Nit picking MP's

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann

I must share this one with you guys! The other day I was visiting my wife's parents in the King Wis. Veterans Home when we meet another oldtimer with this story and it is 100% true. On a hot day in Paris June 1945 this fellow was coming out of a bar with the top button of his IKE jacket unbuttoned. He said he always had trouble buttoning that top button, which may have been a problem with those jackets? Anyway just as he got on the sidewalk an MP demanded his pass and kept it saying that he was out of uniform and wrote him up for a courtmarshal offence which the MP then demanded he sign admitting his guilt. When my friend balked the MP was joined by four more MP's and then said that he would be shiped back to the states and charged with treason which could put him in front of a firing squad! My friend was not willing to take that chance and signed. Just then a sgt. from an artillery unit was busted for being out of uniform when as he was passing by he took off his cap and wiped the sweat from his forehead. He also quickly signed when threatened! My friend still has the charges document and had it laminated to show people like me. I guess the charges where dropped since his medals group includes a named army Good Conduct medal. Didn't the MP's have anything better to do? Fred

I must share this one with you guys! The other day I was visiting my wife's parents in the King Wis. Veterans Home when we meet another oldtimer with this story and it is 100% true. On a hot day in Paris June 1945 this fellow was coming out of a bar with the top button of his IKE jacket unbuttoned. He said he always had trouble buttoning that top button, which may have been a problem with those jackets? Anyway just as he got on the sidewalk an MP demanded his pass and kept it saying that he was out of uniform and wrote him up for a courtmarshal offence which the MP then demanded he sign admitting his guilt. When my friend balked the MP was joined by four more MP's and then said that he would be shiped back to the states and charged with treason which could put him in front of a firing squad! My friend was not willing to take that chance and signed. Just then a sgt. from an artillery unit was busted for being out of uniform when as he was passing by he took off his cap and wiped the sweat from his forehead. He also quickly signed when threatened! My friend still has the charges document and had it laminated to show people like me. I guess the charges where dropped since his medals group includes a named army Good Conduct medal. Didn't the MP's have anything better to do? Fred

There are always chickens*** in every unit.

Here we go again, MP's are evil, the Army's Goon Squad, got nothing better to do than roust troops having a good time, blah blah blah crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

No matter where you go, people always whine about MP's or for that matter Civilian Police officers, "That cop should be spending his time catching real criminals than poor old me who was doing 20 over the speed limit." Maybe if you didnt break the law, you wouldnt be bothered by them.

Being an MP myself, I feel I must stand up for my brethern.

MP's are Charged with one of the toughest jobs in the army, policing people who are trained to kill. A segment of society that at the time drank alcohol heavily.

Enforcing Military Law and regulations is always seen as Chickens**t by certain people, and you can never change their opinions. Yet enforcing the law is not just the only thing MP's do, Convoy/ route security, rear era security, Dignitary protection and others. After all, MP's protected Eisenhower during the War.

Too many people try to bowl over a MP because they are a higher rank than the MP. When an MP gives an order, he has the authority of senior commander of that area more than likely one level of General of another. Dont confuse your rank with my authority is an oft qouted and correct statement.

Now to your story, I doubt that he would have been shipped back and shot, but he was out of uniform and was ordered to get back into uniform. I would believe that the MP's were issuing him a Ticket/ Fine for being out of uniform, which would not have gone on his record as punishment. Im pretty sure everyone has got an MP/ SP story out there.

Alright, alright, I have to put my 2 cents worth in. First of all let me say that I have the upmost respect for police officers and MP's. They are tasked to do jobs that are to put it mildly "hazardous" on a regular basis. We all have stories of officers that seemed to be over zealous but, when it comes down to it who would you want protecting you and your family; an officer that is gung ho and doesn't take any crap or one that lets things slide. I for one want the gung ho one. If they want to search my vehicle, tell me to get back into regulation, or stop me at the gate to check for sobriety then fine I will gladly oblidge and thank them because I know they are doing their job and keeping me safe. Unfortunately it is when we need them the most that we (possibly) appreciate them. Thanks to all you MP's/SP's out there that keep us safe. Be proactive in your jobs, don't allow slacking among yourselves or anyone else and if they do slack whoop their a** back into shape. Oh and if any of my troops ever gives you crap let me know.

V/r

A greatful First Shirt :P