Show your Market Garden troopers/displays!

Loek

Hello, I was reading this part of the forum and I read the titles "D-Day displays" and "Battle of the Bulge Displays". Why not a topic with the name "Show your Market Garden troopers/displays"? I'd love to see some nice Market Garden troopers.

On the picture:

Everything is original. The helmet is a standard M1 fixed bail with a "cut-of" ( crying.gif )Westinghouse jump liner. The early M1943 field jacket is just "badged up", but with original patch and recognition flag. The equipment is standard (without "parachutists first aid tie on pack") and he uses a thompson ammo bag as GP bag. The M1943 trousers are not the Rigger modified type but the standard without the extra cargo pockets. I'm still looking for a nice pair of boots for this guy and some "airborne" stuff, like a taylor compass, M8/M6 scabbard with M3 knife.

post-268-1168084551.jpg

• 3 months later...

post-512-1176609530.jpgpost-512-1176609504.jpg

Heres my 1/502nd Market Garden guy. Just picked up the 43 pants at SOS. It was my find of the show. The T-5 Modified harness is all original parts but was rigged up by Bob Bashaw. Hope you enjoy. Paul

• 4 weeks later...
post-933-1179144895.jpgHi, here's my Market Garden mannequin, called 'Zeke'. All original, including the rigger modified M43 trousers. The Garand came from a farm near St Vith, and the Mg42 unearthed near Berlin a few years ago. The 'captured' rangefinder is in desert colours, and is totally complete, apart from a couple of sighting tools.

Don't mean to be critical but the patch on your uniform is a reproduction one, and why is the M-3 knife hanging from the musett bag strap? In real life I doubt they would have down this, as during combat situations they would have dropped their packs? Just my observations Paul

Greg Sebring

My dad landed with the 82nd ABN on day one of "Market Garden" but unfortunately all I have uniform-wise is his class A's Ike jacket shirt and pants. I do have one item that I think is cool and that is the map he used during the operation. I have had it framed with UV glass. Dad landed near Grosbeek in a CG4A glider.

Greg

post-118-1179200050.jpg

post-933-1179230199.jpgWhat tells you the patch is a repro? You are the first to think this, so Im intrigued?

The M3 scabbard was placed in this upside down position as when I got it it had no other fixing, as the belt fixing had been removed, and, as the knife had been heavily modified any way, this seemed the logical place to put it. It is quite secure in the scabbard. It was purchased from an airborne veteran some time ago, so I am happy with this configuration. By the way, here are some more pics.

Johan Willaert
The M3 scabbard was placed in this upside down position as when I got it it had no other fixing, as the belt fixing had been removed,

Unmodified M8 Scabbards did NOT have a M1910 Style Wire Attaching hook...

The patch is a known reproduction made by At The Front. If you bought it as original you have been duped. In the many pictures I have looked at I have never seen a M-3 knife worn this way.That looks to be more of a Vietnam era trend in gear. Also do you have a first aid web pouch on the right shoulder? That would not be proper either as that is the shooting shoulder, also the canteen inthe front would not have been practical either if you needed to low crawl or belly crawl. Would love to see the pockets on the pants. other than the patch looks good. Paul

Blimey, didn't realise it was going to get such a slagging off.

The M8 scabbard didnt have any belt fixings, so as I stated, apart from sticking it in his boot, there is nowhere else to put it.

The chincup is an early chamois lined one, but the chamois has gone dry and shrunk, hence the distorted chincup.

It's just a mannequin, not a historical document.The configuration's my own interpretation, and mostly due to a lack of space on the belt, so in my opinion not so important. He's not supposed to be crawling on his belly, or ever going to shoot again. For me, as a display, Im happy as it is.Whatever opinions the 'purists' have, thanks for telling me about the patch, I had no idea it was a repro, and as such i will do some more delving. Yep, photoshop, with a sepia tint, gave the image an old look.

post-933-1179320381.jpg

Here is a shot of the trousers. I know, the first thing you're going to say, 'ooh, the pocket flaps are not slanted...'.

By the way, thanks for the info on the patch, I have indeed been duped, just seen it on their site.

Kinda typical, cost me a fortune, and bought from a dealer.

General Apathy

Hi Horus, thanks for adding your post to the site, there's not one person on here that can say they have never made a mistake with something they bought, or displayed, or misidentified.

So withdraw, regroup and re-attack, come back stronger.

Cheers ( Lewis )

post-933-1179411954.jpg

Thanks, wise advice. But, to be honest, Im new here, and although certain forums have a negative reputation at times, I had hoped that this one would not follow suit. A discussion forum is just that, discussion. Whilst I appreciate I have learnt something about my 'crap' display, where was the discussion, or indeed, an explanation on the differences in type, ie. the trousers. Something other than 'it's repro' 'wrong', or words to that effect would have been appreciated, or maybe a bit of tact would have softened the blow of what obviously cost me a fortune.

I had hoped that this would open up lines of communication, and information, of a friendly, banter type nature, with like minded individuals, who appreciate military history, but realise, Im wrong.

I shall now take solace in the other 14 mannequins (which are possibly crap, repro, or wrongly affixed), and keep myself to myself.

Ive got a couple of undersea Shermans and a field gun lined up for a future expedition, but no doubt they will be something wrong there as well.

As requested, here is a pic of my 'repro' airborne liner, as shown previously. im not trying to 'hide' the buckles, that's just the way it turned out. It's what you would call 'mint'.

Johan Willaert

Sorry, but you avoided a discussion with your opening statement : "Hi, here's my Market Garden mannequin, called 'Zeke'. All original, including the rigger modified M43 trousers. "

The M43 trousers converted for the Korean War have, in addition to rather square leg pockets, small flaps with press studs added to the watch pocket and rear hip pockets. The leg straps are also typical to the period.

And there's just no soft way to say the stuff's not correct.....

Sometimes, it is the way you bring the bad news that makes a difference.

Instead of giving the impression as a pack of hungry vultures is attacking a dying deer, one can use some tact.

Just my impression and 2 (Euro)cents.

Erwin

Horus,

I think that this is utterly ridiclous. It's called constructive critisim. And with constructive critisim you can learn from it and fix or alter a problem so it becomes better. I can easily say thats the best looking Market Garden mannequin I have ever seen. But to do this I would be lying, and you would not be learning. I think if people held back on the fact the items pictured are not 100% WW2 you would not learn from it. Obviously you need some help with the learning part as the patch on the jacket is a complete fake and you thought it was original. The problem with colletors these days is they do not get research material before they jump into collecting. Then when somebody calls them on it they get defensive. And also I did say to you besides the patch it looked good. Then you posted the other photo's and I found things that do not appear correct, I again offered my opinion on that and you again closed out what was being said, with a full explaniation of why the items were not being properly displayed. I quote you " the mannequin will not be shooting or low crawling again", no explaination as to my observations of the gear being worn wrong . Instead, a reply of well thats the way I wanted it displayed. I was just making points as to why it appeared wrong. If you want to put a pink wig on it, it's yours to do what you want with it. But it doesn't change the fact it's wrong. If you can't take the critisim of collectors all over the world then you shouldn't post. I post items here so others can learn and so I can learn. Any comments on my Market Garden Mannequin Horus? Paul

No, it looks awesome. But to be honest, Id be happy whatever level of collector, or item is shown. I think it's the act of sharing information, and images, and hopefully stories that is important in a discussion. Ok, some of my stuff is wrong, but I only see 3 mannequins here, out of a world wide forum and a display, is still a display. I appreciate your comments, however, and am happy to have found out about my own, although Im gutted it is so wrong.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards.