Navy Yacht Clubs, Seas and Station patches

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Cool patch! :)It's neat to hear the story behind it. I'm happy to see more different designs being added to this thread.I have acquired a few more lately,now that this thread has resurfaced,I'm going to find them and post them.

That patch was designed by a friend of mine during our '88 deployment to the PG. We had a contest aboard ship (sponsored by our CO) to design a "cruise patch" that embodied our time in the region. The crew voted on the submissions with the one being selected getting made in large quantities and sold in the ship's store.The winning artist would receive a handful of his patch, free of charge and the pride knowing his selection was the selected.

This patch was NOT the winner, however the skipper decided to have all of the entrants made up anyway so this one got produced in small quantities. I have one of each example (including my own submission).

One other patch design submitted by another shipmate also borrowed on the Yacht Club theme. This one has been reproduced a few times - I think that the manufacturer in the PI continued to manufacture it as it was so generic.

8492569908_5143c8aba7_b.jpg

ZoomButt.gif

• 4 months later...

I hope this is not far off the topic. These 2 cruise patches are from the Naval Security Group on board the USS Enterprise 72-73. GOT is the radio and communications abbreviation for the Gulf of Tonkin. Thought it had some bearing to this thread.

[/url]">http://100_6800_zpsb7a0a027.jpg

post-2322-0-78001000-1538245721_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

I hope this is not far off the topic. These 2 cruise patches are from the Naval Security Group on board the USS Enterprise 72-73. GOT is the radio and communications abbreviation for the Gulf of Tonkin. Thought it had some bearing to this thread.

[/url]">http://100_6800_zpsb7a0a027.jpg

Yeah,those are real nice!I have been picking up NAVSECGRU patches when I can,as I like collecting the "spook" type units patches.One of these days I'm going to gather them together and post them.

firefighter

Yeah,those are real nice!I have been picking up NAVSECGRU patches when I can,as I like collecting the "spook" type units patches.One of these days I'm going to gather them together and post them.

I have 3 nice ones from the USS Constellation.The owners name was on the back.I found a cruise book from the time the patches were used, wanna say 1970/71.I found his picture in the book.

Patchcollector

I have 3 nice ones from the USS Constellation.The owners name was on the back.I found a cruise book from the time the patches were used, wanna say 1970/71.I found his picture in the book.

You need to start posting photos of your stuff!There is a tutorial here on the forum about how to post pictures here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/73611-how-to-upload-photos-for-the-inexperienced/

Patchcollector

Here is a Tonkin Gulf variation,an Aero club piece,worn by Aircrews that patrolled the area.This one is harder to find that the Yacht ones.

post-13386-0-53537200-1372558745.jpg

Back view

post-13386-0-66930200-1372558767.jpg

The Aero Club one is yet again another modern reproduction. Not trying to start anything here, just wanting to ensure folks out there don't think this is the real thing and waste any hard earned cash on them. The only one of there I've seen that was genuine was Japan made with the pre-stitched background. They are very hard to find, but this one pictured is not a period original.

Randy

That period would be in the last 10 years or so. For those that don't want repros in their collection, take note. It seems you don't like anybody telling you some of your patches are not good from what I've seen over time here. Nobody likes to be told they have an ugly baby. However, as stated before, these posts are for others to read so they don't think that some of this stuff is real and get taken later. You are most welcome to believe whatever you like.

Randy

Patchcollector

You insist on trying to start an argument even though all I did was say "thanks for your opinion".You resort to using terms like"ugly baby" to try and provoke a fight,because you really don't have any proof whatsoever to back up the claim that you are making.

If your "followers" want to believe you,then fine;but typing words in a box and hitting the "post" button is one thing;proving what you are typing is another.

I'm 100% confident that this piece is authentic,and from the Vietnam war era. :)

ZoomButt.gif

• 5 weeks later...
Patchcollector

I just picked up some new Yacht Club patches,these were collected during the 70's and 80's.I believe that they are Italian made.None have plastic backs.

post-13386-0-49831300-1375155603.jpg

Back view

post-13386-0-93498100-1375155636.jpg

post-13386-0-02025300-1375155720.jpg

Back view

post-13386-0-08129500-1375155795.jpg

post-13386-0-61342000-1375155811.jpg

Back view

post-13386-0-04335100-1375155830.jpg

This one is interesting in that it came with the Arc.I've never seen one like this before.

post-13386-0-33273900-1375155849.jpg

Back view

post-13386-0-08691600-1375155907.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Maverickson

Here is a variation that has a red bar underneath the disc,it means that this is the second tour for the buyer of this patch

Hi,

Was wondering about the dimensions of the your two Gulf Of Tonkin Yacht Club patches. Specifically, the smaller of the two!

If possible could you please provide the patch's diameter and that additional height which includes that red bar seen at the bottom of that patch.

Thank you so very much!

Dave

Patchcollector

Hi,

Was wondering about the dimensions of the your two Gulf Of Tonkin Yacht Club patches. Specifically, the smaller of the two!

If possible could you please provide the patch's diameter and that additional height which includes that red bar seen at the bottom of that patch.

Thank you so very much!

Dave

Hi Dave,

They are put away right now.I'll try and dig them out and measure them ASAP,but it may be later this week.Hope you don't need the dimensions immediately!

I learned from a former USN aviator that their party suits were essentially flight suits that had custom insignia directly embroidered on the suit, sometimes with the squadron and persons name embroidered in fancy script. Often they were in alternate colors from the everyday suit i.e. black vs. the issue green. This varied between squadrons.

Yes, I like the division and dept. patches, especially the ones with specialty marks included in the design.

• 2 years later...