Ribbon Identification?

mdavico

Hello, I am trying to identify the last two ribbons located on the lower ribbon bar, center and right side ribbon, on my Grandfather's uniform. He served with the 14th AAF, 322 Troop Carriers, in CBI and was honored for constructing the first ever RADAR, and built from standard radio sets, behind enemy lines, that guided our supplies and planes to there targets. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

post-1840-1195845501.jpg

the last one is a ribbon, I believe, awarded by the Chinese government following WWII. There's a thread somewhere on here about it, but I can't even guess as to a word or two to narrow the search

Center ribbon is China "Cloud & Banner".....there is a medal associated with this one, the end one I have heard been called the "China WWII Victory Ribbon"......I've never seen a medal associated with this ribbon

Bill

the last one is a ribbon, I believe, awarded by the Chinese government following WWII. There's a thread somewhere on here about it, but I can't even guess as to a word or two to narrow the search

Thanks so much, I will try and locate the thread...Mike

Hello Bill,

I can't thank you enough for your info! I have been trying to identify that center ribbon for some time. You have answered for me more than you know, for the sad part of this story is a supposed friend of my Grandfather was going to make a display case for him that included his "322 Troop Carrier" patch, a medal, and a hand signed letter of thanks from Generalissmo Chang Kai-Shek. This person (a police officer of all things)never did make the display and would not return the items to my Grandfather and sadly enough, my Grandfather passed shortly there after. as I understand it, he added these items to his private collection. The medal this guy has must be this very medal because I have all the other medals he received. The medal I will probably never find but the letter I spoke of was issued to a number of AAF personal and I sure would like to obtain a copy of such. If you would know of any sources, I would sure applicate it. Never the less, thanks again for your help.

Mike Da Vico

post-1840-1195869482.jpg

Hello, I am trying to identify the last two ribbons located on the lower ribbon bar, center and right side ribbon, on my Grandfather's uniform. He served with the 14th AAF, 322 Troop Carriers, in CBI and was honored for constructing the first ever RADAR, and built from standard radio sets, behind enemy lines, that guided our supplies and planes to there targets. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Most of the other ribbons have alreadty been identified. The middle one, bottom row is the Chinese Cloud Banner medal. It was awarded in several classes (1 being highest). Many AVG pilots received multiple awards of different classes of the Cloud Banner. Later in the war, other American servicemen received lower classes of the medal for various valorous and meritorious accomplishments.

The picture below shows a USAAF pilot's ribbon rack (sorry for the slight our-of-focue pic) with, on the bottom row, the Chinese Wing Star medal (middle, awarded in grades 1-10 (10 is the highest ever awarded to an American that I know of) and Cloud Banner 4th Class (right). I think all grades of the Wing Star medal had ther same ribbon but, as I said, the Cloud Banner had slightly different colors and arrangement of colors for different grades.

For those discerning eyes out there....yes, the British DFC ribbon is mounted backwards (stripes should go upper left to lower right). However, the ribbons are sewn directly onto ribbon bars and, since that's the way he wore it, I've left it that way.

post-1107-1195869378.jpg

Most of the other ribbons have alreadty been identified. The middle one, bottom row is the Chinese Cloud Banner medal. It was awarded in several classes (1 being highest). Many AVG pilots received multiple awards of different classes of the Cloud Banner. Later in the war, other American servicemen received lower classes of the medal for various valorous and meritorious accomplishments.

The picture below shows a USAAF pilot's ribbon rack (sorry for the slight our-of-focue pic) with, on the bottom row, the Chinese Wing Star medal (middle, awarded in grades 1-10 (10 is the highest ever awarded to an American that I know of) and Cloud Banner 4th Class (right). I think all grades of the Wing Star medal had ther same ribbon but, as I said, the Cloud Banner had slightly different colors and arrangement of colors for different grades.

For those discerning eyes out there....yes, the British DFC ribbon is mounted backwards (stripes should go upper left to lower right). However, the ribbons are sewn directly onto ribbon bars and, since that's the way he wore it, I've left it that way.

post-1107-1195869378.jpg

Thanks a million for your info....Mike

I was wrong asbout the classes. There are nine, not ten. Below is a pic of the ribbons for each class. #1 is on top, and #9 is at the bottom. I can't tell from your photo of the ribbons but,if the blue center has faded or color-shifted to a purplish color, the ribbon could be the Cloud & Banner 6th Class.

post-1107-1195922393.jpg

Awesome uniform & what an equally awesome colorized photo of your grandfather thumbsup.gif . Thats a real shame about his other items not being returned by that low down individual that took an oath to "Protect & Serve" not steal thumbdown.gif . At least that @!#!$ did not get a hold of your grandfathers uniform and other items.

Here's a pciture of the Cloud and Banner 4th class awarded to a USAAF Colonel who served in India, Burma, China and Indochina during the War.

Dave

Gibbons5.jpg

A sincere Thank-You to all that have replied for you valued info, My next task will be to track down a replacement!

Once again, Thanks a million....Mike

Mdavico,

Great uniform and family history. thumbsup.gif

My Uncle 1st Lt. Carl H. Leuenberger was a Navigator with the 27th Troop Carrier Sq. 14th AF in China the same time your grandfather was their.

I am sure they crossed paths since they served off some of the same airstrips as the 27th and 322nd.

I have been a next-of-kin member of the 27th since 04 and elected President of the Foundation 2 years ago. We still have reunions and had our last one in Oct. at Nashville. We plan to have one more in New Orleans next Oct.

My Uncle may have served on Detached services with the 322 but due to the fact their are so few records left I will never be sure.

Up until this last March the Units historian was alive and helping me find whatever information he had. He knew many 322nd personal and spoke to them often.

I also befriended a fellow from close to where I live in Seattle who was a radar tech. His main job was to install the new sets into the c-47's as they arrived for service. He also set up sets as your grandfather did. I will ask him if he remembers him as they may have worked together.

Great stuff and I would like to know more.

thanks,

pmshindy

post-387-1196428740.jpg

Here you see a desin in the center if the oakleaf/acorn upper band.

post-387-1196428804.jpg

Here you see the bullions does not go all the way to the rear of the cover.

Thanks.

4starchris

Mdavico,

Hello, Paul

This is exciting to converse with someone who may have a connection with the 322 TCS! I have been trying to make a connection for some time now. My Grandfather always regarded his service with the AAF as one of the highlights of his life and was proud of it! Although, he rarely spoke of his experience unless you asked him, most of which we only found out about in his last few years. I would be interested in sharing info with you.

I'm fairly certain that there's no medal associated with the "China Liberation" ribbon (the red, white and black one). I heard that the ribbon managed to be designed but the communists took over before a medal was produced.