What do i have? U.S.M.C. Knife

Rick35ovi

Corpsmancollector

Good lord. This is one of the best finds I have ever heard off. EVER.

Definitely go and buy that lottery ticket...

I found my Western under similar circumstances, and without sheath as well. I think I paid $5 or maybe $10 for it. I found the scabbard later on. It fits well and is no doubt a Western scabbard.

w1.JPG

w2.JPG

Awesome Robinb! i went back to the same flea market this weekend trying to find a good leather sheath for mine and found another super nice western knife for 15 bucks though not military marked. It was too nice to pass up!!

congrats on the find - my favorite spot to look when shopping are in the junk boxes - there are still a lot of good finds out there

Was not aware of these! Congrats on your pickup Rick, looks like a good candidate for the safety deposit box!

Edit: Nice impromptu "lightbox" photoshoot as well, very good photos.

Been off the 'net for a spell...glad to see someone has had good luck while I've been away! I don't get around too much looking for knives, but hucksters trying to pass off junk on me as something else is more my norm. Damn nice score!

What a beautiful knife :thumbsup:! I especially love the coloration on the handle scales. I assume they are wood bounded by leather spacers near the guard and pommel ends. What a remarkable score, likely the score of a lifetime!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rick! Thanks to Rick's loyalty to "first come-first served". I now own this piece of Marine Corps history. It looks as nice in hand as it does in the photos. I do however, need an original sheath. Any help in finding one will be greatly appreciated. I would prefer the sheath without the imprints, but of course beggars can't be chooser's.

Thanks for the help.

Ronnie

Here is another paramarine knife photo. I apologize for the stupid water marks; I did not put them on there.

post-70-1319062881.jpg

Here are some photos of my Western Parachutists that will give you a better view of an original sheath. I also included a sterile model of the Parachutist with the typical Western red/black spacers and leather handle.

post-14214-1321783074.jpg

post-14214-1321783101.jpg

Thanks Rick! Thanks to Rick's loyalty to "first come-first served". I now own this piece of Marine Corps history. It looks as nice in hand as it does in the photos. I do however, need an original sheath. Any help in finding one will be greatly appreciated. I would prefer the sheath without the imprints, but of course beggars can't be chooser's.

Thanks for the help.

Ronnie

I am glad you like it Ronnie, it was an honor to own it for the short time that i did!! If i run across a nice sheath i will let you know.

I am glad you like it Ronnie, it was an honor to own it for the short time that i did!! If i run across a nice sheath i will let you know.

Thanks again Rick...you Yankee devil! See you at Shiloh perhaps.

Ronnie

Here are some photos of my Western Parachutists that will give you a better view of an original sheath. I also included a sterile model of the Parachutist with the typical Western red/black spacers and leather handle.

This isn't fair Bill. We all are looking for just one of these knives and you have two of probably the most beautiful USMC Parachutists knives around. These are real beauties. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Bill please tell me about the sterile model...when was it made? Etc.

Thanks.

Ronnie

Bill please tell me about the sterile model...when was it made? Etc.

Thanks.

Ronnie

I wish that I knew for sure. I would assume that it might have been a prototype or factory sample for the Parachutist. I say that because of the use of the prevelant leather handle with red/black spacers. But that is totally an assumption.

I wish that I knew for sure. I would assume that it might have been a prototype or factory sample for the Parachutist. I say that because of the use of the prevelant leather handle with red/black spacers. But that is totally an assumption.

Very nice Bill. Thanks for the info.