Revolutionary War Uniform

Garandomatic

I don't reenact, but am a teacher, and have wanted to start a Revolutionary War uniform for a while. Found out today that the first man on my family farm back in 1813 was a son to a Revolutionary War soldier that was a frontier ranger. My ancestor's uncle was also in the War, and served as a 1st Lieutenant in a Pennsylvania outfit that I cannot ID yet. His officers' names are on the other computer... Kinda hit a roadblack there, but alas.

It's got me inspired. I want to piece one together over the next couple of months or years and teach with it.

Anybody got some good resources to look up PA outfits and officers?

Any dealers that make Revolutionary stuff? Let me know, better yet, PM me.

I couldn't decide on what to wear for Halloween, so I was actually looking at Revolutionary War uniforms this morning! :lol: (So much less cliche, especially out here in CA, than Civil War reenactors...) ;) ;)

Have you tried the DAR website? I started pulling the string on my wife's family and found bunches of her ancestors who fought in the Revolution in Pennsylvania. They have a LOT of resources, as do the Sons of the American Revolution (I found more on the DAR website though).

Dave

Firstsonsofthenation

I would contact the Brigade of the American Revolution google it

There is also the Northwest Territory Alliance google it

Good resources.

Depeding on how accurate you want he uniforms you can make them after much research or buy something form online catalogues that make you look period but not always completely accurate. You have to identify the uint first, then you should have luck putting together the right impression.

Good luck

Putting together a Revolutionary War uniform even one that is not quite right will cost. Each state had lots of different style uniforms. A Militia uniform which is made up of civilian clothing will be easier. Starting from the ground up. Buckle type shoes, Stockings of wool or leggings of canvas or leather. Leg ties for the leggings. Trousers or Knee breeches. A Waistcoat over a Long shirt. A sleeved waistcoat, overtop of this would have been a Wagoneer's Frock or a Fringed Hunting frock, and to top it off a hat. There are many different styles to choose from.

I have some extra clothing. Send me a PM if interested.

Google " The Sutler of Mount Misery" or "G Gedney Godwin"

They have been around for years and you will be able to see a number of different patterns and styles there.

I don't know about their quality. You can also find used reenanctor gear on ebay under militaria, rev war, reproduction

The Brigade of the American Revolution used to have a 'sutlers' section. I'd look there too.

regards,

Steve T

Putting together a Revolutionary War uniform even one that is not quite right will cost. Each state had lots of different style uniforms. A Militia uniform which is made up of civilian clothing will be easier. Starting from the ground up. Buckle type shoes, Stockings of wool or leggings of canvas or leather. Leg ties for the leggings. Trousers or Knee breeches. A Waistcoat over a Long shirt. A sleeved waistcoat, overtop of this would have been a Wagoneer's Frock or a Fringed Hunting frock, and to top it off a hat. There are many different styles to choose from.

I have some extra clothing. Send me a PM if interested.

These are probably one of the best if not the best and most authentic group of Rev War Reenactors on the East Coat. The great thing about doing Hardcore/Authentic Rev War is that you make all your own Uniforms.

Here they are:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Model-Compan...7733024?sk=wall

http://www.thecorpsofsappersandminers.org/Home.html

They can get you set up on the correct materials, patterns, and if you do not think you are up to the sewing, tailors. They also help you get some of the best footwear, hats, field gear and the like available on the market for a very reasonable price.

-Josh

OOOPS....Sorry 2Dogs..didn't mean to step on your post.

No problem, I know we are all trying to help. With so much info the poor guy won't know if he's coming or going.

Looks like there's a bunch of help out there! This will be a gradual thing, I am afraid. If extra money keeps coming in, I might start building my rifle. Been wanting to do that for a long time, and the Tracks of the Wolf parts look nice. I have two 150 year old cap and ball rifles that came from my mom's father's side of the family that are made in very old patterns. One is a spitting image of a late 1700s flintlock as far as its overall style is concerned. I have some confidence that I can cut my own stock, probably out of walnut, and I can cast my own hardware in bronze. If I can just get their barrel, tang, trigger, lock, and sights, I think I'd be in business! For now, I reckon a goal (wife keeps asking me what I want for my birthday and Christmas...!) will be a regimental coat. I know they can get pretty steep... I see one on ebay in several sizes, wonder how they would work? If it was half decent, I'd jump.

Looks like there's a bunch of help out there! This will be a gradual thing, I am afraid. If extra money keeps coming in, I might start building my rifle. Been wanting to do that for a long time, and the Tracks of the Wolf parts look nice. I have two 150 year old cap and ball rifles that came from my mom's father's side of the family that are made in very old patterns. One is a spitting image of a late 1700s flintlock as far as its overall style is concerned. I have some confidence that I can cut my own stock, probably out of walnut, and I can cast my own hardware in bronze. If I can just get their barrel, tang, trigger, lock, and sights, I think I'd be in business! For now, I reckon a goal (wife keeps asking me what I want for my birthday and Christmas...!) will be a regimental coat. I know they can get pretty steep... I see one on ebay in several sizes, wonder how they would work? If it was half decent, I'd jump.

Several things to consider here. Check out the old Family Bible to see if anyone had filled in the Family Tree section; with any kind of lick they did, and with better luck, you can read the entries and they are correct. Now you can research your ancestor at several places, local reenacting groups, the Army or at the USA website, Roots.com or similar (Traditional Disclaimer here) when they hold their 'free search your family tree' weekends. What you find out at these and other resources will take care of the uniform issues. Before you build a flintlock, find someone that has one, and see if they will teach you how to fire one. There is an art to making 3+ rounds go down range- I could never master it, but have friends that had The Knack. The reason for learning to fire one is simple, after building one, you know what's next! Advice for kit builders- 1. make sure there's no issues with making or possessing a black powder firearm where you live, 2. you have a source of real Black Powder- BP substitutes won't work on a flinter, and 3. check the various internet boards to see about kit quality, there are a lot of kits that do not have lock parts tempered correctly.

Tom

If the coat you see on ebay is the one for $199 I would stay away from it. The buttons are wrong and it has epulates.

If you can find Uniforms of the American Revolution you will have some great ideas of how to dress.

Bummer. I hoped it'd fly for that price. I really don't think I have the dough for anything near correct, unfortunately. Probably ought to put the money to better use elsewhere for as much as I'd wear it, you know?

Flintlock might happen, though. I know of a guy that built one, and there is a blackpowder gunsmith in the area.

Bummer. I hoped it'd fly for that price. I really don't think I have the dough for anything near correct, unfortunately. Probably ought to put the money to better use elsewhere for as much as I'd wear it, you know?

Flintlock might happen, though. I know of a guy that built one, and there is a blackpowder gunsmith in the area.

As I posted above, if you are a competent sewer, or are willing to learn, you can make all of your own uniforms. Not only will these be cheaper(they will only cost the cost of the high quality wool used to manufacture the garment) but will be more authentic because they will be 100% handsewn. If you contact the units I posted above they will help lead you to where is the best place to get the pattern and the materials for uniform, the best place to gets shoes, the best place to get the basic field-gear, and probably the most authentic supplier/defarber of the musket/rifle you are looking for.

-Josh

Garandomatic;

Having done Rev War since before I was born, (Im serious my mom and dad were actively participating while mom was pregnant with me) I can tell you it is NOT a cheap hobby to do. I used to be a Member of the NWTA, North West Territory Alliance, when I lived in Illinois, but since I moved out east I've fallen away from it. But you can go cheap on some stuff and get away with it. For shoes, plain lace up black dress shoes. Since I did British Cavalry we actually took old East German jackboots, and had then converted to look like the proper boots.

Dixie Gun Works is where my dad and I have gotten our Brown Bess muskets from. the Pedersoli's (a curent maker from Italy) are the best. If you are doing a colonial Impression the French Charleville would be the correct musket to use.

G Gedney Godwin (I see someone has posted the other nicknames) is the place to go for most of the equipment. Also look at Jas Townsend and Sons and the Smoke and Fire Company, which you can find links to on the NWTA website.