Named Cattaraugus 225Q

andrei1774

Hi,

recently I got this knife from Gun show. Very nice blade , but handle leather is rough. Usual knife, accept the named sheath (I saw before) and stamped name on the pommel (I didn't see it before). Researching the name of the knife shows , that Jack Mead was 2nd Lieutenant and served 301st Bombardment Group Heavy Flying Fortresses B-17, 352 Squadron.

I would appreciate for any your opinions and additional info about Jack Mead and 352 Squadron.

post-48452-1318727661.jpg

I am really sure , that's why I am asking help from you guys :think:

Sadly, unless you have any history that came with the knife, you will never know which Jack Mead owned it.

It is still a great looking knife.

Justin

Still-A-Marine

Actually the leather on the handle looks just about right to me. The handles were roughed during production on purpose. I believe this was for better grip.

Bill

Actually the leather on the handle looks just about right to me. The handles were roughed during production on purpose. I believe this was for better grip.

Bill

Bill,

That would be correct. The center 1/3 of the handle was "roughed-up" for a better grip. This was a WORKING knife, not a fighting knife.

Still-A-Marine
Bill,

That would be correct. The center 1/3 of the handle was "roughed-up" for a better grip. This was a WORKING knife, not a fighting knife.

I think the 225Q was a fighting knife just as much as any M3 or Ka-Bar. Almost all the fighting knives were also used as utility knives. There are some exceptions like the Raider Stiletto.

Frank Trzaska has done an excellent job of disproving the idea of these being quartermaster personnel knives. They were general issue along with the other hunting knives.

Bill

Frank Trzaska has done an excellent job of disproving the idea of these being quartermaster personnel knives. They were general issue along with the other hunting knives.

Bill

Bill,

I have no doubt that Frank's feelings about this knife are correct.

My opinion is based on the structure of the knife, and the servicemen I've known that used it during the war. When it comes to Militaria, I've learned never to doubt anything.

I believe the American serviceman will ALWAYS elevate the term "bandaids and bubblegum" to new heights! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...