1944 Man of the Year Bronze Star / Purple Heart

Jim Baker

Jim, Hobart Drew is my grandfather. Not only was he a hero during the war, he was a hero off the battlefield. When my father's dad tragically died when he was 7 during a construction accident, he accepted him and his two siblings as his own and raised them like they were his own. I was very glad to see that his dedication to this country is being remembered. Thank You, Mark Van Orden

Hi Mark,

Thanks for writing. Your grandfather is well remembered by me and all who read this post. I would be very interested to know more about him or if you have any other photos of him. Please feel free to PM me if you like. You may also feel free to post any other information about him you feel comfortable with here.

I'm very glad to know he was a good guy after the war. So many times we collectors never really "know" the people who's items we collect. Often they are only medals or certificates awarded to men who have died long ago. We wonder what they were like before and after their service. The little bit of information you just provided makes this little grouping even more special to me.

Merry Christmas,

Jim

I thought I would add this since it's part of Drew's story. This is the DSC citation for Jimmie Leach. Drew was driving one of the vehicles destroyed that day and was wounded as a result.

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Captain (Infantry) James H. Leach (ASN: 0-1012388), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with Company B, 37th Tank Battalion, 4th Armored Division, in action against enemy forces on 26 December 1944, during the Ardennes Offensive. On that date, Captain Leach led his company in an assault on the strongly defended town of Bigonville, Luxembourg. Early in the attack two of the Captain's tanks were destroyed, and he suffered a painful head wound; but despite this, he courageously continued on, inspiring his men by his fearless leadership. Later in the fight Captain Leach was again wounded, but he continued to lead and direct the attack with such ferocity that the enemy was completely defeated and the town secured. The conspicuous heroism of Captain Leach, and his fearless, inspiring leadership and loyal devotion to duty exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself, the 4th Armored Division, and the United States Army.

• 7 years later...

What an awesome story. Hobie (Hobart) is my grandfather also. He married my mother's mother in About 1950. My mother says she remembers his eyes and he loved kids. She said she remembers sitting on his lap blowing a horn when he married her mother. My mother was about 7 at that time. I never met him but today I was asking my mother about him and looked him up and found that you have his medals. Thank you so much for preserving them.  I will try and find all the info I can get out of my mother.  My mothers mom married Hobart and her two brothers married Hobarts sisters. Isn't that crazy.  I asked my mom about Mark Van Orden and sure enough she is friends with some of the Van Ordens on Facebook.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, Robbiesworld said:

What an awesome story. Hobie (Hobart) is my grandfather also. He married my mother's mother in About 1950. My mother says she remembers his eyes and he loved kids. She said she remembers sitting on his lap blowing a horn when he married her mother. My mother was about 7 at that time. I never met him but today I was asking my mother about him and looked him up and found that you have his medals. Thank you so much for preserving them.  I will try and find all the info I can get out of my mother.  My mothers mom married Hobart and her two brothers married Hobarts sisters. Isn't that crazy.  I asked my mom about Mark Van Orden and sure enough she is friends with some of the Van Ordens on Facebook.

Hi Robbie,

Sorry I missed this and I hope you see this response.  I love getting this kind of info and would love hearing anything else you have to share.  Thanks so much for posting and I hope to hear from you.

1 hour ago, Jim Baker said:

Hi Robbie,

Sorry I missed this and I hope you see this response.  I love getting this kind of info and would love hearing anything else you have to share.  Thanks so much for posting and I hope to hear from you.

Jim!!!!!! I haven't seen you around in a LONG time, glad you're back...I've been running out of sardonic kinsmen

On 10/21/2020 at 8:23 PM, Brig said:

Jim!!!!!! I haven't seen you around in a LONG time, glad you're back...I've been running out of sardonic kinsmen

Jim 

same here ! Hope you are well ! 
Collecting at all ?

Hey guys, how's it going.  Good to hear from you both.  I check in now and then but haven't posted much.  Still collect, but mainly just the armor and TD patches.  I also like CIB's and maneuvers items.  So, just hanging out and trying to survive this horrible year.  How have you all been doing?

4 hours ago, Jim Baker said:

Hey guys, how's it going.  Good to hear from you both.  I check in now and then but haven't posted much.  Still collect, but mainly just the armor and TD patches.  I also like CIB's and maneuvers items.  So, just hanging out and trying to survive this horrible year.  How have you all been doing?

Doing good ! Wanting this 2020 gone !

17 hours ago, scottplen said:

Doing good ! Wanting this 2020 gone !

I hear that.  And everything that goes with it.  I'm already prepping for next spring.

Brian Dentino

I too am one that is glad to see you back around these parts my old friend!  Heck, you are the one that turned me on to this forum in its formative years when I followed you from the "bad guys" to the good side of collecting.  Good to hear you are well!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Brian,

So how have you been?  Well I hope.  Crazy how long it's been since we joined this forum.  Lots of changes, in the forum and in life.  I've never really regretted coming over from the dark side.  Much nicer people over here.  😄

Brian Dentino
10 hours ago, Jim Baker said:

Hi Brian,

So how have you been?  Well I hope.  Crazy how long it's been since we joined this forum.  Lots of changes, in the forum and in life.  I've never really regretted coming over from the dark side.  Much nicer people over here.  😄

Doing well....and couldn't agree with you more.  Much friendlier neighborhood here!