton-like uniforms and gear on eBay. Rich times are-a approaching for me. I think a trend has been set now. More and more will you see items like this being made and offered (I so hope I'm wrong now).

First helmets now Ike jackets. I think I have a few wings that might look like several aces I know. You think I can get $500.00 each for them? After all they are exactly like the wings they wore.

Usually when posting a link to ebay, we ask that members also post at least one of the auction pictures and the description. We ask this because, once ebay has removed the auction from its database, the link here becomes unusable.

DESCRIPTION

This is an exceptional one-of-a-kind German Made Eisenhower Jacket made for display representing General Maxwell Taylor in all the insignia of the WWII era. After the WWII, General Taylor was in charge of the Berlin Command from 1949 to 1951. A German uniform and insignia company made a display uniform from WWII infomation and made this General Taylor uniform for their company display window, showcasing their talent and production quality to US forces. The information as we have it from the previous owner is that he bought it from the German company in the 1955 after it had been on display for several years. We think the company was in fact, in Berlin.

The uniform is a M-1950 Eisenhower jacket with rear collar white cotton size tag 38R with an ink stamp of last 5 numbers of serial number 09348 in green artificial silk lining. Lining is fully lined and has no internal pockets. Spec. tag is in right chest pocket and somewhat faded but all clear to read "JACKET, WOOL O.D. M-1950, SIZE 38R, FRANK SALTZ & SONS, 28 DEC. 1951. With many spec numbers and contract ref. numbers. (emailed pics upon request). Pockets flaps have snaps and flaps are silk lined and pocket hem also but not pocket lining. German Company card tag is sewn to right arm cuff and has penciled 3 german words which is very hard to read. Bullion US collar insignia and big size Major General stars are sewn directly into jacket and are backed on underside with khaki cotton twill material. 82nd Airborne patch is one the most beautiful patches we have ever seen. the bullion letters "AIRBORNE" are a little frayed. It is sewn on the black velvet background and red and blue interior fields and also velvet. Bullion Combat Infantry Badge and Paratrooper badge and sleeve overseas strips are seperate badge/patches and are sewn to jacket.CIB has gold ribbon material background and not blue. (may be as made or sun faded from window display. Beautifully detailed and colorful ribbons and sewn directly to jacket with no underlining bars or mounts. All three of the oak leaf clusters on DSC,Silver Star and Bronze Star on different styles and are a study in itself. All the bullion insignia has great muted patina. Jacket is minty with just one very small dusty stain that should brush out. Does not blacklight at all.

Things come up for sale on ebay and elsewhere and there is always the thought if you don't get it, another one will come along another time. Well, we think we can say this is not one of these times. Winner will get rest of info regarding this uniform's previous owner who can better detail the background of this jacket. Please feel free to email questions and request extra pictures. Check our feedback and know this is 100% as presented and not any type on newer production or reproduction. This would be great for museum display, Taylor, IKE jacket and 82nd and 101th Airborne collectors. $12.00 shipped US Prioty mail with full insurance and deilvery confirmation. Winner is responsible for insurance and international customss issues Foreign bidders are welcome but must get ship quote first. Sorry no Paypal please. Good luck!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that no one has noticed that the jacket has a CIB. Tayloy was not authorized this badge -- he had too mich rank! Only Infantry COL's or lower qualified.

I will guarantee he did not wear the CIB later in his service -- Right Chris? Do you want to post your Taylor coat here, or shall we start another string?

post-387-1170469674.jpg

Gil,

Thanks. Instead of my uniform I posted a pic of General Taylor wearing his uniform. As you noted. No CIB. Never has.

However, since this was basically a repo I did not think anything about it. Also he did not have 2 DSCs, so I really never thought this a General Taylor uniform.

General Gavin would of been a better choice for me.

4starchris

I absolutely agree that it looks more like "Jumpin Jim" Gavin's jacket to me too. The decorations seem to be correct, though the USMA register does not list a CIB and only shows 1 Bronze Star. He did command the 505th as COL, but I am not sure if he saw combat in that position.

• 12 years later...
CNY Militaria

To be honest, I would fear this one showing up again in ten years as being a true Talyor coat.

Good prediction! It's now being sold in an upcoming auction as an unnamed WWII GO uniform. The real story associated with this piece is gone, so I'm glad this topic exists!

https://centurionauctions.hibid.com/lot/50589266/wwii-82nd-airborne-major-general-tailored-uniform/?q=&ref=catalog

dsphotohandler.ashx.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Did you guys see what this jacket brought the other day at auction??? Good for the seller....don't know about the buyer!!!!

Bob Hudson

Funny how things come full circle. What did it sell for in the Centurion Auction?

$2,880.00 USD plus a buyer's premium of almost $600 for a total of over $3,400

someone got taken for a ride

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.27.23 AM.png

WWII Major General of the 82nd Airborne, custom tailored Ike jacket and overseas hat. Direct heavy bullion embroidered stars and " US " insignia. British made heavy bullion CIB badge and jump wings. German made multiple pieces construction 82nd Airborne patch, heavy bullion on felt. Ribbon bar directly sewn on the jacket. Officer's overseas hat with two British made stars insignia and German made silver bullion on felt , Airborne patch. Great example of a post 1945, allied occupation of Germany uniform. No visible name inside the tunic or hat. Size: Medium Condition: Very good.

manayunkman

If i was rich I would have paid more.

I think that even from a tailor shop that is a very cool jacket.

Bob Hudson

I remember that auction in 2007.

It sold for 2000 back then.

Here's the 2007 sale:

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.58.15 AM.png

CNY Militaria

Considering it's truly a display piece named to no one, that realistically is valued at the sum of the parts, it could be reproduced using real pieces for a tiny fraction of what the final price was.

Bob Hudson

Considering it's truly a display piece named to no one, that realistically is valued at the sum of the parts, it could be reproduced using real pieces for a tiny fraction of what the final price was.

So they paid about $3,400 for something worth, what, $340 or so?