Show your Market Garden troopers/displays!

Loek

My dad landed with the 82nd ABN on day one of "Market Garden" but unfortunately all I have uniform-wise is his class A's Ike jacket shirt and pants. I do have one item that I think is cool and that is the map he used during the operation. I have had it framed with UV glass. Dad landed near Grosbeek in a CG4A glider.

Greg

post-118-1179200050.jpg

WOW, I think this is the coolest, nicest piece. This is the part of collecting I think I would really enjoy, I'm still a newbie at all of this, but the map really hit home with me. Speaks volumes of history doesn't it? THANK YOU for sharing.

Brian Blankenburg

I hope somewhere more knowledgeable will chime in...

Hi Johan, Hi Goody,

I'm not sure if I qualify in this category, but Johan's correct - that is indeed a third pattern Medical Pouch. Technically, the first closed with the leather tab; the second, most common pattern used the lacing system for expanding and contracting the Pouch, and the third one used the three press stud system a la USMC Corpsman Pouch.

Here's an illustration showing the comparrison of the numerous patterns of Pouches in my collection:

Medical-Pouch-Comparison.jpg

I hope that helps. :)

Thanks,

Ben.

P.S. Johan, Alain forwarded your email to me with the pictures of that Signal Corps item. I'm not at home right now so I don't have access to my Signal Corps Supply Catalog. I'll be home tomorrow afternoon though, so I'll have a look and email you my comments!

Johan Willaert
P.S. Johan, Alain forwarded your email to me with the pictures of that Signal Corps item. I'm not at home right now so I don't have access to my Signal Corps Supply Catalog. I'll be home tomorrow afternoon though, so I'll have a look and email you my comments!

OK, Thanks Ben!

Horus,

I doubt you can find a serious collector on this forum who hasn't been duped at least once. It happens to the best of us. You mentioned you are new to collecting, and you have an apparent interest in airborne, which is among the riskiest areas to collect as far as US WWII goes, due to its popularity. There's tons of airborne fakes out there, so you'll really need to know your stuff, and the stuff also costs an arm and a leg, so one mistake can be devastating to a collector, both emotionally and financially. I by no means intend to dissuade you from collecting airborne, but if you're looking for something on the safer end, you could get a really long list. You can make a wide variety of setups using standard, unmarked, unmodified GI gear presented and arranged in different ways. When items command less value, there's less need to fake that item. If you're looking for more of a challenge, might I recommend this setup:

3082594840_f9786c47b5.jpg

Just get back on your feet and keep collecting. It sucks being duped, but nobody here will hold it against you.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Two newly published books on the 101st Abn in the M-G (by Peter Hendrikx & Michel De Trez) may be good opportunity to refresh this discussion, because the books mentioned are, willy-nilly, the biggest possible catalog of para (and non-para) M1943 trousers used by the 101st during the Dutch assault.

Two volumes of this Dutch duology are fantastic source to see what was really used. Judging by eye I would say that some 50-60 percent of para M1943 trousers (i.e. with cargo pockets added) was in legtieless variant. What is especially interesting however are the cargo pockets in camouflage. I gues it was the same canvas as used in all the other rigger-made pockets but covered additionally with camo nylon taken from written-off parachute canopies.

Johan Willaert
What is especially interesting however are the cargo pockets in camouflage. I gues it was the same canvas as used in all the other rigger-made pockets but covered additionally with camo nylon taken from written-off parachute canopies.

What pages are those pictures???

D-Day Minus - 17 September 1944

● page 202 -- two 907th GFAB gunners in the foreground

● page 203 -- two another 907th GFAB GIs wearing life vests, the third one most likely

Orange Is The Color of The Day

● page 56 -- Thompson-armed soldier in the centre

● page 75 -- upper photo, a GI drinking (327th GIR)

● page 418 -- two 907th GFAB medics

● page 459 -- upper and middle photos (401st GIR)

● page 466 -- Lt Peter Baranowski (506th PIR)

● page 467 -- Lt Peter Baranowski (506th PIR)

● page 531 – MP guardsman

Wow some Great and Amazing WWII Paratrooper Displays in here just dont know how i missed this one but i did :crying:

Some Excellent Top Quality Paratrooper Collections in here have seen one of them before Amazing Posting in here Guys :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a trooper/display but two 100% real Market Garden survivors!! Which I thought fit in here :)

These M1 Garand bayonets were given to me by a Dutchmen that was a kid living in Son during the war.

After the war he moved quite a few times to finally end up in Belgium and becoming a friend of my grandfather.

He told me he would simply go out in the fields with a couple of friends and come back with more than they could carry within ten minutes.

Most of the stuff that was considered useless was thrown away afterwards or got lost so he ended up with these US bayonets and a couple of British items.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

post-60214-0-29447000-1350320759_thumb.jpg

post-60214-0-95487800-1350320774_thumb.jpg

Too bad at one point somebody decided it would be easier in use with the muzzle loop cut off :( also this one was separated from his scabbard

• 1 year later...

Little glider rider display

I know the pistol belt should go under the life preserver but this was just for display

Note the British shell dressing tied to the left shoulder, issued to many US troops before the Market Garden drop

20igsvr.jpg