Vanguard Senior Pilot

John Cooper

Here is a beautiful set of wings that were looking for a good home but nobody seem to want them :( So I pulled the trigger and here they are. As you have seen in the past Vanguard used the LGB pattern for there wings. Not 100% sure if Balfour actually produced them for Vanguard or not.

Cheers

John

post-227-1318720644.jpg

As you can see from this final photo the have short posts that are soldiered on by the appearence of the pool below the nail head. Early post war

:dunno:

post-227-1318720823.jpg

Nice wings!

The whole Vanguard, block letter discussion is an interesting one.

There was an attempt in the wing section, a few months ago, to get a discussion

going on the topic, but it never really took off.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...amp;hl=vanguard

Maybe now is a better time with the addition of these wings?

Best, John

Thanks for posting - was this from Ebay if so many bidders?

John

Yes, good old eBay and there was a bit of competition for this set (17 bids).

My gut feeling is they are late WW2 to KW, probably later in that period rather than earlier. I've seen a few block letter marked Navigator wings recently, so I even had the thought a little "stash" is being sold off. Whatever the case, I think they are nice variants to have.

Regards

Mike

Here is an interesting pic that I pulled from an ebay listing. It is a post WWII empty box,

that held an aircrew wing.

It is interesting how the names of the different wing companies tie together...

Here, Amcraft and Vanguard.

Best, John

post-12439-1318952704.jpg

Here is an interesting pic that I pulled from an ebay listing. It is a post WWII empty box,

Best, John

I believe that Vanguard was a retail military supply company and was not one that actually directly manufactured its own insignia. IMHO, Vanguard was another one of those retail companies that more than likely simply bought most of its insignia wholesale from other companies (ie AMCRAFT and LGB). For example, this is clearly an LGB pattern wing, but hallmarked VANGUARD. NY.

post-1519-1318960375.jpg

Best, John

Thanks John - I have not seen anything until now to support the theory but the photo you posted tips the scales IMHO. Additionally thanks for linking the other thread.

Cheers

John

I believe that Vanguard was a retail military supply company and was not one that actually directly manufactured its own insignia. IMHO, Vanguard was another one of those retail companies that more than likely simply bought most of its insignia wholesale from other companies (ie AMCRAFT and LGB). For example, this is clearly an LGB pattern wing, but hallmarked VANGUARD. NY.

Patrick what does your experince tell you about the likely date of this wing?

John

Hi Patrick,

That's an interesting pic! Do you own the badge? If so, which came first, the maker mark or the rivets? Based on your belief, and I'm not questioning it, it should be the rivets first. Why someone from Vanguard would try and punch a marking over a (hard) rivet is beyond me though!

Regards

Mike

Hi Patrick,

That's an interesting pic! Do you own the badge? If so, which came first, the maker mark or the rivets? Based on your belief, and I'm not questioning it, it should be the rivets first. Why someone from Vanguard would try and punch a marking over a (hard) rivet is beyond me though!

Regards

Mike

John: IMHO, this is a postwar-KW period piece. I have a photo of a USAF flight surgeon wearing a very similar pair of wings.

Mike: Yes, I have the wings. The rivets are over the hallmark. I expect that the wing was marked when it was first struck.

Patrick

post-1519-1319043427.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
John: IMHO, this is a postwar-KW period piece. I have a photo of a USAF flight surgeon wearing a very similar pair of wings.

Mike: Yes, I have the wings. The rivets are over the hallmark. I expect that the wing was marked when it was first struck.

Patrick

Quick off-topic comment/question: I've never seen the US collars worn below the collar notch on the service coat. Screw-up or did USAF actually wear them here at one point? I'm betting direct-commission MD not knowing where they went.

post-1519-1319043427.jpg