Navy Yacht Clubs, Seas and Station patches

Patchcollector

Patchcollector
HEHEEH That's just good fun :rolleyes: Which brings up an interisting thing about Crossing The Line. The first time I went across, we did not know we were going. We just sort of got orders due to some incident in the south and were diverted from where we were originally going. But, when we had the Poly Wog Queen contest, All sorts of "Things not issued in a Male Seabag" showed up :think: May be those guys would have worn one of those "Party Suits" if thsy thought they could get away with walking down the street in one :unsure:

Seriously though, the explination makes complete sense. I had just never heard/seen one, so had no idea what they were. I guess just like Crossing The Line for the Navy/MC, Party Suits are an Air Force thing. neat patches though

Steve Hesson

Yeah man,it's all good clean fun,being an Air Force guy,I just had to put my two cents in,even though I never had a party suit myself. :lol:

And What the h*ll is that sailor doing???? :w00t:

Well, I never was in the Wog Queen contest either, but did Kiss the Royal Babys Belly :w00t:

Patchcollector
Well, I never was in the Wog Queen contest either, but did Kiss the Royal Babys Belly :w00t:

So that's what he is doing,that is one big baby :rolleyes: That poor guy looks like he has crap smeared all over him,

and he's wearing his underwear outside of his pants!! :w00t:

So that's what he is doing,that is one big baby :rolleyes: That poor guy looks like he has crap smeared all over him,

and he's wearing his underwear outside of his pants!! :w00t:

Yes, the Royal Baby was the fattest Shellback. yes, skivvies were worn on the out side, all other clothing was to be worn inside out. Different crossings had different rules. Yes, the Baby has much grease smeared all over his belly, and the wog is covered in about a weeks worth of galley garbage, old grease and assorted other "Stuff". Fun times. My son just informed me that one of the "training" lectures he had to give was "Why Crossing The Line Ceromoneys were a bad thing". Said he couldn't really think of anything, so just repeated the party line for 30 minutes. He was a shore duty type, nothing better to do I guess. Always semed like a waste of an enlistment to me.

Steve Hesson

Patchcollector
Yes, the Royal Baby was the fattest Shellback. yes, skivvies were worn on the out side, all other clothing was to be worn inside out. Different crossings had different rules. Yes, the Baby has much grease smeared all over his belly, and the wog is covered in about a weeks worth of galley garbage, old grease and assorted other "Stuff". Fun times. My son just informed me that one of the "training" lectures he had to give was "Why Crossing The Line Ceromoneys were a bad thing". Said he couldn't really think of anything, so just repeated the party line for 30 minutes. He was a shore duty type, nothing better to do I guess. Always semed like a waste of an enlistment to me.

Steve Hesson

Oh...man....a weeks worth of galley garbage, old grease and assorted other "Stuff"...I'm not gonna ask what the other "stuff" was,but I can guess... :pinch:

• 1 year later...

Great collection of Yacht patches.I'll have to post some of mine, when I figure out my camera and when I figure out where to crop/size my images.The Easter-Med made by Ace is beautiful, even tho I'm a Vietnam collector.

Cool thread! Here is my variant of the Gulf of Mexico patch, which reads Flight Instructor on bottom.

500_mi10.jpg

I have read somewhere that the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club was the nickname of the Seventh Fleet. But also that it was worn by pilots who had to eject over the Tonkin Gulf; is there any truth to that?

Also, what does the bottom red stripe mean? It appears quite rarely on the classic patch design, is it for a second Westpac cruise?

post-110.jpg

Now after the Vietnam war,other Naval units picked up on the "Yacht Club" theme,so here are some ones from other parts of the world.Some are personalized to individual ships.First up,a Persian Gulf Yacht Club for the Cruiser Vincennes.

That patch was designed by a friend of mine during our '88 deployment to the PG. We had a contest aboard ship (sponsored by our CO) to design a "cruise patch" that embodied our time in the region. The crew voted on the submissions with the one being selected getting made in large quantities and sold in the ship's store.The winning artist would receive a handful of his patch, free of charge and the pride knowing his selection was the selected.

This patch was NOT the winner, however the skipper decided to have all of the entrants made up anyway so this one got produced in small quantities. I have one of each example (including my own submission).

One other patch design submitted by another shipmate also borrowed on the Yacht Club theme. This one has been reproduced a few times - I think that the manufacturer in the PI continued to manufacture it as it was so generic.

8492569908_5143c8aba7_b.jpg

Patchcollector

That is one nice patch! :) The Tonkin Gulf Yacht club patch was a "novelty" type patch that was worn by anyone who served in that region.I have not heard about the ejecting pilots part of it,but surely they could wear it too ^_^ You are correct about the stripe,that designates how many times the soldier,or sailor had been to that region.

Cool thread! Here is my variant of the Gulf of Mexico patch, which reads Flight Instructor on bottom.

500_mi10.jpg

I have read somewhere that the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club was the nickname of the Seventh Fleet. But also that it was worn by pilots who had to eject over the Tonkin Gulf; is there any truth to that?

Also, what does the bottom red stripe mean? It appears quite rarely on the classic patch design, is it for a second Westpac cruise?

post-110.jpg

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Patchcollector

Cool patch! :)It's neat to hear the story behind it. I'm happy to see more different designs being added to this thread.I have acquired a few more lately,now that this thread has resurfaced,I'm going to find them and post them.

That patch was designed by a friend of mine during our '88 deployment to the PG. We had a contest aboard ship (sponsored by our CO) to design a "cruise patch" that embodied our time in the region. The crew voted on the submissions with the one being selected getting made in large quantities and sold in the ship's store.The winning artist would receive a handful of his patch, free of charge and the pride knowing his selection was the selected.

This patch was NOT the winner, however the skipper decided to have all of the entrants made up anyway so this one got produced in small quantities. I have one of each example (including my own submission).

One other patch design submitted by another shipmate also borrowed on the Yacht Club theme. This one has been reproduced a few times - I think that the manufacturer in the PI continued to manufacture it as it was so generic.

8492569908_5143c8aba7_b.jpg

ZoomButt.gif

• 4 months later...

I hope this is not far off the topic. These 2 cruise patches are from the Naval Security Group on board the USS Enterprise 72-73. GOT is the radio and communications abbreviation for the Gulf of Tonkin. Thought it had some bearing to this thread.

[/url]">http://100_6800_zpsb7a0a027.jpg

post-2322-0-78001000-1538245721_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

I hope this is not far off the topic. These 2 cruise patches are from the Naval Security Group on board the USS Enterprise 72-73. GOT is the radio and communications abbreviation for the Gulf of Tonkin. Thought it had some bearing to this thread.

[/url]">http://100_6800_zpsb7a0a027.jpg

Yeah,those are real nice!I have been picking up NAVSECGRU patches when I can,as I like collecting the "spook" type units patches.One of these days I'm going to gather them together and post them.

firefighter

Yeah,those are real nice!I have been picking up NAVSECGRU patches when I can,as I like collecting the "spook" type units patches.One of these days I'm going to gather them together and post them.

I have 3 nice ones from the USS Constellation.The owners name was on the back.I found a cruise book from the time the patches were used, wanna say 1970/71.I found his picture in the book.

Patchcollector

I have 3 nice ones from the USS Constellation.The owners name was on the back.I found a cruise book from the time the patches were used, wanna say 1970/71.I found his picture in the book.

You need to start posting photos of your stuff!There is a tutorial here on the forum about how to post pictures here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/73611-how-to-upload-photos-for-the-inexperienced/

Patchcollector

Here is a Tonkin Gulf variation,an Aero club piece,worn by Aircrews that patrolled the area.This one is harder to find that the Yacht ones.

post-13386-0-53537200-1372558745.jpg

The Aero Club one is yet again another modern reproduction. Not trying to start anything here, just wanting to ensure folks out there don't think this is the real thing and waste any hard earned cash on them. The only one of there I've seen that was genuine was Japan made with the pre-stitched background. They are very hard to find, but this one pictured is not a period original.

Randy