172nd inf. 43rd div. uniform and small grouping

brad k

this is one of my favorite uniforms, a realy nice untouched uniform, the blue disc's are the very thin type that the guys are all wearing in tpost-195-1195857021.jpghe pictures in the camp shelby book.

post-195-1195857072.jpg

post-195-1195857325.jpg

Would you mind posting a close up of the top left ribbon that is partly obscured by the lapel? I want to compare it with this ribbon I have been trying to identify:

112005435-L.jpg

Brad,

If possible, could you post the Camp Shelby picture you mention that shows the men wearing the collar discs with the blue backing. As I understand it, the blue backing came much later in the 60s, so I'd be interested to see if they were in use prior.

Beau

I will see what I can do in a few days, the blue disc's are not the same as you are thinking, they are very thin. I also have some red ones on a set of screw back 197th artillery (N.H. national guard) from about the same time, probably about 1942. I believe the later style came into more general use in the early '50's for some units as well as the blue shoulder cord and then for all infantry in the early '60's, I have one metal one with a blue enamel rim probably from the korean war.

I will see what I can do in a few days, the blue disc's are not the same as you are thinking, they are very thin. I also have some red ones on a set of screw back 197th artillery (N.H. national guard) from about the same time, probably about 1942. I believe the later style came into more general use in the early '50's for some units as well as the blue shoulder cord and then for all infantry in the early '60's, I have one metal one with a blue enamel rim probably from the korean war.

The blue distinctive items for Infantry only were adopted in about 1951, including collar disc backings and the shoulder cord. No other branch of the Army is supposed to be wearing them (even though creative manufacturers and Army-Navy stores made and sold them to unsuspecting soldiers. Backing disks came and went periodically for Infantry and other branches since after the WW1 occupation period, but they were always unofficial and only locally authorized. During the WW1 occupation of Germany, US soldiers did wear officially sanctioned (at least by the American Forces in Germany) cloth branch colored collar disc backings.

I took some more pictures today, the camp shelby book is for the 172nd and dated 1942, after looking at it again there are not alot of the guys wearing the disc's, it is random troughout the regiment. i've added a picture of the 197th disc's because they are the same type and period but have nothing to do with the first group.post-195-1196017983.jpg

• 12 years later...